Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience


Please describe your experience with a brain aneurysm. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sheri , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

February 18, 2020. It was a regular day at work. At approximately 3:45 PM I got up at work to go to the bathroom. I felt dizzy. I sat on the couch for a minute. I got back up and proceeded to the bathroom stumbling. Sitting on the toilet I called someone saying something is wrong. My neck was so sore and I was unable to move normally. A friend heard me in the bathroom and helped me back to the couch. They called 911. I was having a stroke in the elevator and my brain aneurysm broke.

Comment from: ley, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I suffered too many headaches with vomiting and nausea, and I also experienced the stiff neck and back in 2017. It lasted 3 days and I was confined, the doctor said I have symptoms of a brain aneurysm, but after the 3 days it was gone. I underwent some tests like CT scan, and angiogram but the doctor told me there's nothing, and she told me also that brain aneurysm wasn’t there. I just want to know if is there a chance not to see on the result but have an aneurysm.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was first diagnosed with a shingles outbreak when I was about 20. I’m 40 now, and have literally been having 2 to 4 outbreaks every year since then. The rash is always on my upper right thigh and left ring finger. In the past years, the rash would just burn and itch for a few days, I’d keep it covered, then it would go away. I only saw a doctor a couple of the times for acyclovir (like when I was pregnant). Now the outbreaks are causing me to feel sick and lasting pain.

Comment from: Very Scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

While I was driving, my head felt like it was about to explode. I quickly turned off the main road and parked my car. I was waiting for the pain to subside and continue on, well, the pain never subsided. I started vomiting out of the car and called my husband to come and get me. He took me straight to the local hospital where it was found I had a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: sajani s, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My wife is still having ongoing treatment for brain aneurysm. The day before yesterday she was clipped inside the brain, and while operating, it ruptured creating vasospasm causing right side paralysis. After becoming conscious she had a major attack of brain swelling and promptly she underwent 2nd surgery, craniotomy. Now she is still on ventilator. I don’t know what will happen tomorrow. Hoping for healthiness, but don’t know what now what should be done.

Comment from: Oatescarolin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I woke up the morning of May 6, 2019 getting ready for work, and in the bathroom bending over the tub, I felt the worst pain in my life. It turned out to be a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: browndawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

When I had the brain aneurysm, while taking a shower, all of a sudden it felt like a baseball bat hit me in the back of my head, the pain was excruciating, and I immediately collapsed to the floor.

Comment from: Sandi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had severe headaches that would not go away. My eyelid drooped and I began to have blurred vision and imbalance. This was more than 20 years ago. I went to my primary doctor and she kept saying it was sinus infection. I did not agree. I went to my ophthalmologist, he immediately discovered a lesion on my nerve and sent me to the hospital. I recovered from the brain aneurysm, thank goodness I assumed a normal life, and I am on various medications but fortunate.

Comment from: Carol Larkin 9987, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I've had a brain aneurysm 2 and a half years ago, and while on the operating table a stroke occurred. My surgeon never said anything about it and my primary care physician looked at my CT scan and told me about it. I now have headaches under the titanium plates and don’t remember anything anymore. I wonder if this is unusual or normal, I just don’t know.

Comment from: Texas women , 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 09

When my husband had his brain aneurysm he complained of a real bad headache and he went to lie down. He asked for headache medicine and then he went to the bathroom, was staggering, and lay back down. He collapsed out of bed, he was out for a bit, came to, and crawled to the bathroom. I was telling him I was getting help, and he told me he didn't need help. He hit his head on the toilet seat and passed out the final time. He was air flighted to the hospital, a tracheostomy put in and was flown to Corpus overnight, and flown to San Antonio. He is living.


Concussions & Brain Injuries: Symptoms, Tests, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: Moira l, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 12

I went out to work and felt fine. I bent down to write a report, felt very dizzy, got up and couldn't walk in a straight line. In my head and neck I had the worst pain I've ever experienced. The less I moved my head the more the pain eased, and after three scary hours the pain went. But thinking on prior to this for a few days when just sitting down the room spun around! I never asked or received medical help till 2 days after and after an MRI scan it was found 2 blood vessels had burst in my brain. I was very lucky to survive the brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Bamby Dappy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been on telmisartan 80 mg and amlodipine 40 mg for 2 years. On the 30th of December 2018, I was invited by a church to preach. Ten minutes into the sermon, I felt a terrible headache at the center of my head. I unconsciously sat on a chair close to the altar. I came around on Tuesday at the hospital. They did CT scan and angiography where my brain aneurysm was diagnosed. The major surgeon to do the clipping travelled out of Nigeria to come back on the 28th January 2019. I am waiting for him to come back.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am one of the lucky few who found out about my brain aneurysm before it ruptured. I had a bicycle accident and was knocked unconscious. Found out I had a 1.6 cm right carotid artery aneurysm. I had double barrel pipeline stent with coils on November 15th, 2018. Scary thing is I had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. Hadn’t even had a headache in years. I happen to vaguely remember my mother had one, fortunately hers never ruptured. My neurosurgeon said yes, aneurysms are hereditary.

Comment from: L.D.Hill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

With my brain aneurysm I felt a tingling feeling in the right side of my face and neck. I managed to sit down on the edge of the sofa. I felt an excruciating pain at the base of my neck. It felt as if I'd been hit with a thick piece of steel! I called 911, giving as much information as possible. I closed my eyes but never lost consciousness. With eyes closed, I could see red and black shapes and colors like that of a lava light. The pain was warm and went from my neck, across my shoulders down my back and up my head.

Comment from: chichurst, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just turned 50. I've had 3 strokes 2 of which were caused from brain aneurysms that popped. I had my first stroke at 42 in 2011, was in the hospital for a month, and my second stroke I had in the emergency room in 2016. My head hurt so bad I couldn't take it, was out of it for a week, woke up wanting to know what was going on, felt great and left the hospital without being discharged. In 2018 I had my 3rd stroke, lay down for bed and had to be taken to the hospital unresponsive. I woke up a week later and felt great again.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Weeks prior to the brain aneurysm my head felt numb. I noticed it appeared I was forcing my legs to move. One day I had a terrible burning pain sensation in my head. The next day I had surgery. The neurologist performed a clipping. I had trouble walking at first. Happy to say I made a full recovery.

Comment from: heartbroken, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My 48 year old sister passed away June 14, 2018 of a brain aneurysm. She complained of a severe headache and pain in her neck, then she said she couldn’t see, her speech was slurred and as they were putting her in the ambulance she mumbled, I am dying. When we all got to the hospital (about 7 minutes away) she was gone. Please don’t mess around with aneurysms, demand a CAT scan, get immediate help if you suspect it.

Comment from: April, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Having this brain aneurism happen was the scariest of my life. I was talking on the phone, not in any pain at all, and all of a sudden there was a “bang” in my head! My granddaughter was walking past and asked if I was ok. I said no, it felt like a stick of dynamite went off in my head. But I could barely speak. My granddaughter called 911 and by time the paramedics got there I could hear them talking to me but I couldn’t see them. Next thing I remember was being in the hospital and seeing my daughter hanging up a picture of my youngest grandbaby on the wall. I had been in the hospital two weeks and didn’t have a clue where I was or how much time had passed. I lost all memory of that time. My brother told me he had been to see me but I didn’t know it. I didn’t know what had happened to me until 3 weeks later. I had had an aneurism. According to my family I was given a 3 percent chances of survival. I’d been in a coma for 4 days. Those two weeks I found out later I guess everyone was coming to say their farewells but I have no memory. My son in law went and had a picture of my new granddaughter enlarged and my daughter was putting on the wall which is the first thing I remembered seeing in the hospital. As time went on during the 6 weeks I was in the hospital is when the doctors and other medical staff began to explain what happened to me. They put a brain shunt in my head and a coil. Recovery has been slow but I’m aware of how close I was to death. I spent 5 weeks in physical therapy. And it took me the longest time to be able to walk without a cane. But the shocking part for me was I’m not the first person in my family to have an aneurism. One of my older sisters also had an aneurism, she too was in a coma for 4 days but she didn’t survive and died about 30 or 40 minutes after being taken off life support. As I research this thing I’m beginning to think there may be something genetic going on. Unfortunately anyone in the family who could probably tell me anything has passed on. So I’m trying to find out all I can to pass it on to my children and grandchildren. When I mentioned this to my neurologist he said yes, it could be something hereditary that caused both my sister and I to have aneurisms.


A concussion is a traumatic brain injury. See Answer
Comment from: Lani Case, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I was at home getting ready for bed and I went to say goodnight to my husband. As I stood up I lost sensation in my hearing and vision. I slowly walked into the lounge where my husband was and I said to him something was wrong, and I didn't feel good. He just glared at my eyes as he said they were huge and then I found myself getting hot very quickly so I headed for my sliding door to go outside and to cool down. As I opened the door I collapsed and hit my head on my deck and was unconscious. My husband rang for ambulance in horror that he might lose me. On that day I had never seen him look so scared. I had lost my feeling in my legs and I couldn't walk or move my limbs. Thankfully I came back around and the ambulance arrived and rushed me to the hospital. I stayed overnight and then they sent me home and said I just had a headache. So I came home and rested. The next day I started deteriorating and our friend who is an ambulance driver popped over for a visit and he told my husband that he had seen death before and I was right on it, and to take me back into the hospital and demand a CT scan of my brain. Sure enough we had the CT and it came back with subarachnoid hemorrhage (brain aneurysm). So I was put into an induced coma to prevent any more damage to my brain and flown on helicopter to the hospital where they rushed me into surgery to stop the bleed. They put a coil in, and saved my life. About 4 percent of people who have aneurysm don’t survive. Thanks for reading my experience with brain aneurysm and hope I can inspire those who are going through the same as me.

Comment from: Sherri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I was on a cruise with my husband and daughter in 2017 (September). We were in the gym working out. All of a sudden my right side arm and leg felt tingly and I could hardly move them. I tried to stand up and walk, but I was very dizzy. As I walked away, I started throwing up. All I remember after this is going to the ship’s doctor. They diagnosed me as having a severe migraine. Three days after we arrived home from the cruise, my husband took me to the emergency room because he said I complained of a bad headache (don't remember any of that). I was diagnosed with a ruptured brain aneurism. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital where I had the aneurism coiled. I was in the Intensive Care for seven days and a regular room for four days. I don't remember the first few days that I was in intensive care. But my husband said that I told him 3 or 4 times that I wanted to die! I don't remember ever saying that! It's been five months now and I am doing great. The only problems I have are a few of my fingers on the right side are tingly and the back of my head on the left side is numb. I'm told that I have a small aneurism on the opposite side of my head, but on the outside of my brain, which shouldn't cause any problems. I have an MRI/MRA scheduled for March 16th to check it. I'll have to see my neurologist for a total of five years. Once that time is passed, he said I will be considered risk free. I am very fortunate that I am alive today and able to talk about what happened to me.

Comment from: Janice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with 3 brain aneurysms about 10 years ago, with no treatment but follow-up with MRAs. No change detected, but I have had a slight, intermittent pulsating pain deep inside the brain for 6 months or so, which is getting more frequent. I wonder if it's from an aneurysm.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

In 1996 I had the most horrendous headache, and my doctor said I had a migraine, but it wasn't. After about 3 weeks of being in absolute agony and continually going back to my doctor who still insisted that I had a migraine, I was eventually admitted to a neurology hospital with no help from my doctor, where I had an MRI Scan and was found to have a brain aneurysm that had been bleeding for the past 3 weeks. I had an operation to stop the bleed but am left with being disabled. I was 42 years old at the time, I am now 63 and wondered if there was any way I can get myself back to normal. I have no use of my left arm and hand and very limited use of my left leg. I now have two beautiful grandchildren and would love to be back to my old self so that I can enjoy them, I would appreciate any help possible.

Comment from: Nate, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 23 and I have an unruptured brain aneurysm. I've heard that aneurysms can bleed and then not bleed again for a while but I'm not sure on the validity. Anyway, I was hoping that a physician or similar patient would see this! My aneurysm is 11 mm and fusiform I believe. It is midline and considered to be in the pericallosal region. At the moment my surgeons aren't sure which treatment is the best because of its location and size. If anyone has input I would love to read them.

Comment from: Rose happy feet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was driving my husband to Church and kissed him goodbye. On my way home I had a horrible headache. It frightened me to the point that I decided to pull onto a 7-11 parking lot and ask for help. Within minutes the police and ambulance arrived and was taken to the hospital where a neurologist was working. My husband was waiting for me at the hospital. I was very scared because I have no idea what was going on. An MRI was performed of my head and it revealed I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. Since my vital signs were high I had to wait about six hours before the doctor performed brain surgery. The surgery was successful, along with an angioplasty. I was in the Intensive Care Unit for over 30 days, then taken to a normal room where I stayed for 14 days. I celebrated my 50th birthday at the hospital with the wonderful staff of nurses and doctors. After I was released I began physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy for about 5 months. I am fortunate that I have recovered fully without any residual effects. Sometimes I feel pain on my left hand. I take Tylenol and the pain goes away. I drive about 1 1/2 hours to work daily and work full time. I am keeping a watchful eye on my two boys and anticipate taking them to the doctor at age 27. My first son is 23 and my second is 20. I am thankful to my precious doctor for saving my life.


Aneurysm (Brain) See brain scan pictures of Alzheimer's and types of dementia See Images
Comment from: Rose happy feet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a survivor. I had a ruptured brain aneurysm on 3-8-2014. I was very fortunate that my husband had the EMS (Emergency Medical Services) take me to the hospital, where the doctor performed a surgery and saved me. I was in the hospital for 35 days and spent my 50th birthday at the hospital. I went for 5 months to physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy. I have recovered without any residuals and I am back at work full time. I drive to work 1 1/2 hours daily, 5 times a week. I last saw my doctor in April 2016 and he said my CT scan of brain looks normal and I do not need to see him for another 3 years. I have two boys which I will have tested at age 27, they are currently 23 and 20.

Comment from: src65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I audibly heard the rupture of my aneurism, I instantly got dizzy and I felt excruciating pain over my entire head. When I went outside the light was so bright, my stomach was flip-flopping and next thing I knew I was throwing up. I just wanted to lie down and go to sleep and I did but when I woke up the pain was still there in my head, it hadn't even eased up any at all. To make a long story short I thought I had the flu so I just kept taking over-the-counter pain pills and stayed in bed as much as possible, until the morning of the 6th day since the pain began, I tried to get up and I couldn't move. My stomach was really upset again and my head still hurt as excruciatingly as the day it began 6 days previously. My friend called the ambulance and 2 weeks later I learned of what really happened. Well, I didn't have the flu. Now I have to see my neurosurgeon every 8 months for not only that one but several others. It turns out the veins on my brain are to small due to a development deformity during the time my mother carried me in her womb.

Comment from: di1016, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had a ruptured brain aneurysm and hemorrhagic stroke in 2014. I had surgery for clipping and 6 weeks later another emergency surgery for fluid build-up and a gel that did not dissolve. Two and a half years later I still get weird feelings in my head. The neurosurgeon says it is normal and I have healed to 90 percent of what I had been before rupture. Sometimes I do not feel right for a while, without any explanation. Blood pressure is now controlled.

Comment from: Lee \\\\ s., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I woke through the night in May 2009 with severe head ache. I just curled up in a ball and hugged the back of my head where the pain was. It lasted about an hour and I thought I was going to die. I eventually went back to sleep, woke in the morning with a slight headache, and went to local walk-in center which told me to go to my doctors. I was referred to the hospital where I was given a lumbar puncture which detected something in my spinal fluid. I was rushed through for an angiogram which detected a millimeter aneurysm behind the left eye in my brain, apparently caused by a carotid rupture. I was in intensive care for a week, had another 2 lumbar punctures, and the last one came back clear. Apparently my carotid artery was healing but still narrow and where my aneurysm lies it's best to leave alone because they will make more damage trying to get at it. I had a checkup in 2011 and that's it. Basically if I have any more symptoms I have to just go back to the neurosurgeon. I worry every day thinking it's grown or it's going to burst.

Comment from: john01, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I experienced a ruptured brain aneurysm in late 2001. I had been working out with weights in the shed at about 9 pm, and it was cold. My partner heard like a snoring noise outside, she opened the door and I was unconscious on the ground with my head in the dog bowl. I woke up in the hospital 2 weeks later with my family by my side after undergoing an artery clipping. Three months later I had coiling for the other aneurysms. I wouldn’t be here to tell my tale if my partner hadn’t opened the back door that night. I am in my 50s now, take medications and live a relatively normal life, I have been fortunate.

Comment from: Tassy Tank, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

At the start of this month (June 2016), my lovely wife was getting ready for a bath, when all of a sudden she said she felt this weird bubbly warm feeling at the back of her head, just above her neck. She put it down to tiredness and headed off to the bathroom. Seconds later she started screaming that her head was on fire and started vomiting into the toilet. I raced into the bathroom and asked what I could do to help, she begged me to run cold water over her head and neck in the shower as she bent over. I did this, and asked her if it was helping at all, she said yes, then no, threw up some more and collapsed into the shower enclosure, breathing like someone snoring in a deep sleep. I called the emergency services and she was taken to our local hospital where they did a CT scan and confirmed a diagnosis of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Later that night she was transferred by Air Ambulance to our capital city’s hospital where they put a drain in the brain aneurysm and attempted to stop the bleeding, which unfortunately failed. She never regained consciousness, and the ventilator was switched off 3 days later.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My mom who had just turned 53 had a fatal brain aneurysm in January 2016. We have no idea if she felt anything beforehand, she just collapsed and was blue within about a minute.

