Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms


The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: shortstuff, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I am 39 years old, I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and it’s been staying very high. I also have atrial fibrillation and since about 8 last night I started having severe chest pain that is in the middle of my chest and goes through between my shoulder blades. It is hard to breathe at times, worried if this can this be a heart attack.

Comment from: RuthsMom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Numbness in hand, heaviness on chest, and sharp, higher area of chest pains were my symptoms of heart attack.

Comment from: dsb47, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 68 years old and was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) 3 years ago. I have a congenital MVP (mitral valve prolapse). I had vague symptoms 3 days leading up to the heart attack, not ‘feeling right.' A hard pain in my left upper back got my attention, but it subsided. Last week, I was fast asleep and then awakened by a crushing, burning pain in my chest. No other symptoms. My oxygen monitor wouldn't read my pulse. Because we were in a rural area, my husband rushed me to the closest hospital and reached there approximately 30 to 45 minutes after the onset of symptoms. Chest pain was still as painful as at onset. Cardiac enzymes were elevated and I had an abnormal EKG, so I was transferred to a larger hospital 3 hours away. By the time I reached the other hospital, the enzymes were back to almost normal. I was told my heart had already healed itself. Tests show I have a small blockage in an artery in the anterior wall. I am awaiting further instructions.

Comment from: zr800o1le, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

My wife aged 48, healthy, active, and a nonsmoker, just had the 'widow maker' heart attack. There were no usual signs, she started having pains in her left shoulder, front and back. It was diagnosed by our family doctor of 20 years, as bursitis. Stress test showed nothing irregular, chiropractic massage seemed to help it, only it would return in a few days. Here it is 3 months later. Four days ago she woke me at 3 a.m. crying in pain but wouldn't let me take her to emergency room (stubborn). Next day all was well, we had dinner together. As her husband of 27 plus years I didn't even see the difference in color/tone of skin. Next day at work she was in great pain again, a coworker had seen she was pale, ambulance called, nitroglycerin given, and baby aspirins. While in ambulance EKG showed she was having heart attack. When she arrived the doctor grabbed me and said, “This is bad, EKG shows she is having a massive heart attack now. Sir, you have 5 to 7 seconds to tell her you love her and kiss her goodbye.” Five people ran pushing her down the hallway so fast to surgery I couldn’t keep up. Heart surgeon came out a while later with a picture and showed me, main artery 99 percent blocked, left artery 98 percent blocked, and 3rd 68 percent. Four hours later she was sitting up talking, 16 hours later, it's as if my wife has 'new life', more spunk than in the past 5 years. Heart surgeon said that 99 percent of all women who have this degree of heart attack die, and could not believe she was sitting up talking to him only 16 hours later. She is lucky! Ladies, please get a second and third opinion, don't be stubborn as it could cost you your life.

Comment from: FedWorker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have high blood pressure (BP) and a very stressful job. I think I had a heart attack on February 27th while at work. I was not feeling well and stepped into the restroom. I began to sweat profusely, shaking. Too embarrassed to call for help from the stall, I waited for it to subside. Ten minutes later, I made my way back to my desk. Several people concerned with my paleness, sat with me. Suddenly my pants seemed too tight, and my shoes seemed too tight to keep them on. I knew something was seriously wrong, but didn't want to admit it. I asked to go home for the day and drove home. I checked my blood pressure and it was 193/123. I doubled up on my BP medicines and lay down. I got to the doctor 4 days later. BP was 156/108 and the doctor changed my medicines (new doctor). BP at this time going up and heart rate going down. I returned to the doctor 3 days after my 1st appointment. BP was 178/110 and heart rate 44. The doctor changed my medicines again. I had a week of fatigue and weakness. BP is now down but still not in normal range, heart rate back where it should be. EKG and next appointment is on March 17th. I do not know if they can tell me if it was a heart attack. But hindsight being 20/20, I believe it was and I am lucky it was not worse. Lesson to learn, don't be embarrassed, call for help or 911.

Comment from: Marion, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a bad time in June. My heart was thumping for days and no help. They just gave me paracetamol. I am not good now, I have been left with uncontrollable shivering, sweating, freezing cold feet and hands. I feel very ill, I am worried if these are symptoms of a heart attack.

Comment from: Deeana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had no symptoms of heart attack.

Comment from: newby, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 05

Male whose blood pressure is currently 80/40 is fatigued, has cold sweats, pain between shoulder blades, and has had 2 past heart attacks with stents. Most recent heart attack was 2 months ago. He had to take aspirin and nitroglycerin today. I wonder if this is a sign of another heart attack coming on.


In the U.S., 1 in every 4 deaths is caused by heart disease. See Answer
Comment from: 12Semi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Before heart attack I had mild indigestion and then I felt an unusual pain in the bottom of my lungs. Because I had recently been told my blood pressure was high, I went straight to the emergency room. I had elevated troponin, RCA (right coronary artery) 98 percent LAD (left anterior descending artery) 65 percent, so had one stent in each. LAD had restenosis after 4 months and was displayed either post-prandial or following exertion (fast walking). Pain was inside right shoulder, came on suddenly, and diminished rather slowly, 3 minutes.

Comment from: Did You Die, Male (Patient) Published: January 12

My heart attack happened just one week before my 52nd birthday. I'm active and considered myself to be in decent shape. As a matter of fact, I ran 5K the morning of my heart attack. I had no early signs; no elevated blood pressure, no signs of fatigue, etc. At 5:00 pm one Sunday afternoon I began experiencing a pain in the middle of my chest. I've had heartburn before and I usually take Zantac for it when I have a flare up. I had just finished a leftover ham sandwich so I was attributing the heartburn (or so I thought) to that. After taking the Zantac and getting no results, I began to get nauseated, sweating and my skin became cold and clammy. I began to sense I may be in trouble and sought help. I made it to the hospital at 6:00 pm and went into cardiac arrest at 6:08 pm. I was defibrillated 4 times, as I was later informed, to get me back. Doctors administered TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) as there was another heart attack victim undergoing surgery at that time. The TPA was successful in clearing the clot around my heart. Tuesday afternoon I was back at the house, sore, but as if nothing ever happened. The best advice I can give is to listen to your body. If you're experiencing things you're not normally feeling, seek help immediately. I almost waited too long and orphaned my two children.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Before the heart attack, I had high blood pressure and pressure in the heart area for 2 days.

Comment from: donmejm, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had my MI (myocardial infarction) after cutting and dumping wood. I experienced intense pressure in the center of my chest and was extremely short of breath. Also, experienced onset of heavy sweats. I was with a son who had me in emergency room (ER) in 15 minutes where the ER crew immediately diagnosed MI and administered emergency treatment. I was transported to cardiac unit in nearby medical center and had two stents placed. Another stent was placed in a 95% blockage 6 weeks later. I went through cardio rehabilitation for 5 weeks and felt great. Problem now is a consistent fading of energy every 3 to 4 days and the 'downer' lasts for a day to a day and a half, consistently week after week. Weakness may occur during the day on any day and then fade away. I wonder why this seemingly regular weakness is settling in as a way of life now.

