Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience


Please describe your experience with rhabdomyolysis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Em1992, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I ended up with this ever so lovely condition rhabdomyolysis two years ago. I would have had no idea, to be honest, but I ended up with my airway nearly closing off. My mother is a nurse, who I spam-called at work until she answered. My brother spoke and of course I had to try and speak as well to 'prove it'. Anyway, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, intubated for three days, and transferred to another hospital where they treated my blood which turned out to be septic. My creatine kinase (CK) level was over 300,000.

Comment from: Grace, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 11

I saw my son seated, completely rigid, beet red skin, every muscle tightly flexed, back arched, head thrown back, profusely sweating, eyes rolling back in his head, white foam pouring out of his mouth. Every time he struggled to breathe, I heard gurgling sounds. He desperately tried to talk as white foam and agonizing groans came out of his mouth. Veins popped in his eye, filling the eye with blood. A hospital caused this rhabdomyolysis via forced overdose of Haldol. I had to demand treatment.

Comment from: #LivingDailyWithRhab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. I have lost my strength in my body. I feel like an 18-wheeler has run me over. I can barely walk. I was hospitalized in 2015 where they put a bunch of IV fluid bags inside me. I am having a terrible time with this disease. I have not felt like myself in years. I don’t know what to do to relieve the body aches I feel every day.

Comment from: Rjochum2213, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after a SoulCycle class. My CK (creatine kinase) levels were 70,000 and my quads were extremely swollen and in excruciating pain. Once I figured out what I possibly had since my urine was Coca-Cola colored, I took a cab to the emergency room and was admitted once they received the test results. I was treated for five days with IV fluids to flush my system of the dangerous proteins released from muscle damage. I’ve gained 20 lb. from the swelling and worried about permanent damage.

Comment from: Tracy m, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis over 2 months ago. I was in the hospital for 7 weeks and on dialysis for 2 weeks. My kidneys made full recovery and I was taken off dialysis, however I had no feeling in my legs, mainly the quads and knees. It required 3 weeks of physical therapy to walk with a walker. I have been home for 3 weeks almost and my legs hurt unbelievably and feels like electricity bursting into my legs. I am so scared I won't make a full recovery from this. I wonder if anyone else had similar effects.

Comment from: Tim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

Crystal meth use is a common cause of rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: Unexpectedly..., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

An extreme fitness workout, being out of shape, depression also a contributing factor, and abusing medicines at one point; the result was my diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis. I never felt so hurt in my life before. I felt like my body was shutting down with pain. I like to think it was an eye opener to get help for not only the pain, but for my depression state too. I went to the emergency room and was treated a couple of days for my diagnosis. I cannot always care for myself. Recovery is going well, thanks to the hospital staff!

Comment from: Meme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had rhabdomyolysis for over 25 years. I have had 36 hospitalizations for this. They don't know why it keeps returning but I'm very weak and can't work. I was 16 when it first happened, and now I'm 40. This has been a big problem for me, I never know when it hits me. I'm thankful that my kidneys are still ok but my body is aching a lot. This is not fun to deal with.

Comment from: Maryad, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My husband was alone and unconscious due to a heroin overdose. He did it around 2 am, and woke up on his own miraculously the next morning around 10 am. Nobody knows exactly how long he had stopped breathing, but he fell out on his left side which apparently caused the rhabdomyolysis and he had compartment syndrome, renal failure and liver damage. He can only wiggle fingers and flex bicep in his left arm, and 2 months later still in hospital. He’s only 30 years old and we have 3 young children needing daddy.

Comment from: Gig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was put on Remeron for depression and as a potential sleep aid. On the 3rd week into titration, I headed into hallucinations and mania for 3 straight days and nights; I was the bleaching bunny, scrubbing everything to bird cages. I started losing control of body functions because of rhabdomyolysis and then went into full on seizures and coma. Hospital determined both kidneys shut down and I had liver and slight heart damage. It took nearly a week in ICU, but if not for my family realizing I was in trouble and called 911 I would not be here. I remember nothing. I have compartment syndrome in my right leg but slowly getting back to normal. The leg, might be a whole another story. I could not have made any decision because of the medicine. New approach. Give me a hug and call it a good one. These newer drugs are dangerous. Never again.


8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: Carli , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had rhabdomyolysis twice now. The first time I had a seizure and it knocked me out for ten hours, causing me to be on dialysis for about 3 months, then my kidneys healed by themselves (Thank goodness)! The second time, I was unconscious for over 36 hours from a bad reaction to some medication. They had to cut out 3/4ths of my calf muscle and it has made my foot completely numb and the rest of my lower leg muscle is in so much pain. It's rare to even get rhabdomyolysis once, but twice!

