Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Diagnosis


How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kati, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2012, I had a bulls-eye rash, and after 3 weeks I was IgG and IgM positive on the Western blot test. (I got amoxcillin). In 2017 I had lost my consciousness several times, and diagnosed with arrhythmia, solved by pacemaker. Now, in 2019 I again had an episode, lost my consciousness and it was diagnosed as epilepsy. I have IgM positive and IgG negative test this time. I wonder if these were the late manifestations of Lyme. If it is in the brain, I wonder if I can have a negative IgG test result.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 14

I was persistent. I had flu like symptoms, low grade fever, skin rash, not your typical bull’s eye rash, and fatigue in August. I knew something was very wrong so after 4 trips to my doctor and 4 trips to the emergency room, it was a dermatologist who within 5 minutes diagnosed me and started me on doxycycline. I had two negative Lyme blood tests which is normal and still had Lyme, but thankfully this doctor knew what was wrong with me. After 5 weeks of antibiotics the flu symptoms and rash went away. I still have headaches though. My advice, listen to your body and take action.

Comment from: s1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was on holiday in Spain and got bitten on leg three times by what I thought were mosquitoes. I used cream on them and had antihistamines for the first 10 days. However, one bite continued to grow and change shape, it started to form a ring around a bullseye. I then attended the hospital there and saw three doctors, and one of them diagnosed Lyme disease straight away. I was given two week course of doxycycline. I have though had migraine 3 times since contracting Lyme and a headache every day since. I am not sure if it is one of the side effects to the doxycycline or due to Lyme.

Comment from: tini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a deer tick on me for two days, but the university that identified it advised me not to get it tested and I did not. I had the prophylactic 200 mg dose one time, and about 4 weeks later developed fatigue, dizziness/vertigo, and twitching eyebrow. The doctor diagnosed benign positional vertigo (BPV). Then three weeks later I had severe vertigo with vomiting for two weeks, then my eyes started twitching, and my face went numb; the doctor’s office thought it was an inner ear problem and advised a nasal spray. I had had two negative Lyme tests. I went to an herbalist and that helped with the numbness and I got a really red rash from the herbs. Finally it went to my knees at the third month, and I got the tick DNA tested, positive result, I knew once it was in my knees. I fought my doctor for antibiotics.

Comment from: Shar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I started out with a headache which progressed to a stiff neck and all over achiness. Then I developed a fever of 104. I went to the emergency room (ER), they did a spinal tap and head CT which were both negative. They said it was just some sort of viral infection and would just run its course. I went back to the ER 30 hours later with an even more severe headache, fever and very tired. I heard the same thing, just a viral infection. Saw my primary care physician two days later and that’s when the rash appeared on my groin and Lyme disease was diagnosed. Now I'm being treated with 3 weeks of doxycycline. I'm hoping to feel better soon. Never felt this bad in all my life.

Comment from: Vicki , 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 09

I’ve known about my primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) for a couple years. You have to learn to live with the fatigue but my big problem is weight gain, for which my specialist says is due to the liver not processing food as a normal liver would. I had a stroke a year before and colitis makes dieting and exercise very difficult. I wonder if anybody else has this problem.

Comment from: kim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I had rashes which got worse every time I went on a plane. The doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the plane. Then my knees and hips started to hurt. Then I got chest pain and became breathless on exertion. The cardiologist couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. He told me to just take an aspirin before I go on a plane. So I did my own research which led to a self-diagnosis of Lyme disease.

Comment from: mlee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease last summer and since have had blood come under the skin when I bump something. I have also had my heart go out of rhythm and wondering if that can be part of the Lyme disease.

Comment from: lymes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I found a tick on the right side of my stomach almost 2 weeks ago. At first, the bite was small and resembled a mosquito bite. Three days ago, (1.5 weeks after the initial bite) the area had begun to develop a bull’s eye rash. I immediately went to the doctor the next day, was given a blood test and am still waiting for the results. In the meantime I was prescribed an antibiotic, 3 pills a day for 2 weeks. This is the second day on the medication. So far I have not had any side effects at all from the tick bite (other than the rash) and no effects from the medication. I have been reading some pretty awful stories on here so I am hoping my symptoms will not begin to go downhill as time passes. I was diagnosed very early on, so I am hopeful I will have a speedy recovery!


Lyme Disease See pictures of Lyme disease and other bites and infestations See Images
Comment from: mjr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I collapsed in my bedroom and was taken by ambulance to the emergency room (ER). I had bull’s eye rash and WBC count was very low. Diagnosed with ehrlichiosis and Lyme disease. I had IV antibiotics followed by 28 days of doxycycline. I was very weak and shaky for 3 months (disability). I had severe knee pain and unable to continue, I retired. It is hard to focus. After almost a year I am still not 100%, no physician want to diagnose; chronic Lyme.

Comment from: nickbarkley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I became violently ill, very high heartbeat, they found mitral valve prolapse. My tongue turned colors as did my fingernails. I could not keep food down, poured sweat day and night lost weight would have died. I got treatment for Lyme disease because I had bull’s eye on the left side and red rings all over top of right thigh; 16 years later I am disabled in spite of 9 years treatment.

Comment from: abc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was disoriented, and ended up in the emergency room. After a quick complete blood count test and urine analysis, they transferred me to a psychiatric unit. I was discharged after a few days, but shortly after began falling, vomiting, etc. I saw a doctor to get answers who tested for Lyme disease and several others. For some reason the elevated Lyme antibodies results were overlooked. I went to the infectious disease section for answers, and they suggested based on my symptoms, that I had encephalitis. He asked for a copy of all laboratory reports, but only saw the negative western blot, and not the antibodies. I continued having muscle weakness and headaches, which progressed to dizziness, poor memory and generalized weakness. I needed answers and went to a holistic doctor who said I have Lyme disease. I looked back at old laboratory reports and noted the elevated Lyme antibodies from 7 months before and faxed them back to both doctors who repeated the tests and I finally got a diagnosis!

Comment from: Maguire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was sick with aches and pains and a sore on my shoulder. On the third day I felt like I couldn't move and went to the hospital after seeing the circles on my skin, where I was diagnosed with Lyme disease.

Comment from: Chronic tired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

On November 18 2013 I was bitten by a tick. I removed the tick with my finger by mistake. I went to the general physician for antibiotic for tick bite. Finished antibiotic prescription within 72 hours. I had been perfectly healthy before the tick bite. I have flu like symptoms, digestive issues, chest pain, and joint pain. Specialists have taken MRI and CAT scan; all clear and healthy. I was tested for Lyme disease. The Canadian test came back negative on Western. I wonder if you can have negative test and still have Lyme disease.

Comment from: Swingo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I was unaware of the round "target" rash on my back. I never found a tick on me. Over a year went by before I finally saw a dermatologist for the "unusual" rash. He thought it was ringworm, took a skin sample to test. He called me the next day to tell me I had Lyme disease and sent me to a rheumatologist. This doctor didn"t believe in Lyme disease and told me I have joint pain due to my Crohn"s disease, an auto-immune system disorder. However, I had no previous joint pain (30+ years of Crohn"s) and developed severe spondylitic arthritis within and during the year I was undiagnosed with Lyme"s. I now have constant joint pain in my large joints, and I suffer from massive headaches 12 to 25 days a month. I use analgesics as rarely as possible and I never use narcotic pain relievers. It"s tough.

Comment from: Certl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was diagnosed with Lyme’s 7 years ago, I have had 2 flare ups of it in the last 3 years. I was then diagnosed as anemic just this winter, plus I’m having terrible skin lesions, no doctors are connecting dots to Lyme’s because blood is not showing elevated levels. I am taking iron as of now and to continue till April.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My son’s case of Lyme disease was diagnosed this week. He had swelling in his knee which we thought was from a football injury. They drained his knee and sent the fluid for testing which confirmed Lyme disease. He had no symptoms of the disease.

Comment from: moonbeam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

One day I had pains that started in ankles and worked its way up my joints. Then chest pains started and I decided to see doctor which is where they found I had Lyme disease. I did not have any rash or bull’s eye mark.


The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer
Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Today I went to see my primary care physician and he looked at the bull’s eye rash on my lower leg, diagnosed Lyme disease, and wrote an antibiotic prescription. So far there is just pain in my right hip and a headache everyday for 2 1/2 weeks.

Comment from: BJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been treated for knee pain by 3 doctors since February 2013. They couldn’t find anything wrong with my MRI or X-ray. Finally I had blood work for Lyme disease after months of severe pain and swelling of my right leg. I had to use a cane to walk. I had fluid removed 3 times and needed pain pills. My blood work was positive and I took antibiotics for 30 days. Finally after 10 months I am feeling a good deal of pain relief but still have some swelling of my knee. Have been left with permanent damage to my knee. It was a nightmare.

Comment from: 13-18 (Patient) Published: August 27

Six years ago, I began experiencing severe headaches and visual disturbances. Whenever I stood up my vision would either go black or I would see swirling colors. My doctor said it was migraines and left it at that. Upon visiting my eye doctor for a routine check-up, he saw that my optic nerve was swollen and raised and that I had hemorrhaging in my brain. I was told to get to the neurology center of a very good hospital right away. It was there that I found out I had viral meningitis and received a spinal tap that lasted 45 minutes. My spinal pressure was 400 (normal is 100) and they drained 30 CCs of fluid. A few days later, I got a call saying they tested my spinal fluid for Lyme disease and it turned out positive. I was then started on IV antibiotics for 28 days.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I noticed what I thought was a spider bite in July of 2007 on my lower abdomen. A couple of days later, I noticed a small, red rash (in the vicinity of the bite but not around it) that was hot to the touch and itchy. I spent a lot of time on the Internet looking for information on spider bites because I never saw a tick. However, over the next week, it progressively grew larger and developed a bull’s eye-look. I had also been suffering from very painful joints since the rash appeared. Finally alarmed, I went to the doctor and was immediately diagnosed with Lyme disease. Since that time, I have gone through two treatments of antibiotics. The second was prescribed months later because I still suffered from joint pain. To this day, I still suffer joint pain in my hips, and the pain is worse some months than others. However, I think I am luckier than about half of those afflicted. If you are reading this (I really worried at all the horror stories when I was diagnosed), don't expect to be healed totally, just be thankful that it isn't worse.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

About three years ago, I began do experience dizziness and severe fatigue, along with many other symptoms including chills, chest pain and low blood pressure. The doctors were almost certain that the problem was with my heart, but after many tests, no heart problems were found. A cardiologist recommended that a Lyme test be performed. The results showed one band as positive, but since this didn’t meet the CDC’s criteria, I was told that I didn’t have Lyme, so no antibiotics were given. After several more doctors and diagnosis, a diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was determined. As my symptoms continued to get worse, including severe brain fog, I began to experience pain in my joints. I requested another Lyme test, which also came back negative. After much research on my own, I found a doctor who looked at more than just the standard Lyme test. Tests performed on urine, stools, and blood revealed that I not only had the primary bacteria for Lyme, but also a co-infection bacteria. As I finally started the antibiotics three years late, I am hopeful that I will regain the ability for some normal activities.

Published: July 24

I lived in NYC and I used to visit some friends in Northern NJ. Evidently I was bitten by a tick. My symptoms mimic a lot of different diseases, from ear and throat infections to literally explosive diarrhea. It went undiagnosed for months and I became very weak and very sick. I used to hear a buzzard like sound in my brain etc. Many times I was given antibiotics for an ear infection and the symptoms will be less for two weeks. Finally, a Lyme test was done, but it came back negative. Still I was getting progressively sicker! I had acute pain on my lower back and around my liver and stomach area. My gall bladder was taken out and there was nothing wrong with it. Finally a second Lyme test was done again and it came back 9 out of 10. I was placed on high dosages of Penicillin. Nonetheless, I suffered a facial paralysis and a brain bleed. Fortunately my "stroke" didn't cause any permanent damage. Somehow when I have a cold or a stomach virus, similar Lyme symptoms reappeared. I have also become sensitive to daylight.

Published: July 21

It started with flu-like symptoms, fever and chills, which I found strange since it was summer time--not your typical flu season. I had a small, red bump on my leg, which 10 days later started to spread into the characteristic bull’s-eye rash. I was not familiar with the rash caused by Lyme Disease, so I thought it was a spider bite or some other bug bite. After my dad mentioned that maybe it was a tick bite, I did some research online. I looked up pictures of tick bites/Lyme Disease and immediately knew that this is what I had. It was late evening, so I immediately went to the nearby Acute Care Center. The doctor took one look and had no doubt that it was Lyme Disease. I was put on a long course of antibiotics, which cleared the rash and thankfully, I have not had any residual symptoms thus far. I am so grateful that I was quickly and accurately diagnosed.


