Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy, Adnoidectomy - Experience


Please share your experience with tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy. How old were you? Did you have any complications? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Na, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had the septoplasty and turbinate reduction. I am on day 6 now. It was terrible for me on first night, caused my nose more completely blocked and the throat was very swollen. I felt like I was dying due to shortness of breath. I could not sleep for a single minute. After removing the cloths from inside my nose I was feeling quite ok for the first day. From days 2-4, I had a little pain but I was able to manage. Don’t ask me about day 5 and 6. I was screaming. I felt like someone was cutting me up with a sharp knife.

Comment from: Vannah , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had my tonsillectomy on 08/12/2021, I’m 24 years old. This has been the worst pain I’ve ever been through. I can’t eat anything without getting sick and everything just burns my throat. I’m down 13 pounds. The pain medicines help me some, but not much. The ear pain is so unbearable, I can barely talk and all I’m doing is sleeping. I can’t wait till I’m healed and can finally eat a nice meal and have a cold drink of ice water without having to sip it!

Comment from: Alyssa, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 20

The first few days after my tonsillectomy were not too bad. I haven't slept much in the last week, pain wakes me up every 2 hours or so. Day 7 and I'm finally able to get fluids down and food down without too much throat pain, but the ear pain is excruciating. I am terrified of vomiting, and ice packs, ibuprofen and Zofran are my best friends. I recommend this surgery 0/10. I would rather suffer sore throats for the rest of my life. Think I'm going to be scarred after this is over.

Comment from: Olivia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a tonsillectomy on September 5, 2018 and considering I’m 53 years old it hasn’t been bad at all. Days 8 to 10 were the worst but the pain medicines controlled the pain throughout. I was off Vicodin by day 11 and basically could eat soft foods from the beginning. I’m now on day 15 and almost pain free. I consider myself very lucky.

Comment from: Clerk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

At 52, like for anyone, tonsillectomy was painful. I had tonsils removed at 21 and it was worse. For the 2nd time (they grew back) on August 31 I had tonsils removed. Immediately after surgery I felt great. Day 2 to 4 I thought what a breeze this was, nothing like the first time 31 years ago, which was a horrific nightmare. Day 5 came and the storm hit, excruciating pain throughout the throat and ear. Day 6 to 8 I had throbbing ear and throat pain beyond belief. Going into day 9 I will stop taking Norco and stay with ibuprofen.

Comment from: Amanda marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I’m on day 9 after my tonsillectomy on 9/24/18. It’s awful. I haven’t eaten or drunk much and it backfired because I threw up and split a scab open which sent me to the hospital. I’ve had C-sections and an umbilical hernia repair, but this pain is by far worse than both of those. Thankfully I worked at my ENT office and the surgeon knows me well so he refilled my medicines however it’s not even doing much. Take ibuprofen if you can. It works best!

Comment from: Anonymous , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I am 20 years old. I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy done on August 15 (8 days ago). The first two days after were very unpleasant. I took my pain medicine every 4 hours to the minute. I was barely eating just because it hurt so much. Days 3 and 4 I saw the most progression but it still hurt. I made sure to stay well hydrated. Day 5 I woke up with no pain. Ever since then just my left side hurts and mornings are back to unbearable. Hopefully these next 2 days I can start eating solid foods.

Comment from: Mony , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am 24 years old and I had tonsillectomy on 8-1-18. I am on day 6, and I keep having this excruciating amount of pain in my throat, ears, and tongue. I am trying to get some sleep but unfortunately it is not happening. I am drinking ice water, eating Jell-O and pudding, and trying to eat mashed potatoes. I know it’s worth it because I can breathe a lot better already.

Comment from: Tonsilmomma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am 37 years old and I had tonsillectomy on June 8th. Pre-operation I purchased a new humidifier filter, bought stool softeners, ibuprofen, Tylenol, Dramamine for nausea, ear drops, saline nasal spray Chloraseptic, and most importantly Cepacol maximum strength throat drops! I bought Bomb Pops, Fudgesicles, strawberry fruit bars, soup, applesauce, and macaroni and cheese. I also purchased drinks like water, 7Up, Sprite and ginger ale. I made puddings, Jell-O and ice packs. Preparing for the surgery mentally I literally worried myself into a stupor and ended up getting huge stomach aches days prior to surgery. Surgery only took 20 minutes. The doctor said my tonsils were huge! I woke up and immediately requested to eat and drink. They smashed up Percocet into apple sauce. Day 1 after surgery was mostly a blur! I slept; then ice packs, cold water, ginger ale, and popsicles. I tried eating macaroni and cheese, but it wasn't happening. My tongue was too swollen to mash anything down. My throat was sore but manageable. Day 2 I woke up knowing it was time for pain pills. Drinks were my friends and I learned quickly that sleep was the enemy! I stayed up and fought through the drowsiness of the narcotic and I felt so much better! I still wasn't able to eat but at least I could swallow. The pain was annoying, not excruciating. Day 3 I ate some applesauce with mashed up banana. After popping the pain pills was the worst! I would fight so hard to not go to sleep. Day 4 I was up every 3.5 hours on the dot for pain pills. It burned more than the last 3 days. Mornings were the worst! My anti-nausea patch wasn't working anymore so I took Dramamine! Day 5 I began to feel like I had something stuck in my throat and my mouth was so dry! It made me nauseous! I realized at that point, I developed thrush. My tongue was in pain, not my throat! The doctor prescribed anti-nausea and thrush medication. I started swishing with half water and half peroxide. By the end of the day, I felt no pain. I did spit up some scabs. Day 6 was pure agony! My ears began to hurt along with stinging in my throat. I took my medicine and forced down a Bomb Pop. My tongue burned and felt like sandpaper. By evening the left side was healing quicker than my right side. I lost quite a bit of scab throughout the day but only on my left side. I downed a whole 64 oz. container of apple juice, ate macaroni and fudge cookie. I had just a little stinging on my right side. I can feel the scabs with my tongue and a majority of the scab is gone! I gargled with salt water several times today so I will give the salt water credit for getting the scabs to come off.


Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More See Slideshow