Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Treatments


What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shae', 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

In 2010 I woke up with a golf ball sized lump in my throat, both visual and palpable. The hospital ordered ultrasound, and then fine needle aspiration. The results were unidentifiable. The doctor Had to do surgery because he couldn't determine if the thyroid nodule was cancerous or not. He did the da Vinci robotic surgery and it was a Hurthle cell tumor. I had partial thyroidectomy (removal of part of the left gland). Less invasive, but you can't be overweight. I weighed 130 and was 5’ 9”.

Comment from: Diane Dykes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with a hot thyroid nodule. I was told it was very large and I had to take a radiation pill by mouth. I had to be in isolation 3 days until it died. I know it had to be done but I am now in my 60s and suffer with body temperatures that seem to never be right. I am too hot or too cold. Please get 2nd opinion because your thyroid is very important to your health. Oh, and my memory has suffered over the years.

Comment from: xxxxx, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a case of diarrhea. My doctor sent me to the hospital to have it checked out. They took a sample and said I had sepsis so they gave me an antibiotic. This treatment did not help. About a week later my husband told me what happened. I have no memory of it at all. He said that he took my temperature and said it was 105, and that I was confused, so he called an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. They put me in ICU. After a week I was not getting any better, so they had to intubate me. I was intubated for 6 days, and every time they tried to get me breathing on my own it didn't work. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and rehabilitation for 1 week. My family still tells me the awful stories of those 3 weeks.

Comment from: Kara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 41 year old mom and consider myself very active and in good shape. I was at my son's baseball game on July 11th, when I started feeling weird, I had pain in my fingertips and my whole body started to ache. I went home and lay down, and I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days! I had all over body aches, worse than I have ever had in my life; I truly thought I was dying. I had terrible night sweats and kept getting very hot and then very cold. I imagine I had a fever but was too ill to get up to check. After I was well enough to drag myself to the doctor, I tested positive for mononucleosis. Two days ago marked 6 months of struggling with this virus. I have extreme fatigue and my body aches are still very present, not responsive to OTC Tylenol or Advil. I am miserable and I too, want my life back! I am told that only rest will help, specifically 3 plus weeks of lying in bed doing nothing! I am a mom of 6, I work, and have a lot of cleaning, laundry, homework-helping, etc. That kind of rest is not an option! I wish there was a cure for this virus. I also wish someone could tell me when I will feel normal again!

Comment from: melwrona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I went in for a routine sinus check because I was snoring and they found some thyroid nodules. I had a needle biopsy done and they said I had some cancer cells. I had surgery for right side thyroid and a week later another surgery for the rest of the thyroid because they said they found cancer cells, and then 3 months later another surgery because they said they did not get it all out (go figure). Well, I was told I needed a 4th surgery because they still did not get it all out because my levels were still a little high for radioactive iodine treatment. I at that point said, you are crazy. I went to a cancer center and unbelievably I never had thyroid cancer. Pathology was wrong all 3 surgery times. I am furious. I now take calcium supplements because they damaged my parathyroid, and levothyroxine. Please if anyone is told they have thyroid cancer and needs surgery, please get a second and third opinion. If I would have had the 4th surgery they would have damaged my vocal cords permanently. As for the medicines it is awful. I have wheezing, snoring still, tiredness, foggy head, restlessness, low calcium numbness, and you name it, I got it. Good luck to you guys.

Comment from: Blue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I just had the right half of my thyroid and isthmus removed a week ago. All in all, the surgery was not bad. I had a large nodule on the right and 3 small ones on the left. I had the choice of having half or whole of the thyroid removed. I agonized over this decision; asking other medical people, researching medical information. There was no clear decision one way or the other. I wanted to hopefully avoid having to take medication. Anyway, I chose to have half removed. The pathology results are benign; so no more surgery. The biggest surprise for me was that the nodule growth was so gradual, I did not realize that my breathing, sleeping, snoring were influenced. I am amazed that I no longer snore; I can breathe in more air without perceived restriction on the right side. My wheezing has all but disappeared. This whole issue was not really addressed with me with the nodule issue. I still have the feeling of something "heavy" on my left thyroid side. I thought that my breathing and wheezing were just allergy problems. Before surgery, I could not lay on my back flat without feeling I was being smothered in my neck. Now that I have had this realization, I wanted to make sure other thyroid patients are aware.

Comment from: vbyrd6, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had thyroid problems since the military doctors decided I was growing too fast. At eleven I was 5'11" and weighed 115 pounds. But I wish they had left me skinny instead of doing a BMR (basal metabolism radiation). Well, over the next several years I gained about 20 pounds a year - until I was overweight. I continued to grow to 6"3" so it was not a successful treatment. Since when is it ever safe to expose a child to unnecessary radiation! Shame on the hospital and any other doctor who decides this treatment is needed. Think again!


Your Thyroid: Common Thyroid Problems and Diseases Explained See Slideshow
Comment from: Heregoesnothing, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 20 year old female college student and my nodules were discovered a few months ago by my doctor during a checkup I scheduled to talk about my constantly upset stomach. Once pointed out I didn't know how I had never noticed. I had an ultrasound within a few days and another follow up appointment the next week. My doctor said that she was pretty sure my nodules were benign and that I had multiple about 3.1 in size (I think that was each one not overall) but that I needed to go see and endocrinologist. I scheduled my appointment for the first available one which was a month and a half out which gave me plenty of time to research and freak myself out. When I went to the specialist she also looked at my ultrasound report and told me since they were not all fluid there was a chance for them to be cancerous and not to worry since no one close to me has a history of cancer. My mom also has a thyroid nodule that she has had since a young age but hers is very small and never grew. I went back to school and the nodules just got bigger and harder. Also while away at school my dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer but we are waiting on results for if it spread to his lymphatic system. I now have another ultra-sounded scheduled and an appointment with my endocrinologist. Although they cause me no pain I am very self-conscious about the large lump on my neck (what female college student wouldn't be) and I think I will opt to have it removed no matter what.

Comment from: Mari Rodriguez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

A couple years ago, my doctor found a nodule in my right thyroid. The biopsy wasn't clear, and the doctors decided it was best to remove the nodule. As they removed the nodule, they also removed a big part of the right thyroid. Since then, I've been taking a daily medication (Synthroid .88).

Comment from: jersey30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

It started with a very stiff neck, then the front and sides of my neck became very hard to the touch, and had a taut/full feeling. I had a CT scan and ultrasound, and now have to have a fine-needle biopsy. During the time it has taken to schedule and have all these procedures done, I have had a spreading feeling of tight/taut skin down my chest, arms and back. I'm not sure if this is related to whatever is going on with my thyroid or if it is something else altogether. I am also scheduled to see a rheumatologist regarding these symptoms because my doctor could not tell me why it is occurring. It is all very scary to me with the progression of these symptoms, but I hope to get some more answers soon. Does anyone know if skin tightening in the chest, arms, etc., can be related to thyroid issues?

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm totally confused. I've felt like there was a piece of string in my throat for 5 months that I can't swallow away. I had a biopsy. Nothing to worry about there, just inflamed. The pain is so irritating (it wakes me in the night) so I had an MRI scan. Nothing there either. Now I have a lump at the base of my throat. No one seems to know what's going on and I'm really weary of it all.


Where is the thyroid gland located? See Answer