What Is Lyme Disease? Symptoms, Rash, Treatments See Slideshow
Published: June 25

Last year, it started with chills and a fever and a massive headache. Two days later, I went to my primary doctor who told me to go to the ER for a spinal tap. When I got there, they wouldn't do it. They told me I had a severe kidney infection from being dehydrated with the flu. They gave me Cipro. A week later, I went back to the ER, and they told me I had a migraine, and sent me home. Three days later, I went back in the ER, had a spinal tap done, and was diagnosed with viral meningitis and lyme disease. At least the hospital wrote off the first two co-pays.

Comment from: Wolf, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had Lyme disease since 2004. Hit it hard with doxycycline for months. I moved from Kansas to a higher altitude and most problems, headaches, sight, joint pain went away. Now I got the pictorial results from my colonoscopy and man, strange looking images. I can't find any information of what Lyme does to the inside of the colon. Many polyps! Looking for others who might have gone down this path before me! Thanks for your time!

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

Please know it is contagious. I gave it to my husband; he did not have Lyme until after we were married and they did tests on him!

Comment from: tim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I just got a call from my sleep therapy doctor telling me I’ve tested positive for Lyme disease. For the past two years I’ve been told I might have congestive heart failure but sometimes they see it and sometimes they don't. Out of nowhere without warning my blood pressure shot through the roof and my body was so full of fluid that I could not breathe. I have been wheezing and coughing and my knees don't work sometimes. I have been uncharacteristically nervous and worrisome, I have been jumpy and keep thinking I’m seeing things out the corner of my eyes. I used to have a mind like a steel trap and now I can't remember things I’ve said or done or want to do. I feel like I’m going crazy or losing my mind. I have a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine which helps a lot but I know something is just not right and this is what I keep telling my primary care physician. So now I think this is it.

Comment from: Concerned mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My son was misdiagnosed with ringworm because he had several rings. Eight months later, his knee swelled to the size of a softball and he couldnt walk on it. He was sent to an orthopedic surgeon. The ortho thought it could be arthritis and as an afterthought, decided to test for Lyme disease. Sure enough, he had it for around a year. He's 12 now and thankfully doesn't seem to have any lasting affects.

Comment from: SK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was bitten by a deer tick while at a pool party, not in the woods. I thought it was a mosquito bite. After 5 days I had a severe headache, ringing in my ears, fatigue, joint pain especially in my foot on which I recently had surgery. I went to the family doctor and even though I had the textbook bulls eye, he diagnosed hyper reaction to insect bites. I was put on Prednisone, Benedryl, and Ibuprophen. Five days later I could hardly get out of bed. The bulls eye had spread from my side to under my left breast and my back. I called my dermatologist and they saw me as an emergency. They diagnosed Lyme and put me on the doxycicline and ordered the blood test. A week later I started to feel better than I had but not cured. However, only two of the bands came back as positive on the blood test. I continue to get better but the blood tests are so inaccurate that it seems they are worthless. I had all the standard symptoms. I am thankful that the dermatologists are treating for the disease despite the test.

Comment from: Jose, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I began feeling a pain on my right shoulder, I thought it was because I had lifted a heavy object. Furthermore, I started having fevers and a stiff neck that lasted over a week. I went to the ER for the stiff neck and was not properly diagnosed. My stiff neck went away in a week but I started to get more fevers. I went again to the ER and this time they determined that I had Lyme disease. To make matters worse, the disease had affected my heart and I was having irregular heart beat. I was given medicine and with time, the symptoms started to go away.

Comment from: Allan C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I was tested positive for Lyme in the early 90s. I was the 76th person in Pennsylvania recorded by the CDC with blood tested positive Lymes Disease...I treated for a full year with dual antibiotics and a regiment of other drugs..I was fortunate to find a Lyme expert in Hermitage Pa. Dr. Chandra Swaami...Thank you Dr. For saving my life.

