Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis


How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: LJS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I went to advanced vein laser center to find out what they could do cosmetically to reduce the ugly varicose veins I have. The 1st step was to complete an ultrasound on each leg. Once this procedure was completed I was told I had 8 to 9 chronic blood clots in each leg. I had none of the normal symptoms of deep vein thrombosis which surprised everyone but probably because I bicycle, walk, and use the elliptical a lot. I am 64 and have been on Xarelto for the last 11 months.

Comment from: TwiceBittenOnceShy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

In 1990, I was bitten on my arm by a brown recluse spider. My grandmother was dying and I didn't pay attention to the bite for about a week or so. When I noticed it, it was a quarter sized black sore with purple skin out from the center and that skin had cracks in it. Before it got that bad, I tried to pull the scab off, and it wouldn't come off, even with tweezers. When I showed my Mom, she freaked out and took me to a clinic. The doctor immediately knew it was a recluse bite. He gave me a local and cut about two inches of dead tissue. Fast forward to last week, guess what! I have been bitten by a stupid brown recluse again! This time it's on my left arm. I had to wait for my paycheck (one of the many perks of being poor). I went to the emergency room (ER) last night. The wound is smaller than a dime, but it has the slightly sunken necrotic center. The doctor wasn't really surprised (I live in Texas and they aren't uncommon here). I got my prescriptions today. The topical cream was 177 dollars! (Thank you USD 5000 deductible insurance.) I'm glad I was paying attention this time and I will squish any spider I even see again (unless it's a daddy longlegs). The strange thing is, years ago, my Mom was bitten by a recluse. The bite was smaller and she was able to pull the scab off and put hydrogen peroxide on it and within a week, it was just a small scar, never needed to go to the doctor. My dad had the same experience. I guess it affects everyone differently and I'm just lucky this way. The ER visit was USD 350, but I know how dangerous these bites are.

Comment from: CloseCall, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was bitten on my heel by a brown recluse spider. Immediately the blister appeared next to the fang marks (one darker than the other), slight swelling, and a strange sensation began. I applied an anti-itch topical cream, iced and elevated my foot for 40 minutes and the swelling and strange sensation subsided. I did not experience any skin breakdown or necrosis. Two days after the bite the blister is gone. Feeling really fortunate.

Comment from: BettyCrockster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My background is that I'm an ordinary worker (60 plus hours a week). I woke up one morning in so much overall body pain that I couldn't move, and very cold. I finally made it to the couch, I was swaying back and forth because I was so cold. Then my body temperature went to 'freezing' mode and I started convulsing. I remember grabbing my heart, the pain was unbearable. I stayed like that for 5 days until I was able to drive to work. I thought I had bronchitis or something. I then drove to the clinic and was diagnosed with a heart attack and he directed me to go straight to the hospital. Ambulance service was refused by me. They did blood tests and a CAT scan of my body. They had diagnosed me with pulmonary embolism and pneumonia. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days. My INR was never right but they let me go home due to lack of insurance. Due to lack of insurance I had to stop all treatment after 3 weeks. I am now wondering if the deep vein thrombosis is still there. I know shortness of breath is a concern and I seem to have that.

Comment from: BO didlee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had no symptoms of deep vein thrombosis and was only diagnosed by a sonogram for something else. I had portal vein thrombosis.

Comment from: BettyCrockster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with PE (pulmonary embolism) and hospitalized 6 months ago. I could only afford my Coumadin for 3 weeks. I don’t know if the clot is still in my lung. I can't afford doctor visits to ask them.

Comment from: Trooparun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had painless swelling on my ankles and feet. I thought it would be normal due to my running sessions. However, it was pointed out by my wife that it does not seem normal and requires attention. The doctor prescribed a number of tests including kidney and heart functioning tests. All of the tests were normal and it was then that she linked it to smoking and coagulation if the blood.

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

When I was 39 I sprained my ankle and dislocated a toe. I was told to do bed rest and elevate the ankle. One week after the sprain I started experiencing a lot of pain. I couldn’t put pressure on my foot, anything that touches my leg I had a lot of pain and there was a lot of swelling. I went to the er again and told them about the symptoms, I was having and I was told what can you expect you dislocated your toe and sprained your ankle. Again I went back two days later as I couldn’t take the pain anymore and there was a red line in front of my leg. Again I was told in the er that I was not doing bed rest etc. I refuse to leave and I told them they had to figure out what was wrong. They looked at me as if I was crazy. Another doctor was called a doppler was ordered they found 2 clots behind my calf. I was in hosp for over one week and 11 years later I still take meds. My leg was swollen for over 6 months. So if you feel that something is not correct. Don’t stop until you get an answer.


A Visual Guide to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) See Slideshow
Comment from: NJ, 65-74 Female Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with DVT quite accidentally. I had vein work done in late summer 2011 and returned for my last follow-up appointment on March 5, 2012. The technician doing an ultra-sound on the leg where I had the vein work done "discovered" that I had DVT. Two weeks prior to that visit, I traveled by car from FL to my home in MD--7 1/2 hours in a small car with a couple of stops for gasoline and to have breakfast and lunch. I spent 7 hours in the emergency room on March 5 where it was determined that no clots had broken loose and put on lovonox and coumadin. I have also had heavy dose chemotherapy for BC metastasis.

Comment from: Gamblin Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

All of my vital signs were 100% normal. Was told that the clot developed on both sides of my vena cava filter and was six inches from entering the artery to my heart. I was also told I was alive because the clot travelled down my leg instead of up my leg. In other words the clot started at the filter and travelled down. Thanking GOD for wonderful miracles. I am on 5mg Coumadin and I take 10mg Coumadin two days a week. I also take one aspirin with the Coumadin and the blood work still looks like I am not taking any of the medication.

Comment from: Englishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and prescribed an unloaded brace to ameliorate pain in the knee. I wore this brace every other day or so. One day I developed this huge pain in my calf that was wearing the brace. I could not sleep for two nights and the calf swelled up. I have now been diagnosed with DVT. I have since discovered that there are known risks for blood clots while wearing a brace which I was not made aware of. I certainly would not have had it on so tight, would have removed the brace whenever I was sitting down, and perhaps would not have worn one at all. BEWARE people!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Had ankle surgery, everything went well. Cast was little to tight on my calf. After about 10 days started having pain in the calf, continued to get worse. Ended up going to emergency room. They were skeptical but ended up cutting the cast and doing an ultrasound, lo and behold had one in my calf. Ended up spending the night and the next day in the hospital while they pumped me through of blood thinners. Then a week of bed rest at home with 2 injections a day in the stomach plus oral Coumadin. All gone now but what an ordeal.

Comment from: J, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I am a 55 year old male. I have been diagonosed with deep vein thrombosis twice. The first time I was in a long car ride from NY to NC. I had pain and swelling in my leg. I went to the doctor, got a sonagram and was given IV heparin. Another time a year later I had a little chest pain, not much but they discovered a blood clot near the lung. Again IV Heparin, then Lovenox shots for 2 weeks at home and Warfarin was prescribed. This time I have been tasking Warfarin for 4 years and I noticed my leg was swollen. This time they are considering a filter.

Comment from: agitatum, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a nasty ankle accident 5 years ago and my feet have never been the same since. I get a lot of pain in both feet and legs. My feet and legs are both very discolored, a brown-red, sometimes almost black, and it can be painful when walking. I have just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage III what ever that means? The doctors were questioning DVT.

Comment from: chyl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed with DVT 3 days ago. I worked as a staff nurse-midwife in our hospital my unit was the busiest area in all department. I was always experiencing leg cramps specially when I am so tired. I got swelling on my calf for 2 weeks and pain also. I was just thinking it was just a simple lack of electrolytes so i took my serum electrolytes all are normal. So i went to ER they gave me pain reliever and refer me to orthopedic department. When i was in ortho the doctor examined me i put the creep bandage to ease the pain, the doctor removed it and advised me to go to vascular specialist. That day i didn't go immediately cause I came from night duty then my allergy attack also so i have 1 shot of hydrocortisone in ER i was so drowsy that day. So i came back next day to vascular, immediately suspect DVT, doppler was done and it was found out it my popliteal artery right leg. So my doctor advised for admission. I was admitted for 4 days with a shot of clexane 0.60 twice daily and on loading dose of warfarin 10 mg then 5 mg next day then daily my INR test. Upon admission my INR was 1.06 only my blood was so viscous. Thank you God it was found out so early.Now i am starting my treatment on warfarin 3mg daily with diet control and restriction to the food that can affect the warfarin. I was thinking that I am so healthy cause only muscle pain..but don't ignore any pain that we can feel in our body because it means something wrong inside our system...thank you so much..