Comment from: wingnutamy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a little overweight, was taking Lipitor. I joined an informal mommy workout group, we did some burpees, some girl pushups, etc. I had been walking a lot, but this was calisthenics, and I'm not used to that. I was very sore afterwards and 'walked it off'. My arms were very sore. Everyone laughed and said, 'looks like you got a workout!' Epsom salt baths were prescribed by my sister, a trainer, and other people concurred. I took ibuprofen. The next day, I couldn't bend my elbows past 90 degrees. I was laughing as I bent down to eat a sandwich. I couldn't wash my hair. I figured I'd done enough pushups to last a long while. The next day, when I was leaving work, a coworker pointed out how fat and floppy my elbow was. I am not that heavy, my elbow flesh could be lifted. I went home and emailed my doctor. But since it was a Friday, they didn't answer, so I called the advice nurse. They made an appointment for Sunday doctor’s appointment, and I spent the rest of the day googling what could be wrong with me. I came across an article about rhabdomyolysis, and was shocked, her elbows looked like mine. I immediately called the advice center, told them I thought I had rhabdomyolysis, and they said unlikely. I repeated that I was on Lipitor and had a heavy workout. I was seen by an urgent care doctor on Sunday morning. She told me, 'Honey, you are just fat and this is cellulite.' I looked her in the eye and told her to please run the CK test. She patted my arms and clucked at me. I was feeling very drained. I still could not wash my own hair because I couldn't reach. I was not having dark urine. My test came back at midnight; 32,000 four days after my injury. I should have gone to the emergency room (ER). The proteins in your blood are highest a day after injury, and they overload your kidneys and liver. Mine were well into the 100 K after my injury. If you even suspect you might have this, go to the ER. If you are as high as I suspect I was, you will need to have IV fluids and possibly dialysis. Statins increase the likelihood you will get this, but I was on statins for some 18 years (minus pregnancy and breastfeeding) and never had problems with exercising. My body did clear my proteins, but my arms are slightly misshapen and are definitely weaker. I was taken off all statins. My friends all apologized. I still work out, but am scared of all things, pushups.

Comment from: Kate2515, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am a diabetic and have hypothyroid. I also take statins but have been on the same one for 13 years. My doctor prescribed phentermine to help me lose weight. I had taken it for a few days with no problem. Then one day I went to dinner with friends and had a few drinks. After about 3 or 4 hours, I took Xanax which I take for sleep. I woke up and couldn't move and realized I was in insulin shock (this has happened before and I recognized the symptoms, although not as bad as this). I could not move except for my right leg where I was trying to get my purse, which had candy in it. I just couldn't do it. Several hours later, my boss came over and found me semi-conscious and took me to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with hypoglycemia associated with diabetes rhabdomyolysis (my glucose was 32). I didn't want to be admitted, so the doctor told me it was most likely due to be being in one position for hours and advised me to drink a lot of water. I stopped taking phentermine because after doing a little research, I found out that phentermine can cause low blood sugar. It took almost two weeks before I finally felt better.

Comment from: Mountain Biker, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I have been an endurance mountain biker for roughly 7 years. We had a kid, I rode a lot less, but still entered into events (8 hour 100 mile races). The last one went fine, slower due to my lack of riding, but I was not sore the following two days, then muscle pain and tenderness started. I noticed two small darker colored urine, but dismissed this as slight dehydration. Finally I tested for rhabdomyolysis, which was confirmed. I have been known for my 'off the couch' performance, guess it has caught up to me. I hope riding more prior to events, and training will help ensure I do not experience this again (2 weeks to naturally flush my system).

Comment from: blessedlife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been athletic all my life but I stopped working out with weights for about 1 and a 1/2 years and I noticed the change in my body. I joined a gym, hired a trainer and had my first session, mainly consisting of cross-fit. It kicked my backside. After an hour, I was sore but thought I just had a good first workout. That night, the pain in my biceps woke me up out of a dead sleep. The next morning, I noticed my arms and biceps and noticing the area around the inside of my elbows were noticeably swollen. I continued to brush it off as normal muscle pain. I went back to the gym that day and showed the owner my arms. He was kind of taken aback at looking at them but also deduced it was normal pain after a good workout. I did some legs and cardio but didn't feel well and left. That night, I literally couldn't bend my arms to my side. They were hard as a rock and looked deformed. The pain was so intense, I didn't sleep at all. The next day, I felt physically sick and my blood pressure, while always low, was off the charts. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was dismissed with anxiety. I left, came home and googled 'can't bend arms after workout' and up popped a photo of a woman's arm and rhabdomyolysis. I knew instantly that's what was happening. My husband took me to a different ER. She tried to convince me I tore my biceps. I was shocked. I told her I believed I had rhabdomyolysis. She almost laughed and said in her 17 years, she had seen it once and that was a drug addict. I demanded a blood test. My levels were 30,000! She said 'yea, drink lots of water and coconut juice'. I demanded IVs to get me started on flushing. I spent a week on my couch sleeping and taking fluids; constant fluids. I was physically ill but after the IVs the pain started to subside in my arms. It's been almost a year and my arms never recovered. My muscles almost seem atrophied. I was scared to death after that to work out and even more terrified that it's so dismissed; even when one presents with clear concern in an ER. It's stated as a 'rare' condition. Don't believe it for a second. Know your body and advocate for yourself because the hospital won't.