Comment from: Woodsman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I lived in New Jersey and spent a lot of time outdoors. I suddenly suffered a persistent headache, fatigue, and severe joint pain (like broken glass in the ball- and-socket joints). A co-worker who had the disease a year earlier told me the symptoms sounded like Lyme disease and asked if I had had a rash. Upon examination, I found the classic bulls-eye rash at the beltline on my back. I went to my doctor, who had been treating a huge surge in Lyme disease cases. He looked at the rash, did a blood test and prescribed antibiotics without waiting for the test results. The symptoms were gone in a few days -- actually well before the test results came back positive. Over the next five years, I contracted the disease three more times, only once with a rash. Once you've had it, the symptoms are unmistakable. It responds very quickly to antibiotics when it is caught early.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with Lyme disease after three months of flu-like symptoms and severe knee and foot pain. Finally, after several tests and an expensive MRI, I was diagnosed. I was put on doxycycline and had a severe reaction to that, so then they put me on a different medication. My pain has never gone away for good. I still have bouts of pain and fatigue that last weeks.

Published: July 30

I was ill for more than eight years. I was misdiagnosed and labeled as crazy until my husband became just as sick. We found a doctor through friends, driving three hours one way to see this doctor. This doctor, one of more than 50, finally did the Lyme tests and confirmed that both of us had it. Yet, how long were we sick before symptoms got this bad? I can’t say because I can’t remember a healthy day.

Published: July 21

I was bit by a tick last Sunday (seven days ago) and decided Wednesday, after a rash had appeared, to go to a walk-in clinic. The physician there said he believed it was just an infection and that antibiotics would clear it up. Today, after four days, the rash has actually gotten worse. I went to an urgent care clinic on the recommendation from my primary care physician. Today, the physician there diagnosed it as Lyme disease and prescribed new medication.

Published: July 16

After a tick bite producing a distinct bull’s-eye and repeat prescriptions of doxycycline in April, I continued to feel worse to the point where my legs constantly hurt and I would fall down sometimes. I was treated twice more with doxycycline through August. Then, four months into being told by doctors that nothing was showing up in my repeated blood work, my chiropractor sent me for a lumbar puncture that found Lyme disease. I was admitted and given an IV for 10 days in the hospital. I am healthy now but I have lasting effects of arthritis, asthma and memory issues. I am happy to be alive, frankly.

Published: July 15

My granddaughter came home with what looked like the shape of a human bite mark on her upper right arm, however, she had not been bitten by anyone. The "bite mark" was about two inches long, red at its edges, slightly raised but not tender. She also had redness below both eyes, but she had been swimming and we thought it was from rubbing her eyes due to the chlorine. The next morning, she had numerous (11) red circles on various parts of her body. They were now on her back, hips, legs, both arms and stomach. She did not have any evidence of a bite anywhere within the circles. We went to urgent care and thankfully the doctor knew about Lyme disease, and he immediately put her on Doxycycline. After the first day of treatment her "circles" were barely noticeable.

Published: July 10

I'm not a patient, but I wanted to express my deep concern over the fact that my cousin, who lives in Greenville, South Carolina, has been very ill for three weeks and was misdiagnosed with "shingles" and then today correctly diagnosed with Lyme disease. Given the time that was lost due to the wrong treatment being administered, his condition has become serious and he will now require the IV treatment to save his life. He was told by his doctor that Lyme Disease is so rare in their region that they didn't know what it was or how to treat it. I don't think that's a valid excuse and all medical professionals should be aware of such diseases whether they're common in their area or not. Their lack of proper training has caused my cousin to become very ill and he may not fully recover.

Published: July 09

I had aches and pains, along with flu-like symptoms. This went on for about a month, and then I found a doughnut shaped, red, raised area, which I was familiar with. I went to the doctor who then put me on amoxicillin. I had remembered removing a very small tick a couple of months previous. Since that time, which was 15 years ago, I have had several neurological problems that have gone on undiagnosed, and now I have some type of arthritis that the doctors can't agree on. I have been told that the Lyme disease has nothing to do with either of these, of which I personally do not agree.

Published: July 03

One and a half weeks after being bitten on the neck by a deer tick, I noticed that the area was becoming very swollen and red. I went to the doctor, and she immediately said it was Lyme disease. Though the rash was not in the bull’s eye formation yet, she said that there are no other reasons for that area to be swollen, as allergic reactions to the actual ticks saliva go away within a few days. I did not have any blood tests and immediately started taking an antibiotic twice a day, for 21 days.