Comment from: mezzoola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I am a 48 year old female. In December of 2012 I experienced squeezing in my chest and left arm on two occasions the same day. These symptoms happened after a stressful event, not physical exertion. The first attack happened while I was relaxing with a friend eating lunch. I went to the emergency room (ER), they tested blood enzymes and they were slightly elevated. They told me those numbers could be my “normal” and dismissed my symptoms as gastric and sent me home. A week later I had a similar episode of what I now know to be angina, while going for a walk. I let it pass and didn"t do anything more until April, yes April! I was growing more and more uneasy and believe I was having such mild angina, 3 to 4 times a day but it was so mild as to be almost imperceptible. On April 7th, yes, 4 months later, I went for a purposeful walk to see if I could induce an angina attack, still not knowing what that was! I was able to do so although the symptoms were still milder than what I had experienced after a very stressful time in December. I went to the ER again. All tests were normal except the slightly elevated heart enzymes again. They still didn"t believe anything was wrong with me being female and low risk although my dad had double bypass at 59. I am ex-smoker, blood pressure normal-high but my cholesterol profile was better than normal. I"m thin, fit, eat well and they just didn"t believe it. They did an angiogram only because they had exhausted everything, every other test, because I was still having mild symptoms. They did not expect to find anything. I was not surprised in the least when they found a 95% blockage of my LAD (left anterior descending artery); yes, I was a walking time bomb. I did not have a heart attack, nor damage to my heart so I am very lucky; I have one stent. All of the medical experts looked at me in disbelief. So, a year out I am doing very well but am extremely paranoid and anxious about mild symptoms. I find exercise to be the best tonic. It"s hard to find the balance between listening to your body and paranoia but I"m working on it every day. Don"t ignore mild symptoms.

Comment from: StillShocked, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had a heart attack last week. I am a 55 year young woman. I was awakened early in the morning with an extremely (so I thought) bad, painful case of indigestion. After no relief from antacids, I did consider calling 911, but delayed, afraid that it was, in fact, only gas, and I would be laughed out of the emergency room. I did finally call, when I started sweating profusely, and had to vomit. My point is, call for help, even if you"re not certain, please! I ended up having angioplasty with a 95% blockage.


Heart Attack See a detailed medical illustration of the heart plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Published: July 15

I am a 58-year-old female who had a heart attack three weeks ago. The symptoms had been there for about a month: brief periods of a burning pain in my chest, and pain in my jaw, face, shoulder, back and arm, all on the right side. I awoke in the night with the pain and this time it wouldn't ease up. I took aspirins and started vomiting. I went to the emergency room and it was determined that I was having a heart attack. Three stents were placed in my heart. I've been home for almost three weeks and doing a total lifestyle change. I am not overweight and I have low blood pressure, and the pain was on my right side instead of the left. It's best to get all pain diagnosed instead of waiting like I did. A heart attack can hit women in many different ways.

Comment from: Chimechuks, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I used to have sharp pains on my chest in the early hours of the day whenever I woke up in the morning. I visited my doctor who gave me some proper medication and advice. I followed up with his instructions on how to avoid heart attack. I stopped some eating foods that are unhealthy for my heart and so on. Ever since I have not experienced such pains on my chest.

Comment from: marivelgonzalez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

My right arm hurts a lot. I'm only 44 years old and I have CHF (congestive heart failure) and I am diabetic.

Comment from: clover, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I experience pain in my chest, it gets really tight, then lets up, then gets really tight again, and this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes. I experienced this again last night and now today my left arm hurts, it feels like a burning sensation going down my shoulder and arm. I am worried this could be symptom of heart attack.

Comment from: K.V.Kannabhiran, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

MY husband got heart attack, he had shortness of breath. Doctors said that 3 valves were blocked and they put a stent. Even then he did not recover for one month. Then they did CABG surgery in the month of May. Till know he has not recovered properly and he is having a swelling in his legs because heart pumping is less.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I started having heart palpitations in 2013. I had them in the past but they would go away after a week or so. But it continued to get worse. I kept calling my cardiologist and she said to just go to the emergency room. She would never do any blood work on me, and my primary care had to issue me tests to force her to take tests as to why I was having palpitations. Remember this, if you are having problems and your doctor isn't listening to you, seek another opinion.

Comment from: JTB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

My heart attack symptom is jaw pain, usually have palpitations in throat, but this is just jaw ache.

Comment from: Tia, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I only know that the patient had respiratory problems and some blood circulation issues. Next, I learn that the patient is in ICU with a heart attack and will stay for second 24 hours under anticoagulant treatment. I think that the patient drinks heavily; suspect some drug use but not sure if this is true. He had history of asthma when he was a child.

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m a 43 year old male who recently suffered a heart attack after some physical exertion. I had been a smoker from my teenage years but, maintained an otherwise healthy lifestyle. I had no early indicators of heart problems. My mother and father are well. Cholesterol was slightly elevated a year prior to the event but not significant. My blood pressure actually runs on the low side of normal 88/58 yet upon the emergency PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention) it was found that my right coronary artery was 100% blocked which caused the heart attack. My LAD (left anterior descending) artery had 4 blockages estimated at 90%, 80%, and two at 40-50%. Subsequently, I ended up with 4 stents. I have been well since stenting but am now dealing with some of the side effects of the medications like muscle pain and lethargy. A follow up stress test and blood work is scheduled and I"m anxious to see the results. Given my otherwise healthy lifestyle I believe all of this is a result of smoking!

Comment from: Manatou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

My pain began suddenly but was a burning sensation across my chest and down my right arm - not an indigestion burning, more like the burn from an extreme workout. I didn't know what was going on until I began to feel really bad, really fast. Don't focus on any specific symptoms, be alert for a sudden and extreme change in how you feel. Get checked out by a doctor - my mother died from a heart attack hours after checking in with her doctor because she wasn't aware that it's okay to insist that something isn't right. The only reason I survived a total blockage of my left main artery is because I listened to my husband and paid attention to the severity of my symptoms. I'm a 43 year old female and I almost convinced myself that there was no way I could have a heart attack at my age - I was wrong and it could have been fatal.


Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack See Slideshow
Comment from: jaygal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had shortness of breath, chest pains, heartburn, arm pain and upper back pain.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had no pain at all when I had my heart attack, just pressure above my elbow that was very slowly going up my arm almost like a tourniquet wrapped around my right arm. I took 2 aspirins and walked around and it started moving to my shoulder, again there was no pain, just pressure. I called 911. After 3 enzyme tests it was confirmed I was having a heart attack. No stent could be put in as the artery was too small. I am being treated with medicines. It is amazing that there was no pain, but I was told that women have different symptoms than men.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was 60 when I had heart attack. I got up, my upper back was hurting, went to work. At 9:45 in the morning I felt faint and thought I was going to be sick and the pain got worse. I didn't know I was having a heart attack.

Comment from: Wifey, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My husband is 58 and had chest pain but, like so many, relegated it to heart burn. (He suffers from acid reflux.) He told me on the first evening that he felt as if someone had punched him in the chest. I wanted to take him to the ER, but he would not go. I gave him an aspirin and some antacid. Next afternoon, he took himself to the doctor who told him to get some Mylanta on the way home, but that his blood pressure was high so he wanted to see him next morning at 8:30. He was sent for blood tests (25 miles away -- he drove himself there and back). The doctor called my husband at 11 a.m. and told him to come right to his office. This time, I went with him. I told the doctor I was on my lunch hour and he said, "It's going to be a long lunch hour." My hubby was taken by ambulance to a hospital 45 miles away. He spent three days in the ICU and was sent to another hospital 150 miles away for a dye test. There is slight damage to his heart and minimal damage to his arteries, and one month later, he is recovering well. We have a new lifestyle, but we are so thankful. Don't play around! Go to the ER even if you feel slightly "off."

Comment from: redbug70, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I'm a 56-year-old man who had a heart attack. It was on a hectic Tuesday morning. The first symptom was aching in my left shoulder, which I attributed to sleeping wrong the previous night. Shortly after that came profuse sweating and a clammy, uneasy feeling. Then the pressure in my chest began. I was certain it was indigestion. Eventually, I knew what was happening and, in disbelief, I drove to the local ER. I have received both cheers and jeers for driving myself. I truly believe I saved valuable time by doing so. I never felt I was losing control at that point. The ER staff reacted immediately. In a short time, a stent was placed. I think reacting as quickly as I did, along with the prompt ER treatment, saved me from "the big one." It got my attention, and now I'm trying to make the necessary lifestyle changes.

