Patient Comments: Toxic Shock Syndrome - Experience

Question:

Please describe your experience with toxic shock syndrome. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sydney, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 02

I've had oral thrush for over a month now, this is easily the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I got the thrush from taking an antibiotic for two weeks during a bad sinus infection. I now wish I never took the antibiotics, this is awful! It goes away and then comes back within a day. I have been on nystatin and Diflucan for a month, but the best results I've seen is from doing home remedies, like hydrogen peroxide and coconut oil.

Comment from: new mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I experienced toxic shock syndrome (TSS) symptoms from maxi pads 3 days after the birth of my daughter. During her entry to the world, I had a level 1 tear, which was bound together by sterling silver clamps (an alternative to sutures). For days I sat on these super absorbent overnight maxi pads (Walgreens brand), changing into a new pad every few hours the first day. Then I switched to regular absorbency after day 1. Well, by the third night I had the PUPPS (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy) rash suddenly appear (a very strong case with splotches all over my body - stomach, back and buttocks), which my midwife said was due to my liver being overloaded with toxins. But I was feeling stabbing sensations from the inside like someone was scratching me with needles all over my pelvic area, and that wasn't in line with the PUPPS symptoms. It got so bad I thought it had to be shingles, but soon I realized it was early signs of TSS. I had diarrhea, insomnia, itchy palms and soles, and other signs of TSS. After stopping use, the symptoms went away. However, after throwing them all out, I accidentally had one lying around and I used it and the symptoms came back, so I know that my symptoms were from the pads. So buy organic!

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My toxic shock syndrome was triggered through an undiagnosed rectal abscess which had ruptured. I had raised temperature, fever, abdominal aches, dark urine and just a general feeling of death. I wasn't in crippling pain, but I just thought I was going to die and accepting it as fact. We were on vacation at the time, so I just took oral antibiotics and got on with my day. In hindsight probably very stupid. It also triggered a massive gout attack on several areas of my body.

IMAGES

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) See a medical illustration of the female vagina plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW