Patient Comments: Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis - Experience

Question:

Do you know the cause of your hypersensitivity pneumonitis? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mountainman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I get Teflon flu because of hypersensitivity to PFC. I cannot eat anything cooked in Teflon without getting a high fever and fatigue. I can't have leftovers warmed up in Styrofoam and nothing cooked in a bag. Petroleum fumes can set me off as well as dust. I have to use prednisone to alleviate the symptoms.

Comment from: Smitebymold, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had 2 episodes of hypersensitivity pneumonitis in the last year that came on the heels of doing yard work. The first time, I helped to rake the leaves (in winter), for an elderly couple. We raked wet leaves all day, and by that evening I had begun to feel very ill. I was quite ill (coughing all day and night, runny nose, green and bloody phlegm, headaches, fatigue) for 3 weeks after that. The second time, I did yard work all day, including a lot of soil work and moving rotting logs, close inspection of the ground to delicately transfer skinks and salamanders, and rotating compost. The next day I fell ill, and have been sick for 3 weeks with the same symptoms as before. I believe this is mold allergy-induced, because I am generally quite healthy (haven't been to the doctor in a decade - vegetarian, cyclist, yoga, runner), and when I do get a cold, it's usually gone in less than a week.

Comment from: Theresa8031, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

Doves caused my hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

Comment from: Nat, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I work as a lifeguard in an indoor pool 40 hours a week, the coughing fits I get are intense. Whenever I get time off the symptoms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis fade.

Comment from: Ian, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

My condition of hypersensitivity pneumonitis may have been caused by my hobby and work, pigeons, welding and spray painting.

Comment from: marty1022, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have been working in a building that was condemned because of mold, but I was unaware, and I have been feeling bad for the past 5 months, and diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia, and now have a urinary tract infection; no reason for that. And I have coughed, sneezed, and had terrible fatigue and joint aches.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I feel that I had an episode of hypersensitivity pneumonitis. I recently purchased a set of pillowcase protective covers and a full zippered case cover for a queen size mattress. The material that the protective covers were made of was a form of a polyvinylchloride based material. The material was of a cloth like product with sewn like zippers. I purchased the covers at a reliable retailer. At first use, straight from the shipping material, the covers had a strong acidic smell. After a few days use, the smell expanded to the whole bedroom. It ended up, I could not sleep on my back in my bed or any other position. The smell led to acute coughing, shortness of breath, difficult breathing, vomiting, a burnt like taste of the air breathed, and perhaps heart distress. With removal of the covers from the bed and room area, my normal sleep mode returned without physical distress.

Comment from: roxie52, Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Aspergillus niger and aspergillus flavus were the cause of my hypersensitivity pneumonitis. I have lupus and already had interstitial lung disease.

QUESTION

Allergies can best be described as: See Answer

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter

By clicking "Submit," I agree to the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. I also agree to receive emails from MedicineNet and I understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet subscriptions at any time.