Comment from: mrogerson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was a 32 year old female who worked in the hospital. I had worked all day and had 1 more hour left of my shift. I went out to smoke as I always did. When I came back in, I was walking down the hall and I suddenly felt like I was getting the flu. All the joints in my upper body ached on both sides. I sat down for a bit. Someone was talking to me and I felt like I was fading away. I had to get up and move. I felt very agitated and couldn't sit still. Then the sweating came. In seconds, I was drenched. I told my coworkers that I didn't feel right and I was going to the ER. I thought it might be my blood sugar. The ER doc immediately pushed the chair I was in to the bed because he said something didn't look right. They did EKG and it was normal. About 10 mins. later I had a pain in the center of my chest. Did another EKG and said I was having a heart attack. They gave me Retavase and had me airlifted to the bigger hospital. I had a heart cath and 2 stents placed. 2 days later, I had another heart attack, another cath, and 2 more stents. Needless to say, I had major life changes. Quit smoking and try to live a healthy life. At 32 who would have thought. But it has been a year and I'm still here.

Comment from: Tracer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am a cancer patient. During a chemotherapy treatment last December, I had an anaphylactic reaction to the chemo. Six days later, as I sat on the living room couch doing the Sunday crossword, I felt a severe pain under my breastbone and suddenly felt extremely ill. I knew immediately what was happening and asked my daughter to call 911. I was quickly transported to the hospital, where I actually went into cardiac arrest in the ER. Luckily for me, I was stabilized and sent on to another hospital with a cardiac catheterization unit where I had a stent placed. Even luckier, because of the immediate treatment, I had no damage done to my heart. The cardiologists believe that the anaphylaxis was the trigger (if not the underlying cause) of the attack.

Published: August 01

I had a heart attack on in September. I remember getting very bad back pain between the shoulder blades and no matter what I did the pain would not go away. I tried lying down, Advil etc. I was writhing in pain. It was a kind of pain I never felt before. Now I have always had a bad back and back pain but never like this. I go to the ER and it turned out that I had a heart attack and I needed bypass surgery (6 blockages). I've been going to my cardiologist on a regular basis and everything is fine so far, but every time I get pains in my back I begin to worry and drive my wife crazy.

Published: July 22

I have been a 50 year lifelong diabetic with a few complications. So in April when I started having indigestion pain between my shoulder blades and a clammy sweating feeling with no relief from anything that I tried, I started to be concerned. I also had a feeling of dread and doom and didn't know why. This occurred late one night and I made an appointment with my PC doctor early the next day, who dismissed it as GERD and sent me home to take Protonix. Luckily I was right next to the hospital and asked my Mom to take me over there because something wasn't right in the way I felt. I still had a normal EKG, but blood enzymes showed that I was experiencing a heart attack. I had a triple by-pass in 1998 but no heart attack, only blockages. After the weird symptoms and a diagnosis by the ER physician, I spent 12 days in CCU and another week on a heart monitored floor and finally a heart cath which couldn't be done immediately because of my taking ASA and Plavix and also being anemic. This was done a week after admission for the heart attack. Now I'm scared at every little symptom and don't know what to believe. My point is, don't IGNORE any symptom that is unusual for you.

Comment from: ankur, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 06

Heart attack symptoms vary from one person to another. The most common signs of a heart attack are chest pain, tightness, heaviness, and pain or a burning feeling in your chest.

Comment from: Kiefer, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

My significant other of 14 years died suddenly of a massive heart attack while we were having sex. When I tried to give CPR it was like pushing on a flat tire, I wonder why his head went so purple/red.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

My father died of a heart attack in 1982. He knew he was having a heart attack and went to his primary care doctor. His doctor told him it was only anxiety and to go home. Well, two hours later my father ended up in the emergency room (ER) and died. I'm not saying he would have survived if the doctor would have listened to him, his heart was bad, but maybe he would not have ended up in the ER dead.

Comment from: ish ghai, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I got moderate chest pain about a month before that lasted for about 2 to 10 hours. I took analgesic in the evening and massaged my chest with analgesic gel 2 to 3 times and I was okay on 2nd day. My blood pressure is normal and now I am okay.

Comment from: acer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I sometimes dream like I am falling down a cliff or having difficulty in breathing. I was recently diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. I am not sure if this is a sign of heart attack.

Comment from: footdr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I began feeling what could be considered indigestion, I took 2 tums but it persisted, I then began feeling generally "achy" in my upper back and upper arms. I thought to myself that I might be having a heart attack. I was prepared as I always kept a lipstick sized bottle of Bayer Aspirin in my purse just in case someone was having a heart attack, including me, I took an aspirin and woke my husband who is a Podiatric Surgeon and said, " I think I might be having a heart attack" as it felt more than just indigestion. He planned to drive me to the ER but as we started to walk down stairs I felt faint, sat down and said, "better call 911." Upon arrival at ER the most telling test done was a blood test that would indicate whether certain "enzymes" were elevated that indicate a heart attack. In the a.m. I had a CT scan where fluid was injected into my body, then my Cardiologist immediately ordered an angioplasty and discovered a closed artery, then another cardiologist was called in to place a stent in the artery to open it up. I was hospitalized for a total of 5 days. I was prescribed Effient, a blood thinner and two other medications. I have hereditary high cholesterol, fatty liver and high lipids. So I am on 5 medications to try to bring my levels within normal range.

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I started out my morning as usual taking my dogs for a walk half a block into my walk I stared feeling a pain in my chest, it felt like brain freeze, I thought it was pollen in the air, then walking around in my house I felt the same pain. So I called around trying to find a doctor that would see me without medical insurance. I found one at Cleveland Clinic. My appointment was in two weeks. By now after researching my symptoms I knew it was my heart so I was taking 345 mg of aspirin after each meal. Now I was waking up with pain. I would pray every night before I went to bed... I have a 12 year old son and a 14 year son and I wanted to be around for them. Finally I made it to my appointment. They did an EKG which was abnormal they sent me to the catheter my main artery and my left ascending were 90% blocked AKA widow maker. So they could not open with stent. The next day I had a double bypass. I thank God for answering my prayers.

Comment from: Sparkie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had pain in my right arm around 4 a.m. and got back to sleep and woke to more pain about 6 a.m. This time, the pain was moving to my underarm, then to my chest. By 9 a.m., I got to the hospital. At 10 a.m., I still didn't think it could be a heart attack, but a blood test proved I had a heart attack. By 6:30 p.m., I had a stent put in and was back in my room by 10:30 p.m. Stents are great.

Comment from: jreagan1626, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am a 54 year old woman. Because I do not have health insurance, I did not seek treatment when i had hard heavy pain in the middle of my checst of and on for days. I treated it with antacids as if it was heartburn. I finally had a massive frontal heart attack, with two stints. i now am very ill, the stints are collapsing and I have signed a do not resusitate order since I do not have the money or health insurance to stay alive. I hope there are not more people in my situation, knowing you are going to die because you can not afford open heart surgery or even get any more testing due to lack of job and funds.

Comment from: rlc, (Patient) Published: November 29

I'm a 45-year-old male and had a heart attack Nov. 6, 2008. I have had two lower back disks ruptured and was confusing the pain between my shoulders as transferred muscle tension. On the morning of the 6th, I went to work and was sitting at my desk when the pain in my chest and between my shoulders became extreme. EMS was called and about 30 minutes later, I was in the ER going straight into surgery to have a blockage ballooned. I now have three stents and am feeling an ache in the chest and sharp twinges in the chest. I will have more tests run next week.

Comment from: tcujo89, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I am a 37-year-old female who recently suffered a heart attack in September. The night before I had what I thought was heartburn, but when I got up in the morning, it had not eased up. Within two hours, I had a severe burning-type cramp in my left chest that radiated down my left shoulder and into my left jaw. Upon seeking emergency medical help, I was told it was a heart attack.

Comment from: montcolady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had tremendous left arm pain and went to the E.R. only to be told it was bursitis. I was given a shot for pain and put into a sling. I had no shortness of breath or chest pain. I am a 57 year old woman and nobody even suggested doing tests or consulting with a Cardiologist. Five days later I had a heart attack and had emergency quadruple bypass surgery!

Comment from: Upinthehillz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I'm a 51 year-old-old male. The morning I had my heart attack, I felt tired, as if I had the flu or a cold. Then the sweats came and with more activity, I felt worse. Then came the stabbing pain in my left arm, along with dizziness, and the feeling of not being able to function. I called 911, and when they got there, they said I was gray in color.

Comment from: VJKelly, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

One of the symptoms of my heart attack was pain between my shoulder blades as if I were sitting on a floor with my legs stretched out and someone pushed my head forward to try and touch my toes. I also had nausea and twinges of pain down my right arm. I felt this overwhelming feeling of doom, as if my body was fighting to stay alive, which it was.

Comment from: Ladybug1734, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 35 years old. I had a heart attack on July 22. I went to the ER the day before with severe pain to the right side of my back, and I was very sick to my stomach. They ran some test and sent me home with some medications. The next morning I was feeding and watering my dogs and I just felt dizzy for a second so I told my best friend I was going to lie down on the coach. By the time I got the water turned off, I felt like someone was beating on the center of my chest. I took about 30 steps and lied down on the coach and started sweating so bad it was like someone soaked me down with a water hose. I just looked at my best friend and told her to call 911. Then I started vomiting really bad. I don't remember much after that. I woke up three days later and the doctor and my family told me what happened to me.

Published: July 09

I am a 57 female that actually had a heart attack in the doctor's office. I had no pain, just nausea. I felt like I had a virus. I was rushed to the emergency room, and I had a blocked artery that was treated with a stent. This was in 2003.

Published: July 02

My heart attack woke me at 6 a.m. I had a bad pain in my right jaw but not like toothache. I got out of bed and had a wash and hoped it would go away, but it didn’t. I had a few pains in my chest but not bad. I decided to go to the hospital nearby and ask them if I had indigestion. I got a lift from my caretaker and then started to sweat badly. I got to the hospital in five minutes and was having a heart attack. This was seven years ago.

Published: June 20

One minute, I felt fine. Then, I laid down on the couch to watch TV and propped my feet up. Immediately, it felt like blood rushing to my head. I sat up but the sense of pressure continued and I suddenly felt like I had a huge "gas bubble" around my left breast--repeated belching with no relief, no matter what I tried- just lots of pressure. There was also a dull ache extending into my armpit. I asked my daughter to take me to the ER. Please note, ALWAYS call an ambulance instead--if I'd had cardiac arrest on the way, I wouldn't be here today. I also took 2 aspirin which the Drs. said was very good advice. The nausea & sweats you expect didn't come for me until I was already being treated in ER. I ended up having stents in 2 clogged arteries while the rest of my heart looked fine. I am now on Nitro patches w/an occasional NG tablet under the tongue as needed for angina pains.

Comment from: taimaryn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My heart attack was silent. In thinking back I had complained of sweating over simple jobs like vacuuming. I got tired more easily. I am now waiting to get ultrasound of my heart to see how much damage is done.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 49 years old and was diagnosed with heart disease at the ripe old age of 33. I had two blockages at one time, one was 95 percent, and the other was about 85 percent blocked. No operations have been done yet, just medications, physician care and, of course, change in lifestyle. What brought this to the forefront for me was jaw pain while mowing the lawn.

Comment from: kevin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I had pain in my left shoulder which grew sharper when I breathed in.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter

By clicking "Submit," I agree to the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. I also agree to receive emails from MedicineNet and I understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet subscriptions at any time.