Muscle weighs more than fat. See Answer
Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I am 24 years old. The rhabdomyolysis began at the gym. I hadn't lifted weights in over a year and since I used to lift I immediately started my old routine. After a 45 minute workout, I went home and felt fine. Two days later I started to feel off. My skin tone started to look really unhealthy and I had terrible bags under my eyes. I was also extremely sore and my muscles felt like they were on fire all over my body. That night I started experiencing extreme heart palpitations and heart skips. I kept going in and out of consciousness, sometimes hallucinating a little bit only to be woken up unable to breath. The next day I started having chest and bad back pain but not spinal or muscular. I felt like I had the flu as well. I told my dad that something just didn't feel right since typically I would just rest it out. I drove to the doctor and he did an EKG which looked odd to him so he told me to go to the emergency room (ER) thinking I may have had a heart attack. I went there and they said my heart is fine and that they will send me home with some medication since I wasn't feeling well but I had to wait for some blood results, just in case. Twenty minutes later they asked me if I do any drugs, what medications I am taking, and if I recently over exerted myself.' I had a CK level of 16,000 and spent 5 days in the hospital. At one point both myself and my sister who was a nurse at that hospital started to panic because my blood levels had dropped to 12,000, then in a few hours spiked all the way up to 21,000. I was getting fevers and shaking all over, uncontrollably. I am very lucky to have had no kidney damage from this and to have been told to go to the ER otherwise I could have had kidney damage or even failure and death.

Comment from: 26monthsclean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I overdosed on heroin on my birthday, January 21, of 2013. I had been clean for 7 months prior and other than being lonely and bored and having no coping skills, decided to get high 'one more time'. I had sat on the floor to shoot up, and when I went out, must have bent forward at the waist, pinching off my femoral artery to my right leg. My father unexpectedly came home and found me, thank goodness. After many shots of nasal and IV Narcan, and CPR I woke up at the local hospital. My right leg was 3 times the normal size and I had never felt such excruciating pain. The emergency room (ER) doctor hit me with Dilaudid and the next time I woke up it was in the ICU of a hospital. I had zero feeling from midline over and hipbone down on my right side. No feeling, no movement. It was scary. After days of dialysis and IV fluids and I don't know what else, the swelling began to subside, a little. After 7 days I regained some feeling, enough to try to use a walker. It took 2 months to regain the full use of my right leg. I still have two very small 'dead spots' and my leg aches terribly before it is going to rain or snow, but I think of that stuff as my reminders. I am proud to say I have been clean since March 23, 2013 and now work in the recovery field. But that was my experience with rhabdomyolysis, as they so casually call it.

Comment from: Greg, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I am a 22 year old male who started taking a martial arts class along with a weight training class. The classes were not that tough but I was pushing myself to build muscle mass. After 3 weeks of taking these classes, I was changing a light bulb (110 volt) and got a shock. It didn't hurt, caused no pain and I went on with my day and kept working and going to school. The next couple of days passed and I began to get medium to severe muscle tightness and pain on my left side (the side that I got a shock on), but I just thought that I had pulled a muscle from working out. Two days later I woke up and had a seizure-like episode on the opposite side of my body. This happens every time I am standing for too long. I spent 3 days on IV fluids in the hospital and was given medicine for the seizures. Normal CK levels are supposed to be between 60 and 80 (according to my doctor), and mine were at 47,100, indicating rhabdomyolysis. It's been almost a week and I am still having the episodes nearly every time I try to stand up, use the bathroom or take a shower. I am supposed to get my blood drawn again soon to see if my CK levels have dropped. Hopefully it will go away with time.

Comment from: BJS69, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My physician felt due to age, family history and a bit elevated cholesterol that I should be on Crestor. After about 8 days of taking this medication my right thigh and right knee began to ache then blossomed into unrelenting pain. Additionally, my left leg began to tingle. I realized that the only change I had made in my lifestyle was being on a statin. I will never take a statin again. I am still having pain in my right thigh and knee which continues to diminish. This pain was definitely a 10 so, beware as I truly believe I had rhabdomyolysis which can lead to having to be put on renal dialysis in some cases.

Comment from: Richard,B., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 17

On my way back to bed, after a trip to the bathroom, I passed out and fell to the floor where I remained for two days, unconscious. After my relative found me I went to the hospital for a week then to rehab for a few more weeks to be able to walk normally. I have no memory of my hospital stay. I’ve been home now for 6 months and still have severe pain in my lower back, off and on. All I get is pain pills from my doctor for my rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: Dria, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after having a severe panic attack one day at work. I was rushed downstairs (I work in the hospital) with chest pain and tightness and after having numerous lab tests done I was told my CPK levels were over 5,000. I had to flush my kidneys with plenty of IV fluids and had to drink plenty of water for 2 days, and when I was released after my levels came down to 2,000. I still experienced some chest tightness and had to repeat lab tests for the next two weeks with a final CPK level of 248. It was definitely a very scary moment and makes me even more afraid that it could happen again. I think my strenuous workouts at the gym must have triggered it because I am not on any medications.

Comment from: B K, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was found unconscious after being on the floor for approximately 15 hours. I regained consciousness when my daughter found me. But I had no idea how I ended up on the floor and what had happened. In the emergency room (ER) my blood work was done and my CK was over 5,000. I had rhabdomyolysis throughout my skeletal muscle system. I was hospitalized for 6 days with a massive amount of continual fluids via IV. Constant fluids were started to flush the toxins from my blood through my kidneys. Today my CK level was 1,009 and they let me go home. A definite scare for my daughter finding me and my struggle to clear my body of toxins along with fighting CML (chronic myeloid leukemia) for the last 6 1/2 years.

Comment from: In Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am a 48 year old woman, I began taking atorvastatin calcium tablets for about almost two months. I began to notice that while sitting in my rocking chair at night for about ten to fifteen minutes, I would stand up and my legs felt stiff, and numb, I would try to walk and would stagger as if I were drunk. It was not normal. I also began having a lot of muscle spasms in my back, my stomach and on my toes, and that was not normal. My shoulders began to hurt as well, I just wondered why all this was happening to me. I have a herniated disk in my back, and thought maybe that is what is causing me all this. My legs from ankles up to my hips felt like I had a bad sun burn, and anything that touched it had a burning sensation. That was when I made an appointment with my orthopedic doctor and told him the symptoms that I was experiencing and showed him the two new medicines I had recently been put on. He immediately said to stop taking the atorvastatin which was most likely causing all my symptoms of rhabdomyolysis. I hope this helps anyone having these symptoms.

Comment from: Daizyiz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had rhabdomyolysis and heat stroke at the same time. I was running in a collegiate race during the fall and the next thing I knew I was unable to move, throwing up, and waiting for an ambulance with a temperature of 104. It was the most pain I've ever experienced, and I lost about 8 pounds in 3 days until I was finally kept in the hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis (after I urinated what looked like coffee). The recovery has been very difficult, and I worry that I may have kidney problems because I have so much protein in my urine even after altering my diet to contain less. I was taking Bactrim and 150 mg of spironolactone at the time for acne, and think it was a contributing factor to my case.

Comment from: theatregirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had rhabdomyolysis in March of this year. I was in my apartment for two days, going in and out of consciousness and when I was 'awake', I hallucinated, thought people were in my apartment and they were trying to kidnap my granddaughter. I couldn't walk, my legs hurt too badly and I couldn't get up at all so I scooted around on my bottom. The only thing I could reach was the milk in the fridge so I drank milk, had to pee in the trash can because I couldn't reach the toilet and don't ask me how I knew where my phone was, but I found it and called the police to report the 'people' in my apartment. They came, I kept saying 'don't you see them, they're right there!’ They called my kids who came over at 3 in the morning and they convinced me to go to the hospital. Ambulance came and I was in ICU for about a week. Really, the only thing I remember that whole week was the catheter bag they showed me, my urine was the color of coke. If I waited any longer, I would have been dead in less than 24 hours. It's June, and I still have a lot of pain in my left arm and right leg and hip. It's starting to hurt in my right shoulder too.

Comment from: cold war coastie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have enjoyed good health with mild hypertension managed by calcium channel blocker and diuretic, with regular blood pressure readings below 120/80. My cholesterol numbers are all outstanding. Following carotid scan which showed approximately 30% narrowing on both sides and was characterized as 'mild'. Primary care suggested 10 mg pravastatin to minimize future stroke risk. Forty-five days later I began to feel muscle pain in lower legs which increased in severity to a point it woke me for several days in succession. I returned to the doctor and CPK indicates mild rhabdomyolysis. I stopped statin and began rehydration/flush and will return for retest in a week or two. For me, statins are out and I suggest others be very careful when considering statin therapy.

Comment from: Sten cell1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had rhabdomyolysis in my right leg. I was unconscious for 19 hours, when I awoke on my right side on concrete floor I had purple dots on my leg. I tried to walk but my leg kept collapsing. After being admitted to hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis they flushed the muscle, out of my blood stream. Years later the nerve damage and muscle weakness remains. I am looking into stem cell trials with great interest.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 47 year old female. I began to have muscle spasms in my left leg about 2 times per week, suddenly they stopped. I noticed my legs were always tired and it was hard for me to climb stairs, along with this I had swelling in my legs, ankles, feet and then my knees on a daily basis and it became a bit painful. I"ve been experiencing joint pains in my right elbow which limits my reach mobility. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis in October 2013 and admitted to hospital, where my fluids were replenished. I continue to suffer from the swelling almost daily.

Comment from: Overtrainer, 19-24 (Patient) Published: December 30

During school I get increasingly stressed. In order to feel better and cope I tend to workout harder than I should. This caused my rhabdomyolysis. It felt like a balloon filling up my inner chest. Since it was something that I have never experienced I thought it was just gas in my upper stomach/esophagus. It was a very scary experience simply because the pain was so close to my heart so I was worried something was wrong. They told me that I should just work out a normal amount and most importantly, provide time for recovery. It was surprising because I have no medications or alcoholism. One reason I could see it happening is I recently broke my leg and had surgery to repair it. I think the degradation of the leg muscle attributed to the increase of muscle fibers breaking down and not repairing.

Comment from: Noni, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was a 49 year old woman who was exercising regularly. I was on Zocor 20mg for 4 months. Blood work done 2 weeks prior to being diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis came back normal. I became very ill 2 weeks after the lab work and was hospitalized for 6 1/2 weeks and was on dialysis for several months and daily for over a month. My CPK (creatine phosphokinase) level was sent to a special lab for an accurate value and the lab stopped the test when it hit one million. I had speech, physical and occupational therapy for months and then off and on for several years. I am 60 years old and still suffer with muscle weakness and pain. Swimming is the best exercise. Cold is my enemy. I lost muscle mass that did not grow back and I fatigue easy.

Comment from: gturrentine88, 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 16

I was about 14 when I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. I noticed I had significantly dark urine and immediately notified my parents. From there I went to the children's hospital and they told me I had the flu and sent me home. It wasn't until the next day when I got worse that they finally admitted me and after vigorous tests, it was confirmed I had it. My story is unique because only my maternal grandmother and great uncle have it (my uncle is deceased) and there is still no underlying factor discovered that tells me what triggers it. My CPK (creatine phosphokinase) has been as high as 200k! Doctors are flabbergasted and I still have many unanswered questions. I'm getting my daughters tested just to make sure they aren't carriers.

Comment from: crybaby123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I got mugged and was left on my living room floor for about 15 hours before I was found. I was in the same position and this (rhabdomyolysis) was my diagnosis. I do not have high cholesterol and do not take any of the medicines mentioned. I was only told of this diagnosis in an "oh by the way" type of thing upon discharge from the hospital. It has only been about five days. They did not give me any kind of medicine for this. My urine was always a normal color. Now, the left side of my body from my head to my waist is numb. The more I read, the more scared I get. I am already not very mobile due to a previous injury. I'm reading and reading, but have no idea what my prognosis is. The people in the hospital didn't seem to think it was so horrible, but I was pretty badly beaten and they actually at first thought I'd had a stroke, but now I'm really scared. I was in the process of searching for a new doctor and I don't really have one now. I have insurance and all, but not a regular physician. I'm kind of afraid to go to sleep now. While the thought of kidney failure really is horrible, the mere idea of ALS seems way worse and this is now my real fear. I keep reading and am not sure if rhabdomyolysis is related to it, or the statins that people take. I know I should be concerned about kidney failure, but transplants happen and ALS is a horrible death. Maybe I'm paranoid. I don't know.

Comment from: Desperate , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have pain all over, and my muscles ache. I feel like I can't stop moving, trying to work out the pain. My back is terrible, and so are my hips and neck. It feels like restless leg syndrome all over the body, my pain won’t stop. I am taking pain medication and muscle relaxers at night. It feels like I'm going crazy. It’s been going on 3 weeks now. I’ve got to stop and see if rhabdomyolysis is the problem. I am miserable.