Comment from: queenie2626, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

So I woke up on a Friday morning and noticed that my right calf was cramping up. I just assumed I slept funny and it would go away, but it didn't. I tried adding more potassium to my diet, using Icy Hot, and massaging it with no improvements. Five days later I contacted my doctor who immediately told me to go to the ER. The D-dimer test came up positive and the ultrasound indicated a clot in the calf where the pain was originating from. I was one lucky girl as I didn't suspect a deep vein thrombosis because I had no other symptoms like redness, swelling, and warm to the touch. I just had cramping and soreness. I also have no family history, smoking history, nor took birth control.I spent 7 days in the hospital with Lovenox shots twice a day and Warfarin, 15 mg to get me therapeutic and I was able to be released. Now I begin the recovery period including modifying how much vitamin K I eat, being more careful and paying attention to my body signals. Never again will I wait that long to contact my doctor.


Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) occurs in the _______________. See Answer
Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

It started as a pain in my calf muscle area. The pain was similar to that of a strained or pulled calf muscle. I had it before and wasn't concerned. Then I noticed that the heel pad of my foot was numb. That concerned me, and tests showed that there was deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Flame, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was 24 when they found a blood clot by accident. I never had any symptoms of swollen, sore or red legs. I had a very bad pain in my right side just behind my ribs and was vomiting for about 3 weeks. Everything was tested for and nothing could be found. When going to see the physician who did a scan of my intestines, and found the clot by accident. No one can tell me what causes these blood clots. I wish I had more answers!

Comment from: MAROSES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had this pain under my foot and on my calf. I had chest pains as well after travelling. I went to my doctor who refused to do blood tests and advised me that I had pulled a muscle. The pain was unbearable and I ended up going to the ER. All these tests were done and it was found that I have DVT. I was started on warfarin injections and after I week, my tests revealed that I was negative for clots. If I didn’t go to the hospital, I might be dead by now.

Comment from: Nelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Three weeks after I had my son, I began having pain in my back, I thought it was a pinched nerve. After about three days I could barely walk, I was short of breath and felt like I was going to pass out if I walked to far, so I went to the emergency room. They ignored the dizziness and the ER doctor prescribed muscle relaxers for the pain. Before letting me go he had them do a ultra sound to check for clots, the only reason being I had just had a baby. I wasnt experiecing any normal signs of clots. They found that both my legs and my abdomen region was full of clots. So much so that the weight of the clots was causing stress to kidneys, and my right kidney was shutting down. The correct name for the what was happening to me is called extensive bilateral reoccuring deep vein thrombosis. They diagnosed them through ultrasound and xray.

Comment from: superc00l, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I got injured which required me to go seek a doctor’s help. After getting and reading the MRIs, I was still experiencing extreme pain in my lower left calf. I was referred to get an ultrasound which confirmed DVT. I was sent straight to the hospital and immediately admitted.

Comment from: active-dvt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am now 30 years old but was originally diagnosed for DVT 3 years ago at 27. It took 15 months before I could be correctly diagnosed. Partly this is my own accord as well as that of the original doctor. I was a very active athlete and began to have severe pain/swelling in my right calf. I thought maybe I had unknowingly injured myself during an event. The pain went away after about a week but the swelling never did. Being a bit stubborn I left it until it again became unbearable pain and it began to affect my work. After an ultra sound I was diagnosed with DVT in my upper right thigh/pelvis area. Even a guy like me in such good shape and at such a young age and with no prior family history of DVT it still affected me. Please take symptoms seriously no matter what the age/condition you are.

Comment from: Older Male, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I injured my ankle working in the yard by bumping into a large rock. It got a bruised look; I put ice on it for a couple days, then about a week later it got really swollen (suddenly, it seemed). I went to the doctor about 2 weeks later since the swelling would not go away. She thought it was DVT so I had ultrasound to confirm her diagnosis. I took Lovenox injections for 5 days, and then started Coumadin therapy for 6 months.

Comment from: usaray, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had severe pain in back of knee. Went to the doctor and from there an ambulance was called. At the emergency room an examiner noticed my leg was cold and no pulse could be heard with a sonic tool. A lady examiner came in and felt my leg, listened, immediately set me up for exploratory surgery. Found a clot in my groin at the top of the two arteries that feed the leg. This one was covering hole going to the leg. Pieces broke off that and formed a 10cm clot down in my leg below the knee which is where the pain came from. They have no clue as to why I got this which is quite disconcerting not knowing.

Comment from: MargieP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had a lateral latch done on my knee which was fine. I was semi-immobile for 1 week, using crutches. My left leg started swelling but I thought it was because I was not mobile enough. By the 3rd day, it was so red, swollen and very painful. I went to the Dr. and was immediately sent to the ER where they found a blood clot in my left leg, 2 clots in my right lung and 1 clot in my left lung. I was given "clot busters" in my stomach for 4 days before they put me on warfarin. I am now on blood thinners and am working with my doctor to regulate my numbers (2-3) but it is difficult. I have a vena cava filter implanted to hopefully catch any more clot.

Comment from: chartroomgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My DVT is unusual it is my upper extremity it's in my left forearm it was diagnosed with a ultra sound after two D-dimer test came back negative. Thank goodness for the persistence of the urgent care doctors my sibling died from a pulmonary embolism at the same age I am now.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My DVT was diagnosed through an ultrasound. The only symptom I had was severe pain in leg and I couldn’t put my weight on it. I was hospitalize and was given lovenox shots and a warfarin pill.

Comment from: mbrewer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was hospitalized in Jan 2011 for a Pulmonary Emboli and nearly died. I was unaware of what was happening until the lab work came back and said I had a D-Dimer of 1964; > 200. I also had a CT of body and numerous clots were found with several in the lungs as well. The doctor told me in the ER that I had the DVT in my left leg for at least a month. I actually had no symptoms other than swelling in the leg, yet I do have large legs anyway. I walked a lot and don't drive a car. Prior to this, I had SOB and severe fatigue. I had told my DR about it, but nothing was done until the clot in my leg broke and went to my lungs. I now have to be on Coumadin for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Pabi, 25-34 Female Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis when I was 6 months pregnant and I was on clexane until the day before I went for my caeserian section. A doppler scan was done before I was discharged from the hospital. It was concluded that what I had was DVT in pregnancy cause I was okay two months later until now. Though, I'm scared to get pregnant again...

Comment from: les, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 50 years old. I woke up one morning with right ankle pain and swelling. I thought I must have twisted my ankle at the gym. Pain increased and I decided to see my PMD. There was a possibility that this was gout due to Hydrochlorothiazide use. Pain and swelling increased. Several weeks later a Dopler of both my legs was negative for clots. Subsequently, had an MRA, MRV, Stress test Echo. I was evaluated by several physicians. Then one day woke up with shortness of breath, coughing with bloody mucus. Went to ER and was told that I probably had pneumonia with a panic episode. One week later went to another ER with same symptoms. A CT with contrast showed I had extensive Bilateral PE and multiple clots in both legs. I was immediately started on Heparin and spend 2 days in ICU. Sent home 5 days later on Arixtra and Coumadin until my level was therapeutic. Then just coumadin. This was short lived. 3 weeks later my leg pain returned and dopler revealed new clots. I was considered failed Coumadin and put on Arixtra shots daily. 1 month later develop shortness of breath again, and had 2 right lung PE and 1 on the left with more DVT. A Greenfield filter was placed. Now I am on Levonox twice daily. Still with no definite diagnosis for the DVT. I continue to be hopeful. But one advice when you feel something that is not normal, continue to ask and tell your physician. You are the expert on your body.

Comment from: Mams, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed chronic dvt as I used IV drugs in my leg veins. I have kicked the habit for almost 10 years. Now I’m able to walk but my thigh cramps when I walk stairs.

Comment from: Worried mum, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My 18 year old daughter has recently had a blood transfusion because of anemia. Then the day after she had bad pain in her groin. She was told that it was a muscle strain. Two weeks later after being in awful pain we went to another hospital and were told that the Deep Vein Thrombosis was extensive. She was on Heparin for 3 months but still has pain/some swelling in her leg six months later.

Comment from: khan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I was experiencing pain in my lower left leg for 10 days. I went to my GP who refered me straight to hospital for a scan which discovered a blood clot in my upper left leg.