Patient Comments: Spinal Cord Injury - Prognosis

Question:

What is your spinal cord injury prognosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: PhilM, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 24

At the end of July 2014 I suffered total numbness from the neck down due to the C4 and C5 discs pressing against my spinal column. The result was that the functions of my spinal cord were reduced by 70 percent, leaving only 30 percent to carry on the functions of the cord. Here is a list of conditions with which I now have to deal. Little bladder control. Bladder may evacuate without my control to hold. I have to wear adult diapers just in case. Ability to lift my right arm above shoulder height is non-existent without assistance. E.g., I cannot reach out and lift a salt cellar from the table. Left arm is very tight and cannot lift it away from my body at all. My left palm is very sensitive, making it difficult to hold onto things. Fingerprints have all but disappeared, making it difficult to hold onto items. Most of right side cannot feel heat until it burns. It is difficult to lift my left leg to keep foot from dragging. Prior to injury I was able to touch-type with both hands. That is no longer possible to any extent. My sense of balance has suffered to the extent I have fallen more than a dozen times. Getting up from the floor is a severe challenge because I am unable to lift my body enough to get on my knees. Ability to button buttons is now non-existent. Ability to tie shoe laces is now non-existent. Any activity requiring the use of two hands is now not possible. I can no longer safely drive a vehicle or ride a bicycle. I can no longer swim. I no longer have the range of motion that permits it. I can no longer engage in sexual activity. I have not had an erection since the surgery.

Comment from: Gog, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

I have had C5 break with severe soft tissue injury in the spinal cord.

IMAGES

Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation See brain scan pictures of Alzheimer's and types of dementia See Images

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW