Patient Comments: Post-traumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms


What symptoms did you experience with post-traumatic stress disorder? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: coco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have only been diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder within the past year but have been having symptoms since the I was drugged and assaulted by a fellow military member over 30 years ago. I never connected the two. I just thought I was turning into this reckless person and doing things the 'old me' would never do and I didn’t know why. It all seemed out of my hands, so I ended up feeling worthless and acted as such. I no longer recognized my own self, eventually becoming suicidal. My claim was denied! Back to square 1!

Comment from: Tucker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

In February of 1989 I was involved in a horrific car crash on the 401 in which I was hit head-on, killing 5 people in the car and headed east in the westbound lanes. It spit me up through the windshield and I bounced on the pavement into the grass. I was airlifted to the hospital and I have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) since that day. I have all kinds of anxiety disorders.

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder are fixating on the person who assaulted me, uncontrollable anger, and acting out of character. I am severely emotionally unstable and constantly tired. It made me remember other traumas in my life and play them on a loop in my mind. Feeling vulnerable and unsafe and like I don't know who I am. But the rage. I couldn't stop the rage. Headaches, feeling sick, social anxiety. It seemed to trigger all of my other mental health issues until I hated myself and didn't want to be me or know how to be me anymore.

Comment from: ElizabethB., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My dear friend is the one with esophageal cancer at this point he has been on treatment for about 7 months. The chemotherapy ceased working at about 5 months and course of treatment with radiation was done and a new chemotherapy cocktail is being given now. The recent endoscopy showed the throat was totally closed on top by the tumor, the stent in the esophagus itself is now fully infiltrated by the tumor and the tumor is occupying about a 1/3 of the stomach. There has been no eating or drinking since treatment, started only a feeding tube that goes directly into the stomach on the side. A pump feeds him during his sleeping hours for the most part. The saliva was the most difficult part of the symptoms in the beginning. Now he has enough pain to need the morphine and is feeling so constipated that any awake time he has is spent in the moaning over gastric pressure and pain, and of course the pain medicines make him dizzy and unstable to even walk a few steps, and he is incoherent a lot. The wife's answer to these issues is to plan to take him to Seattle (hours away) in hopes of better treatment than the local place can give her husband. The cancer grows no matter what, it is growing slowly.

Comment from: maha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

She is 55 years old and in menopause since 7 months. She had sudden onset of increase in her belly size with mild nonsignificant pain in abdomen. She was admitted to hospital after ultra-scan that showed huge amount of ascitic fluid in abdomen, no pleural effusion. Normal KFT, normal LFT, CBC normal, mild increase in blood pressure 150/95, FBS normal, hepatitis B and C negative, ascitic fluid analysis shows WBC 1800, RBC 6000, protein 6 gm. Sugar 3 gm, neutrophils 55 percent, lymph 305, CA 125/167, CEA, AFP, CA19 all within normal.

Comment from: erin_g, 55-64 Female Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in August of 2015 at 29 years of age. I had a severe case where I was hospitalized for 6 days with pneumonia caused by the virus. I was really sick for about six weeks; after which I began to recover. It was a long process and I haven't felt 100 percent since. Here we are six months later and I am now having a lot of the same symptoms that I had with the initial outbreak but I don't have a fever. I have abdominal pain, foggy brain, chronic fatigue, an upset stomach, headaches, and muscle weakness and muscle spasms. My doctor said that I could have symptoms for up to a few years after the initial infection. I have been to the doctor and the emergency room and all of my blood work looks fine. It started with a cold about four weeks ago. I have been out of it ever since. I find it difficult to focus and think, and I feel like I am stoned all of the time. If this is because of mono, I wonder if there is any light at the end of the tunnel and if I will ever feel normal again.

Comment from: Lknva, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It was a shooting at home outside involving a crazy neighbor and I was standing right there when it happened. He shot my dog in the face. Dog lived and no he didn’t bite the guy but anyway. Ever since I have such fear and panic about doors being opened. It took me 9 months to wear what I had on that day again, and realize that my outfit would not cause the scene to repeat. The shooting was on a Friday morning so I was nervous on Friday mornings for a couple of months. I have nightmares about the neighbor being out to get me and my family since we're all still living in the same places and it's been almost a year. We're looking to move soon and I look forward to that and think it will make a big difference.


Stress Relief: 10 Ways to Stop Stress See Slideshow
Comment from: jazzybet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was in a stalking situation 30 years ago, I was kidnapped, strangled and left for dead. I almost lost my life during a four month period of time five times. I was also molested by my grandfather when I was 13 years old. I thought I was fine for 30 years. One day due to stress from a job that I was trying to be perfect at, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. I started to relive the past horror, and started having anxiety attacks, nightmares, and found myself sleeping in a closet. I finally got help after all these years. I still take medication and go to therapy every two weeks. It has been 9 years and I have been off work, and avoid most public places, and fear dark places like movies. I haven't had a successful relationship personal or romantic. Get help as soon as you can is my advice. I walked away from my family and didn't see them for years. I don't participate in family events. And I am now known as the strange aunt. Medication and therapy saved my life.

Comment from: 97weav103, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with PTSD at age 18. I had suffered 18 years’ worth of physical, emotional and mental abuse by my mother and step-father who were both alcoholics. Nothing so far has helped my ptsd more than I have. I still suffer through all symptoms as well as behaviors and thoughts. However accepting my ptsd was the hardest thing I had to do but probably the most beneficial. I can’t seem to stay in therapy and drugs do not help. Also been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, gerd, ibs, fibromyalgia and rsd. Acceptance is the key and when you can choose to accept and build a self-help process from there is when you can learn to live with this condition.

Comment from: bg, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Symptoms I experienced with PTSD include, problems falling asleep, nightmares, flash-backs, hyper arousal, a fear of intimacy, depression, anxiety, anger, numbness, memory loss, fatigue, restlessness, avoidance, irrational thinking( feeling as if things aren't where they are supposed to be, because they've changed in the years since the trauma), re-living the event, easily startled, poor concentration, suicidal thoughts.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My first symptom of post-traumatic stress disorder was waking up the day after the major event and feeling the whole left side of by body numb, burning, and aching. I told people, and they were afraid I was having a stroke. The weirdest part was that the left side of my face tingled -- about a triangle starting from the lip area and ending at my left ear. I got to the ER thinking of the stroke. They kept me there all afternoon, did a CAT scan, and told me I did not have a stroke. They filled out a prescription for stress. Then I deteriorated. The work situation was so sickening that I lost my confidence. A psychiatrist in administration told my boss who perpetrated the stressors that I acted like a deer in a headlight. I was put in a work health day program, and instead of improving, I got worse. It took me four months to be able to go to the area around work and I cried inconsolably. My homework was to stay there until I calmed down, but I could not. Then one month later, I ventured back. This time my husband drove and went to the parking structure all the way to where I parked and the location where the issues started on my first day at work. I was hysterical and my husband cried, as he had no idea how much this had changed the woman he married. After 10 months in treatment, taking 150 mgs of Zoloft per day and anxiety medication, I was able to walk back into the work environment but only with the help of the anxiety medication. I felt better this past summer; I had acupuncture from January to August 2010, but the physical pain and face symptoms are back, especially when I hear the work place’s name or they attempt to contact me.

Comment from: Boots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had my left thyroid removed 4 days ago and I feel great! I was really surprised about the pain I had afterwards. There was hardly any pain. My throat was a little sore. I took 2 pain pills, but I didn't really need them. I wanted to tell someone about my experience because I was so very afraid about the surgery.

Comment from: civet, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My life in my memory is only fragments. I thought my life was normal until I was bullied as a 55 year old at work and fell apart. Now I'm barely enduring each day. I really can't stand the pain of life as it is.

Comment from: unfair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had nightmares for 6 years.

Comment from: mick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was the victim of a domestic violence situation 14 years ago and underwent 10 years of counseling, which gave some relief, but the symptoms are still there. I don't think I’ll ever get rid of them. I still startle easily – the beatings were severe and I was raped up to 10 times a day. He was on the run from the police for 10 years until he was finally caught and received six years prison.


Panic attacks are repeated attacks of fear that can last for several minutes. See Answer
Comment from: leeTimber, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

After my Heart attack - I felt very anxious that I was on the verge of having another, and afraid to do anything. I worked with the Hospital LISW and started taking Xanax. This seemed to quiet the fear factor that I was creating in my head and allowed me to start an exercise routine. I think seeing how my MI affected my wife was the worst part.

Comment from: ralph6499, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 45 year old female, other than being overweight I have no health problems. I started out having migraines, then seizures and syncope (passing out). I am constantly thinking of suicide, tearful, angry (RAGE) feelings of worthlessness and hatred. I have been seen by so many neurologists it is not funny. Finally a psychologist is the one that thought maybe I had PTSD, so he referred me to a psychiatrist and he confirmed what the other doctor said. Now I am on anti-depressants, but they are not working. My RAGE is worse now than ever and my suicidal thoughts are daily. No insurance so no doctor will touch me.

Comment from: 13-18 Published: November 02

I'm young and have just been diagnosed with PTSD. My symptoms consisted of not being able to sleep, worrying, anxiety, guilt, sadness, restless, and also suicidal thoughts. I feel like I will never be happy again and I feel like I'm nothing anymore.

Comment from: k?, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I recently have been diagnosed PTSD in January of this year I began having seizures, I've been to the Mayo and I have also been diagnosed with non-epiliptic conversion disorder.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have panic all the time, I worry constantly, it can take me hours to get out of the house, anytime anything is out of my control, I’m full of anxiety because I don't know what might happen. It’s a terrible way to live. I can't sleep at night because I worry about everything. I get sweaty, my heart races, I feel like I’m going to die and wish I would. I’ve been dealing with this all my life and tried so many things that haven't worked.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Terrors, can't breathe, heart pounding or fluttering, can't sleep, bingeing and purging, isolation, sweating, avoidance, scared all the time of anything that isn't in my control. I just want to sit in the corner and disappear.

Comment from: Lucille51, 65-74 Male Published: May 18

A friend of mine had wife to die in April of 2010 and son in July 2010. He has had 4 accidents since the deaths. Last accident, he just came in and out of reality. The accident last was on Feb. 15, 2011. He got out of car and told by standers to call our family and gave them the number to call. Within an hour the hospital send him to another state. When our family visited him, they said there was nothing physically wrong with him to cause this condition. He was on a ventilator for a couple of days; got off and was doing fine. Suddenly, they sent him to a nursing home and he is losing all hope and doesn't seem to remember much at all. Sometimes he recognizes us and sometimes he doesn't. This is so hard to understand. Can anyone out there relate to this. He was walking fine and then just quit--now stays in bed and will not talk, focus, etc---only calls his son's name. What possible thing could have happened besides maybe a mental breakdown. If anyone knows anyone who has had this problem, please reply as this man has no family left and we are trying to help him. He just turned 72 in April.

Comment from: worrywort, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am constantly worrying. I don't like large crowds. I cry easily. Sometimes in certain situations I get overwhelmed. Heart beating fast. Sweaty palms. Just an overall want to run away and hide. I do not believe in pills. So I go thru life like this. I am so sick of it. It gets too much at times.

Published: February 24

My posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms are severe vertigo, nausea and vomiting, nightmares, chest pains, lapses in memory, inability to sleep, and confusion.

Comment from: Michael, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

With posttraumatic stress disorder, I have racing thoughts, confusion, sleeplessness, excessive worrying, suicidal thoughts, and tearfulness.

Comment from: ALoMenos, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

Ever since I was two years old I’ve been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. Now I am 18. I suffered a lot throughout the years. I've been through everything in the book. One specific event was most of my family died at a wedding the same day of my 18th birthday. Also I was told all my life that my real family was just my aunt, uncle, cousins, and grandma. Also I have a half-brother missing.

Comment from: WEM461, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder from a marriage to an abusive and violent man. It really did a lot to my mind, and I will never be the same. The nightmares are still the worst. My advice to a lot of women who are out there living the same way, is to get out before it destroys your mind totally, like it almost did mine, abuse and violence is a horrible thing to go through, let alone fear for your life.