Comment from: Anjanet , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Like another commenter I also get rhabdomyolysis frequently, maybe 6 to 7 times a year. It is some of the worst pain I've ever felt. I wish they could find a way to treat the source of my recurrences.

Comment from: Liz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had been doing a lot of walking and took a bunch of pills to make me sleep well. My bed was tilted and if you rolled over enough you could roll off the bed. Well, in my sleep I rolled off the bed and my legs were on top of each other for at least 12 hours. When I woke up my legs were totally gone. I was in the hospital for 28 days for treatment of rhabdomyolysis and I was on dialysis for 3 weeks. I had to learn to walk again. I have extreme pain in my legs to this day.

Comment from: clayton c., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have been just discharged from the hospital today with rhabdomyolysis. I fell 8 times the day before. My right foot is in temporary cast. I have got cellulitis with breaking open of heel.

Comment from: angel wise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am very frustrated I have chronic kidney disease (CKD), auto immune disease, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), frontal lobe syndrome, migraines, and asthma and have been hospitalized four times for rhabdomyolysis and my specialist has yet to figure out why this keeps happening. As of right now I am not allowed to do anything strenuous or physical and I was a basketball and soccer coach previously.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a 50 year old female with polycystic kidney disease, have hypothyroidism, and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I increased my walking regime to nearly 4 miles a day on hilly terrain. After two weeks, I felt uncoordinated, couldn"t walk in time to my music, felt weak, and couldn"t use my arms as I had been. Also couldn"t sleep and had heavy, irregular heart beat and heaviness in chest. Primary doctor said it was too much thyroid medication without doing any sort of physical exam. I went to walk in clinic, was sent to the emergency room where myoglobin and CK were detected in blood work, indicating rhabdomyolysis. I will go for blood work one week later. I stopped Plaquenil and Lipitor. I still feel weak, and very thirsty.

Comment from: pja, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My husband had been taking 20 to 40 mg of Lipitor for several years. I had noticed from time to time that he seemed dazed. One day he was driving and drifted off and ran into the curb and almost had a bad accident. Since he is diabetic, I thought his insulin level was low. Then about two months later, he had a bad seizure which put him in the hospital for three weeks. His muscle enzymes were 138,000 and he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. When we returned from out of town, I took him to his personal physician who swore it was not caused by the statin. And after 2 months, he put him back on another statin - in one week he had another seizure and was removed from taking statins forever. As his wife, I am still very angry. This was several years ago. His cholesterol is now 320 and a new doctor put him on Zetia. We have been watching him closely and after two weeks, he seems ok.

Comment from: Courtney, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My daughter’s father one day decided he was going to exercise and suddenly had a seizure. He apparently had CK Levels in the thousands and was super dehydrated. It's crazy this rhabdomyolysis just happened so suddenly.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

My cardiologist increased my Lipitor dosage to 80mg daily. I exercise by riding my bike 3 to 4 times a week 60 to 100 miles per week. Since the increase in dosage my leg power has reduced and my muscles in my legs are very sore and fatigued. I have tried resting 4 to 5 days without the leg exercise. My legs are still very sore and fatigued.

Comment from: lee1209, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I am a 71-year-old male in good health. I have been taking Zocor (generic name simvastatin) for the past two years. For the last year, I have had severe leg cramps and aches. My doctor prescribed ibuprofen. I can't take it any longer and will discontinue the meds on my own and try to drink lots to stop the pain. I also have been stumbling a lot. Thanks for this information about the meds.

Comment from: kmmommy1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 35-year-old female that was in the Fire Academy. I was a week into the training when, during a run, my left leg went numb. I had severe pain from my hip to my toe. I decided to get treatment, and within hours, I was admitted into the hospital with a CK level of 12,965. I was surprised by the diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis. I had never heard of this. I didn't go into kidney or liver failure, but I was in the hospital for three days with fluids and pain management. It has been four weeks and although my CK is normal, I feel like crap and my leg has significant pain and swelling still.

Comment from: strungout067, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I'm a mother of a then 14 year old boy who had a severe asthma attack. He was brought back spent (9 months in hospital) during his stay in ICU occurred Rhabdomyolysis which has left my son now 24 years old completely disabled because they (doctors) didn't catch or didn't know what they were doing. I couldn't sue because he was 14 and not an infant, but at the end my son was overdosed by Propofol people need to understand the concept of off-label use on medications for you or your loved ones who receive treatments in the hospital.

Comment from: sparky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had always been strong, healthy, and overweight. Simvastatin was prescribed because of cholesterol. I became increasingly tired, felt flu like muscle weakness, tendinitis on both arms legs, headaches and dizziness as well as other symptoms that were not the "top two" the doctors asked about (cramps and pain). I had those intermittently, but passed them off as something I got from yard work, or hiking. After losing 30 pounds I was much weaker than before I began my prescription. I was sent to a heart doctor because blood tests came back showing muscle breakdown. Heart stress test was good, but the doctor was brainwashed into believing that if you could get cholesterol down under 180 you'd be wonderful. It almost killed me with the side affects. I quit my Statin, and 2 plus months later I am feeling better, but still not back to where I was. Statins work by suppressing the liver function. They keep the liver from manufacturing cholesterol, but also prevent it from accomplishing its other tasks including manufacturing other important body enzymes. For recovery you must take minerals --Magnesium selenium, calcium and more. One must take CoQ10, as this is what is necessary for liver to make for muscle repair and is suppressed by statins. Also need vitamins A and D. When on a statin you may not die from heart attack--your heart my just give out due to increased statin induced weakness affecting all the muscles.

Comment from: traderjo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

Five years ago I joined the Jupiter study of Crestor. I felt pain and muscle weakness with dark colored urine after the second month. I stopped the Crestor, and the pain subsided after a few days, but I still had all the other symptoms, vertigo, fatigue, weakness in my legs. Now after 5 years I feel that the symptoms have gotten worse except for the vertigo. At the time Astra Zeneca said to go to my family doctor who did blood work. He said there was no Kidney/liver damage.

Comment from: Wanting to Workout, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Well I had an episode 12 years ago where my CPK numbers were 240,000 (they should be no higher than 100). Then this year I was rushed to the hospital for the dark colored urine and CPK numbers of 280,000. I too felt like a junk after all the tests and blood drawn. Now I am awaiting a muscle biopsy, since the swelling and the inability to lift and walk for a long period of time has not gone away. I am really skeptic that nothing will be found and I won't be able to get back in the gym, and get my body back to what it use to look and feel like.

Comment from: EILK118, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have been on Vytorin for the past 2 years and experienced exhaustion and muscle aches in my legs, especially at night in the calves. It did help my cholesterol levels. Then the doctor decided 3 weeks ago to try me on Crestor. I again experienced exhaustion. Muscle aches in my legs. I called the doctors office and I was taken off the statin for 2 weeks. I have more pep, but still have the muscle aches. I am getting very nervous. What will He tell me to do when I call him next week. The doctor is a Heart Specialist and I have put my trust in him. He does tend to give the highest dose as he sees quicker results. So I am indeed nervous with what his solution will be for me. After reading everyone's comments, sounds to me like the statins are definitely not good for you. I guess everyone has to decide for themselves if they should continue with this type of therapy or not.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My husband took Zocor for about three years. He experienced increasing muscle pain and weakness in his legs, fatigue, and balance problems when walking. He felt so bad he told me he didn't think he had long to live. Doctors didn't think it was his medications, but MRI's, cat scans, blood work, etc., etc., didn't explain the problem. He finally decided to quit taking Zocor to see if that could be related to his problems. He immediately felt better, and eventually returned to good health for a year. Then the symptoms returned, but he had not taken any statins. Eventually he was diagnosed with ALS. So, a year and a half after quitting statins, he cannot speak, walk, sit by himself, and has lost use of left hand, and must eat soft food because he has trouble swallowing. We are absolutely convinced that the statin drug used caused this. We have read testimony after testimony just like ours, and personally know two other people, now deceased, with the same story.

Comment from: jack, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I contracted rhabdomyolysis by taking simvastatin. Although I stopped taking the drug about a year and a half ago my condition continues to get worse. I can hardly walk now and with much pain.

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 07

It was horrible, I could not walk for 7 days without putting every bit of effort I had into just getting to the bathroom with machines hooked up to both arms, but it will get better in time. Mine was caused by a seizure and my kidney failed with sky high creatine levels.

Comment from: Waiting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been taking 40mg Lipitor for 8 years without any noticeable problem. After a Coronary Calcium Scoring test of 423, and because my total cholesterol is 202 with LDL more than 70, my doctor changed my medication to Crestor at a lower dose. I have taken Crestor 20mg four times now. The third time I noticed my left shoulder was a little sore and thought I had slept on it wrong. The day after the fourth dose, I am unable to lift my left arm more than a few inches without significant weakness and considerable pain that seems to be getting progressively worse; insomnia has also been a factor these last four nights. I have discontinued Crestor, and am waiting for my doctor to return my call from yesterday. I'm hoping these symptoms quickly disappear and after much reflection, plan to take my chances by discontinuing all statin drugs!

Comment from: angelgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been on Crestor for 3 1/2 months now and about 2 weeks ago I started having crippling muscle spasms in my legs and arms. I called a doctor and she said Crestor doesn't cause muscle spasms. So now I have constant muscle aching in upper front thighs and area between armpits and breast. It's keeping me up in pain at night and I barely can walk.

