Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Healing Time


How long was the healing time for your dry socket? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Clare , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the remains of molar (previously capped) extracted 16 days ago. Dry socket resulted. I had excruciating pain and nothing helped. I have been taking painkillers like sweets, with pain in my face and throat. Two lots of antibiotics and I still have pain! I’m so fed up. I am calling the dentist to arrange 5th visit.

Comment from: Reg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I am going on the third week and still have some pain from the dry socket. As far as “recovery” goes, I liken it to watching grass grow -- it’s so minuscule you can barely feel it!

Comment from: worstpainever, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

After the tooth extraction I felt a fair amount of pain, pretty much as soon as the numbness wore off. I thought it would be sore for a day or two and then be fine, but boy, I was wrong! It is now day 6 of ever increasingly unbearable, relentless, excruciating pain from dry socket. I have been taking way too much ibuprofen and paracetamol, plus tramadol and codeine, and now opioids and half a bottle of clove oil (good for pain but gums have swollen from overuse), but still the pain burns through it all; feels like glass shards churning in my gums.

Comment from: Marty, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I had my top front tooth out 8 days ago. Day 2 the pain from dry socket was brutal so I took ibuprofen and paracetamol 2 hours apart. Day 3 I went back to the dentist, he didn't really fill me in on what was to come. Day 4 to 6 I had brutal pain and had too many painkillers, although on day 6 the dentist packed me with oil of cloves; amazing. Then came the blood, and loads of it, through the nights 6 to 8. Hope that it is done.

Comment from: Bouncer girl 82, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am unfortunately one of the very, very unlucky ones, who, with every extraction I have had, as an adult (approximately 8), all bar 1, have resulted in a dry socket. As I write this, I am 9 days post molar extraction, and I’ve just got back from an irrigation and packing. I have pieces of bone trying to escape, and nothing I am taking is helping the pain. Unfortunately this was a tricky tooth to get out as I have extremely large roots, and one hooked. Hope I feel better soon.

Comment from: pantry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had my tooth fall out 5 weeks ago and I still have an open socket. I will say I am in no pain from the dry socket and had no blood during the time the tooth fell out. This tooth was loose for 2 years. I think I waited too long to have it removed.

Comment from: Penn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

My dry socket is still healing. For the pain I am using clove oil on a packing gauze put in the socket, it helps so much no narcotics are needed. You can pick up at health food stores.

Comment from: teefsta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had 3 teeth removed on December 28. I went in about a week later for pain in one tooth. It was confirmed, yes indeed, I did have dry socket. They filled it with gauze. Mind you, when he packed it, this was January 10, they told me it should fall out or dissolve. Well, it hasn't and it is January 20 and I'm starting to have pain again. I wonder if I should pull it out. I can't get back in to the dentist till at least Tuesday the 22nd. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: FloridaMan813, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had my bottom right molar tooth removed over two weeks ago and although there isn't any pain it doesn't seem to be healing what so ever. From my understanding two weeks should be the maximum healing time. This is my first extraction and I am worried about dry socket. Thank you for your time.

Comment from: oscar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had dry socket for the last 2 weeks. First couple of days were ok but since then the pain has been intense, spreading to my right ear. I have been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol spread out over 24 hours, but pain got so bad I took them together over a shorter time. I have been back to the dentist twice to have the socket re-packed but the relief was short-lived. I have been using clove oil for the last few days which does help. I will update this in a few days.


Dental Problems: Tooth Decay, TMJ, Mouth Pain Causes & Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: To be continued.. , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Nine days ago I had top premolar removed, and by day 3 I had dry socket even though I followed the instructions diligently. I went back to the dentist and she packed it with a small piece of dark dressing with a clove oil mix on it, it took half an hour to start working but it did for nearly the whole day! The following day it started to smell foul, I phoned them to be told they would only dress it once! I started doing a mouthwash irrigation with clove oil and lightly packed with a drop of clove oil on a small amount of gauze. I did this everyday while taking a 30/500 co-codamol every 3 hours, naproxen twice a day and 2 tramadol at night. I went back yesterday as it still wasn't better, this time he gave me antibiotics and repacked it with the dressing. However, I find my own dressing far more effective for pain relief.

Comment from: ib, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I got dry socket day 5 after extraction. I had horrible pain through my ear and temple. The surgeon packed it several times and the pain never subsided. He had to go back in and scrape the bone twice and repack both times. Just took the most recent packing out today since the last scraping, an hour later I am in the most pain I have been since the extraction. Officially week 5 and this has been the worst experience.

Comment from: Redski, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

Reading these comments seemed the only thing that weirdly made me feel better when suffering from dry socket 2 weeks ago. After having the clove dressing by the dentist it took about 4 days for the pain to ease up and was easy to manage pain with medication.

Comment from: Jelly baby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I’m on week 4 after 1 lower wisdom extraction by the oral surgeon at my regular dentist. The pain after day two was through the roof. I was crying my head off like a baby, I ended up in Accident and Emergency pleading for pain relief. I was told I had dry socket and the bone was exposed. It’s been packed with iodine dressing. Nothing you buy OTC touches the pain, I needed prescription pain relief and clove oil. I’m only just starting to sleep through the night and I’m on week four.

Comment from: R.M, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

After day 3 of pain from dry socket I had to make time and visit the dentist again. It didn't hurt at all as they cleaned the area and added the clove dressing. Pain was still there for a bit but then got a lot better. That was Friday. It's Sunday morning and I'm in pain again. But Saturday was pretty pain free. Would definitely recommend a revisit to the dentist as it did help me a lot.

Comment from: Jess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

It has been 7 days since the first time the dry socket was packed by my dentist. I have had it changed 3 times in this time and still getting the same amount of pain. I am also on 2 lots of antibiotics.

Comment from: Jam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My lower wisdom tooth was removed 9 days ago. I had intense throbbing on day 3. I told the dentist and he said I should wait until I saw him 5 days post extraction. He removed my stitches, cleaned the area, advised I did not have a dry socket or infection, despite me saying the pain was excruciating. I went to another dentist on day 8, he confirmed dry socket, filled the area with a medicated paste. That provided instant relief for 12 hours. Back on medicines, and unbearable level of pain again. Hoping it heals soon!

Comment from: Still dry still high, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

It's nice to read so many people have had the same problem and are able to share their experiences as dry socket is not fun at all! I'm currently on day 7 and had to go back to my dentist after a week. I work hard at what I do and don’t take any time off even though on heavy medicines (30/500 mg Co-codamol and 400 mg ibuprofen). I can't stress enough, take time off work to rest up even though you feel able! I foolishly went back to work the next day and regretted it by day 3. I've since been back and had my dry socket cleaned and filled with a medical gauze but man, what a week, it's been tough and if I could turn back the hands of time I'd have the holiday because the pain is next level.

Comment from: Mzbootz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

It is day 3 with medicated packing for dry socket, and I have no pain or swelling. Dentist says I can remove the packing.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a 63 year old woman that had a molar extracted 1 week ago. Two days later the pain was unbearable in the area where extraction took place, and the teeth surrounding that area. I had ear canal pain as well as my jaw feeling swollen. I went back to the dentist and was told I have a dry socket. I was told to rinse out the area with salt and water, using syringe that was provided. Also, I took Vicodin, thank goodness for them, and Tylenol 1000 mg. I will certainly think twice before getting tooth pulled again. I suffer from facial pain; however this tops any pain I have ever experienced.


Dry Socket See pictures of dental procedures and oral health conditions See Images
Comment from: Helpless , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

It is 17 days since I had my tooth extraction and I have had the dry socket packed twice with no relief from the pain. I am only sleeping for an hour and a half with an ice pack on my jaw before I need more medication. I have taken 3 times the recommended dose of a combination of dihydrocodeine, ibuprofen and Solpadol every day but nothing helps.

Comment from: Gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

One tough week, I had a bottom molar extracted. I went to the dentist already in pain, the tooth was overdue needing removal before I went for treatment, as I like many people shy from the dentist for obvious reasons. My tooth pain got better for a day, then I developed what I figured must be dry socket because the pain started worse than my original pain. I got back to the dentist on the third day after extraction. I received numbing shots and apparently the site was covered with bacteria which the dentist cleaned and repacked the extraction site. I was sent home being told the pain would subside. It did not. In tears I phoned the dentist and she ordered antibiotics and pain medicines for which unfortunately I did not make it to the pharmacy before it closing. Another night in pain and I started my medicines the following morning. This was a Friday so I made my way 45 minutes each way back to the dentist. More shots and then she x-rayed a wisdom tooth on the same side that a filling had fallen out of, that week. On examination it was decayed so one hour and 45 minutes in the chair. I had a root canal and new filling then a repack of my dry socket. Here I am Monday and finally feeling like myself pretty much. A hard week I must say but thankful to my dentist and her assistant. I called them today to say so.

Comment from: Rowenasheir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had my left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday and by Saturday was in extreme pain (dry socket), not only in my mouth but along my jaw and into my left ear. I went on Moxymax 500 (antibiotic) and 400 mg ibuprofen with 500 mg paracetamol but still it was very painful. I read about using oil of cloves and tried it today. Since using it I have been pain free for 10 hours with only one drop! I wonder how often I should I use it. It seems very strong and I have read about side effects.

Comment from: R95, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

After having all four impacted wisdom teeth removed, I developed two dry sockets where the lower teeth were extracted. The pain began about two days after surgery, and became increasingly worse. I went back to the oral surgeon, who irrigated the wounds with saline, and then put a clove-infused dressing on each wound. The dressing needs to be changed once or twice in order to manage pain. I found that this dressing works better than any drug. I still feel a bit of pain after a week, but it's getting better. I'm just focusing on keeping the sockets clean so they don't get infected.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a week into a dry socket. I have never had such pain. Finally today I took it upon myself to rub Orajel on my gums. The relief is much appreciated. I did not get permission from my dentist. I just did it! The dentist had very little help for me.

Comment from: ljm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had dry socket a few years ago after a tooth extraction. I believe the clot was pulled out when I removed the gauze the dentist put in my mouth because I recall seeing a very small yellow/brown cone-shaped piece of something on the gauze. Within moments the pain at the extraction site began and increased rapidly. I spent the next 6 1/2 days in excruciating, indescribable pain. I took every pain pill I could get my hands on with only minimal results. That experience has left me with a strong fear of having any future extractions.

Comment from: gamama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had three wisdom teeth removed on January 13 this year (2015). When I went back a week later for my check up, I still had terrible pain. I did everything right and still developed dry socket. I have gone back every other day to have one particular socket repacked with medicated gauze. The upper and lower on one side seem to be a little better, but I still have throbbing pain on the other side, down my jaw and neck. The oral surgeon said the one side shows no sign of healing at all so far. I have given birth ten times and had shingles two years ago. The pain with this has been far worse than either of those. I'm a little worried about what is going to happen with this and how long I'm going to hurt.

Comment from: Bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had two premolars extracted 6 days ago. The teeth were brittle from prior root canals, so they broke each time the dentist tried to pull them. Ended up drilling and suctioning pieces of teeth through the entire process, on both of them. Lots of bleeding, so lots of gauze, pressure, etc., to stop it. He sewed up the gingival tissue and placed a partial over the area. Sensation and pain came back around 6 hours later and hasn"t stopped now for the entire 6 days. Gum tissue is tender but healing with no extreme pain. The depth of the tooth socket is screaming in pain, so I seriously think I have a dry socket from the suctioning action of removing the pieces of tooth. One more day, since today is Sunday, and I am going back to the dentist to see if I can get some relief! Advil works great 30 minutes after taking it and for about three to four hours, then the socket is screaming again. I have had to have many teeth extracted over my lifetime, they never hurt like this one!