Published: June 20

I haven’t been feeling well, and I thought it was due to my Bell’s palsy. Well, two days ago, my doctor told me that my lab results were in and that I had lyme disease. I’ve been having headaches, nausea, joint pain, extreme fatigue, terrible mood swings, and at times memory loss. I never had the typical rash or fever and couldn’t understand when and for how long I’ve had it. My doctor said that if her suspicions were correct, that the lyme disease might have caused the Bell’s palsy.

Published: June 20

I began to have chills and sweats with severe headache on Wednesday afternoon. This continued into Friday so I went to the Doctor. I explained my symptoms. The Doctor took a blood sample and told me I had a viral infection. She said there was nothing she could prescribe. I suffered for four more days with severe headaches and continued fever. On Tuesday I noticed an itch on my leg. I looked down and noticed a red circle rash. People around me said they thought it was Lyme. I went back to the Doctor and they now tested. They put me on Doxycycline immediately. Two days later the results showed it was Lyme disease.

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with lyme disease in 2000. I developed a hard, red swollen area behind my knee; couldn't see a tick. The emergency room doctor at first thought it was probably an infected spider bite (although I told them I was in an area known for deer ticks) and gave me some antibiotics. Probably one week later, I had intense fever/chills/night sweats for two days, then I developed a classic bulls-eye around the bite. I think the bulls-eye probably developed two weeks after the bite, but my memory is a little hazy. I went back to the doctor, who took pictures of it, diagnosed it as lyme disease and started me on antibiotics. I took antibiotics for two weeks, which seems to have knocked it out.

Published: June 11

I pulled the tick, and three days later, the bull's eye formed, which I had for four months. I was started on doxycycline for three weeks and was still very sick with migraines, fever, head aches, and fatigue. So then I had two more weeks of antibiotics. I then started to have central nervous system damage, with dilated pupils, word confusion, and trouble reading out loud. Two years and two months late, I still have fevers almost weekly, bad headaches, and word confusion when I flare up. This has been worse than I thought it would be, and as an RN, I thought I had a clue...NOT! I am retired and cannot work, and sometimes cannot function well enough to participate in activities I used to be able to do. I am 60 years old, and believe this will affect me for the rest of my life.

Published: June 06

I was bitten about six weeks ago but never got a rash. Two weeks or so after the bite, I had what I thought was the stomach flu for a week, followed by a week of horrible headaches, face pain (like a sinus infection) swollen glands, pretty much every typically reported symptom, and I am still having most of them. I also experienced a lot of nausea, diarrhea, stomach aches, and a very blood shot eye. My doctor did a blood test and when it came back positive, she started me on antibiotics, which I have to take for three weeks and then test again.

Published: June 03

I had seen and removed the tick myself. By the next day there was a red, hard, swollen area (approximately the size of a pancake) around the bite that was hot to the touch. By 5:00pm that evening the rash covered over half of my left thigh. I went to the doctor and she told me that I was having an allergic reaction to the tick bite. She gave me a steroid shot and an antibiotic which I began immediately. I was experiencing extreme itching, fatigue, muscle aches and irritability. The next day the rash began to look like an oval bulls-eye. I went back to the doctor to find out if this new development was normal and was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Originally, the doctor told me it was impossible for me to have Lyme disease because I was reacting too quickly and the tick had not been embedded for at least 12 hours. I was given Doxycycline 100 mg Q 12 hours P.O. for 10 days. I followed up with my PCP and he stated I still had it and began repeating the treatment. I am in the 3rd day of the second treatment now.

Comment from: Lydia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2004. I was given antibiotics, which seemed to help. However, I still suffer from some of the symptoms, such as chronic fatigue, joint pain, and even neurological problems in controlling hand and leg movements. The inability to walk right etc, are temporary and generally happen when I am really tired and have been working hard.

Published: July 30

I spent years going to doctors and being told I was depressed. Finally, I went to a doctor who knew about Lyme disease and its signs and symptoms. Not everybody gets the rash. Lyme can become chronic when it is misdiagnosed for too long.