Comment from: cejane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was prescribed Crestor at the lowest dose and within a week I experienced muscle tenderness in my forearms. I felt the need to massage them and put heat on them with little to no relief. The next set of muscles to be affected were my calf muscles. I take aspirin to relieve the aching, but the weakness of my muscles is what prompted me to discontinue the medication. Gradually, the symptoms began to reverse.

Comment from: Jessmarie1005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was on Simvastatin for only 5 days, but my symptoms started on the 2nd day. I had terrible muscle and joint pain that basically kept me in bed for three days. My doctor failed to tell me about this particular side effect. It just happened to be a weekend and I could not call him. He only warned me about headaches and stomach pain, neither of which I had. I will never take a statin again. He immediately took me off the drug. Doctors should really be more thorough about serious side effects of these drugs!

Comment from: lm1308, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My brother has this. He went on a night out and fell asleep sitting up on the chair next day he was rushed to hospital where we discovered he also had acute kidney failure. He has been in hospital almost 2 weeks now and is still needing dialysis, his legs are extremely swollen and they doctors don’t know why his leg has got worse. His CK levels were 140,000 when he first went in. They are now down to 1000. It’s scary to know that lying in the wrong position could have killed him.

Comment from: Jessmarie1005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was on Simvastatin for only 5 days, but my symptoms started on the 2nd day. I had terrible muscle and joint pain that basically kept me in bed for three days. My doctor failed to tell me about this particular side effect. It just happened to be a weekend and I could not call him. He only warned me about headaches and stomach pain, neither of which I had. I will never take a statin again. He immediately took me off the drug. Doctors should really be more thorough about serious side effects of these drugs!

Comment from: Frich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

After having read many of the other patient’s comments and poor outcome from having taking some of the statins drugs, it causes me to feel rather lucky for myself. I have been taking 80mg of Zocor everyday for eleven years and at the age of 65, I am very active, flexible, no muscle pain or weakness, walk about 2 to 3 miles a day etc. Apparently I escaped some of the poor side affects that others have experienced. I am sorry for them as I read their medical comments.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with rhabdomylysis after a week in basic training. I.V.'s and blood tests for a week after that, and I was sent home looking like a junky with healing track marks My CK level was at 3,700 the first time they checked, and they stopped checking it when it went down to 600.

Comment from: Richard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I was mountaineering in Italy and after a couple of tough days walking up to about 2,800 meters each day I was sick and my heart rate went up. My heart rate did not come down all night. The next day I went to hospital and was put into Intensive Care where I was on a drip and my heart monitored. My CPK level was at 16,300 (normal around 195). I was transferred to a medical ward, but it took 5 days to get my levels down to 440 at which point the hospital were happy to release me to return home. I had trained and was fit and healthy. I have never had anything like this before. I was told that the cause was over-exertion of the muscles. It is likely heat, altitude and dehydration were factors (despite drinking plenty of water).

Comment from: Page, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I was prescribed Lipitor a couple years ago and within 10 days I was on my hands and knees with nearly all the symptoms of rhabdomyolysis. I took myself off and recovered. Last April, another doctor, I was prescribed Provastatin and was on it for 8 months and again I got everything really bad. Some fingers and toes are crippled with severe joint problems. I slide in and out of Alzheimer's like conditions, fatigue, rapid hot\cold flashes. This is near three months after I took myself off the Statin. No more Statins.

Comment from: Joanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Rhabdomyolysis, sounds like I have it. For 8 years I have suffered with muscle pain and unable to walk over 100 ft. I have been on Pravachol for several years. My Doctor insists it is not the medication. I have been to a clinic for by-pass on my leg. MRI’s, orthopedics, neuro-surgeons, etc. They all said it was vascular or bulging discs. I just finished many weeks of P.T. Nothing has changed. I have muscle pain at night. I went off for 6 weeks on my own. Doctors just can't figure it out.

Comment from: teric, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I started Lovastatin 3 months ago and experienced muscle pain and weakness after 1 month. I also had a fever for 2 weeks with no other symptoms. I had to figure this out on my own when I stopped the statin drug and asked the pharmacist. He told me about Rhabdomyolysis. I'm still having symptoms after almost 2 weeks of no medications. I read it may take a few weeks to go away and lots of fluids help the dehydration aspect. Now I'm back to diet and exercise. No more statins for me!

Comment from: JC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have this and have been on Tricor and Simvastatin for along time. From what I read this is not recommended (my cholesterol and triglycerides are normal and have been for several years). Why didn't my doctor change my meds or at least test for this?