What causes tooth decay? See Answer
Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a molar extracted and it didn"t go well. My dentist called for assistance after 1 hour and it took a further 2 hours to remove due to tooth breaking, root breaking, hooked root, etc. After 2 days the pain increased and I developed a foul taste in my mouth. I returned to the dentist to receive an official diagnosis of dry socket. The stitches were removed, the area was cleaned out, antiseptic gel applied, and then new stitches. That afternoon I slept for 2 hours - I haven"t slept during the day since I was pregnant - and felt totally drained; and sore! Hoping now it doesn"t happen again as the healing continues.

Comment from: Billy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a tooth extraction on 5th February 2014 and two days later I had to go back to the dentist because of the pain that followed. I was told that I had dry socket and that I was unlucky to get it as it was pretty rare. I was told to take painkillers and to rinse regularly, this helped a little but I still have a lot of pain in the area of the extraction. It radiates to my jaw bone, my left ear and my lower jaw; this pain is actually worse than the pain that I had when I had the troublesome tooth still in place! It is now the first day of April 2014, and as I am typing this I am still in pain, (2 months) I am just hoping that it heals soon.

Comment from: Julie briggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had my left molar removed after a struggle by the dentist and literally as soon as the numbing wore off I knew something wasn’t right. The next day the pain was so bad, the left side of my face was swollen, and all under my tongue was swollen. I called the dentist who saw me straight away and told me it was dry socket he gave me a 5 day course of antibiotics. He told me to take ibuprofen 400 mg and Co-codamol. He also cleaned it out and packed it with a vile filler that tasted like pure clove and although the tablets do give some relief the pain never really goes away. I am on day 4 now and nothing has changed, but I’m hopeful of some healing in another few days’ time. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Smiles Forever!!! My, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I got 4 teeth extracted 5 days ago and I thought I had got dry socket! It doesn’t help that the day I got my extractions my doctor left on vacation! He left me with no contact in case of emergency! Sure took the money in a hurry! If I had known I would have got a different dentist. To get to the point, I'm dying here! Vicodin does not help and he didn’t even give that to me, I had some! So I am heading to the emergency room; will never see this dentist again!

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had a tooth extracted and developed dry socket. The pain from the dry socket itself was actually tolerable to me as long as I stayed on Advil. I can’t do that forever though. I went to the oral surgeon today and she confirmed that it was dry socket. Here’s the problem. The procedure to pack it with the medicated gauze or whatever they do was unbelievably painful. It only took 3 to 5 minutes but it was an intolerable 3 to 5 minutes. I have had two children, a couple of surgeries, and a root canal and have never experienced pain like that. They knew I was in pain as I was squirming uncontrollably and they just kept telling me to hold still. My question is if this is what others experienced. Perhaps I should have been given some Novocain first. I have to go back in a couple of days to see if it needs to be packed again. I cannot go through this again. I would be interested to hear what others have to say about the procedure itself.

Comment from: Raleigh, NC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

Last Friday, I had oral surgery to remove 2 wisdom teeth, one upper and lower. I now have a dry socket in the lower right site. My gosh, I am still in pain. The oral surgeon’s office said that I didn't have dry socket at first but then the surgeon looked at it and realized I did. They gave me a dressing called socket. It helps a bit but get numbing agent to go with it. It does help a lot. I am also taking ibuprofen. I was taking hydrocodone but it made me sick so I had to discontinue use of that. I am hopeful this pain will subside soon. I am ready to scream if this pain doesn't go away! Now I dare the dentist to say, you'll need that tooth extracted. I will say no thanks! It is awful.

Comment from: Jesse, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I had a root canal done on the first right side molar, the dentist did not cap it. Three years later the filling fell out and the tooth was cracking, and I could either have it pulled or have it grafted for USD 2,000 plus (could not get refilled as there wasn't enough enamel left for it to grab onto). They had to carve my gums open, huge markings on my cheek, and no numbing rub before they put the needle in which was the roughest needle I've ever had. The removal had to use the suction due to carving of the gums. As I followed all instructions post-surgery to the letter, the suction is probably what caused the dry socket. They prescribed me Tylenol 3 and 600 mg ibuprofen for pain and antibiotics in case of infection. I waited 6 days before calling them to get a refill as I only had 2 of each pill left, and they scheduled a follow-up for today morning. I found out it was dry socket. The pain of them clearing the socket was the worst pain of my life; or so I thought, until he put this small strip of something that tastes awful, into my mouth. I felt like dying, I was sweating in pain (room was about 10 degrees Celsius) and borderline passing out. I ripped the arm of the chair a little as I gripped on it. It has been 2 hours since the strip was put into place, the Tylenol 3 and ibuprofen aren't doing much for the pain at all.

Comment from: Gabe1972, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

Due to inheriting bad teeth on my mother's side, I've ended up having many teeth pulled throughout the years, and had never experienced dry socket until this weekend. It is awful. The only thing I've found that helps the pain is to hold cold water in my mouth, making sure to tip my head to the side to keep the affected are cold. This helps for about a minute, then I have to do it again. Pain medication barely touches it. I'm lucky enough to have a full 10 day regimen of Augmentin (a much prescribed antibiotic for dental infections) on hand, and I've started taking it on a doctor's suggestions (not a dentist), just in case an infection is involved. I hope that the dentist can squeeze me in somewhere tomorrow or the next day. This is awful!

Comment from: lavinak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have hypercementosis and had an extraction of number 4 tooth 6 weeks ago. I'm experiencing a lot of pain with dry socket and the only thing that helps is my finger in place of the missing tooth. I've had two course of antibiotics. The area has been checked twice and they thought I might need a root canal in tooth number 5. Specialist checked, with no reaction to hot, cold and pressure so she prescribed oral rinse. I looked and the area is white but doctor said that it's healing. Another doctor said just by looking at the x-ray that tooth number 5 needed treatment.

Comment from: Jd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

This is day 7 post extraction. I am in agony with dry socket and dentist won't pack it. It is worse than trigeminal neuralgia (TN). Not sure I can take much more of this pain. Even codeine doesn't work. I took Tegretol, which I had for TN takes the edge off it. I insisted on packing it today but it came out later on this evening and the pain is back. The dentist said there is nothing more he can do.

Comment from: steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I know what you all feel. My number 17 tooth was extracted (lower left wisdom), and I am going on day 10 of dry socket. Night 5 was the worst. I'm on my 4th packing of socket and go tomorrow for 5th (to get through the weekend). Crazy, I tell you!

Comment from: lynparra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

As a registered nurse (RN), I can tell you that if you"re still in pain this far down the line, you probably have infection in the jawbone as a result of dry socket. The blood clot that forms in the open wound after the tooth is extracted somehow got dislodged, thereby leaving the exposed bone/wound open to bacteria. Go back to the dentist as soon as possible. I had a tooth pulled 2 days ago, a lower, back molar. I started feeling pain in my jaw (nerve is exposed too) and looked in my mouth with an SM flashlight. I could see the bone... dry socket. I’m going back to the dentist today.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had developed dry socket after tooth extraction which was very painful. The dentist gave me medicated dressing for two alternate days. The healing takes more than a week. I took extra strength Advil for almost a full week. It’s a horrible experience.

Comment from: vt tooth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had my lower left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday, and today is Tuesday, day 4. So far, I do not believe I have disturbed the clot, but I am not sure because when I look back there, there looks to be a hole in my gum. I have been diligent with not disturbing the extraction site, eating soft food, no smoking, no alcohol, no sucking or spitting, taking my antibiotics, and gently rinsing with salt water 3 to 5 times a day. I wonder when I can stop worrying about developing dry socket.

Comment from: Kara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had two wisdom teeth extracted (one pulled, one cut) on Monday the 19th (2015). First two to three days were ok. Yesterday and today I have had constant, pulsating pain that covers nearly the entire left side lower jaw. When I looked in the socket yesterday I could see a bit of white (I assume it is bone). The initial irrigation with half Listerine, half water was soothing but the pain is still constant. Due to being at work I cannot go to dentist today so hopefully I survive until Monday! I have a high pain tolerance for my mouth so the pain isn’t as much the problem as my fear of getting an infection is.