Comment from: theresalynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a headache for several days and finally went to the emergency room. They told me I had a sinus infection and sent me home. The next couple days were horrible as my headache wouldn't go away. Then my boyfriend at the time found me on the floor having a seizure and I couldn't move my left side. He rushed me to the doctor, and at this point I couldn't walk. The same doctor that told me I had a sinus infection told me I had blood on the brain after taking blood and another CT scan. They life-flighted me, where I had emergency surgery for brain aneurysm. It has been almost five years, and I have already been through an operation fixing the plate and screw in my head, now on May 17 I am going again to fix the headaches I've been having for the last five years.

Comment from: Marine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

November 2012, I was 45 years old with a responsible job, at the peak of my career and studies, when I suffered a brain bleed, later known to me as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was at gym when it happened and it felt as if someone made fire in my brain. I felt the moisture running in my brain for a few split seconds and I thought I was going to die. I lost consciousness, my speech and was paralyzed for e few hours. Luckily for me I was taken to hospital very soon and a week later underwent open brain surgery followed by a cerebral angiogram 3 months later to coil the other 2 brain aneurisms I had. Today I realize how lucky I am to be alive. I kept my job but it was not easy. I have no visible damage but the emotional damage was overwhelming and I lost a lot of confidence. My short term memory was almost non-existent. Three years down the line I am much better and so grateful that I got a second chance. I look at life differently, appreciate things more and am much more tolerant.

Comment from: lesley w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 8, 2015 we were on a family holiday when we stopped for a coffee. I picked up my 15 month old granddaughter when I felt a pop on the right side of my head. I put her down as dizziness, blurred vision and the worst headache of my life engulfed me. As I had a stiff neck and numbness down my right side I believed I had a pinched nerve so took painkillers and as I didn't want to spoil the trip for my family we carried on. No amount of painkillers helped my head and I had trouble with my eyes and felt dizzy all the time. I don't remember much about the holiday and on our return I went to my chiropractor. He refused to treat me and insisted I go to the hospital immediately. After CAT scans I was told I had 3 aneurysms and was transferred to a major hospital where I was examined by an angiogram the next day. They coiled 2 of the aneurysms that day and clipped the third the following day as it was quite large and had a large neck, and it had also ruptured. I have had several seizures since and still have 2 smaller aneurysms that are being monitored. Although I know I'm lucky to be alive I still struggle with day to day life, I'm unable to drive and feel fatigued most of the time. I am fearful the 2 remaining aneurysms will require treatment. I have improved over the last 6 months and I'm trying to stay positive I will make a full recovery.

Comment from: thomas b., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My son died within 25 minutes of saying he had a terrible pain in his head. Then he was sick and died in my arms. He had subarachnoid hemorrhage from a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Lmunday, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by brain aneurysm on December 7, 2013. I felt fine until I bent over and my head exploded and I had the worst headache ever! Then I started throwing up. I had never had a migraine before, so I thought maybe that's what was happening. After several hours of intense pain, I finally was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan and immediately called for a helicopter to transport me to a hospital. There, the doctor immediately operated and performed a coil embolization. After one week, my body started salt wasting which was scary. Finally, after 10 days in ICU and 2 nights on a step down floor, I was able to go home. The blood that drained from my brain had pooled at my tailbone, so it was hard to get up or down. It took a while for my body to reabsorb that blood. Recovery took a while, but I've now had two cerebral angiograms, and I'm doing great! I'm thankful to be alive!

Comment from: Arkansas patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had a slow bleed brain aneurysm when I was 58 years of age. The onset was a sudden pain that flashed fully from my head down my spine, and immediate nausea. I was able to drive some 15 or 20 minutes to my house, didn't remember how I got in the garage, and couldn’t get out of the car once there. After my husband got me inside on the bed, I dry heaved into a bowl and knew nothing more until I woke up in the hospital about to have surgery (coiling procedure at a base of the brain aneurysm). I was in ICU for two weeks, and on a regular hospital floor for one week. I returned to work after five weeks, with no residuals except to rebuild my strength from being bed-ridden for the time I was. I had migraine headaches before the aneurysm with some frequency. Now, not so much, in fact, they are rare. I am on blood pressure medicine now and was before the aneurysm. I was emotionally upset and fearful when mine hit because I was out in bad weather and trying to get home before (as it turns out) a tornado hit.

Comment from: Stephen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

It started as a bang behind my left eye, and the migraine came on straight away. I had 2 days off work, saw my doctor, everything seemed fine. My head did feel funny. Two weeks later I had a migraine at work, they took me to my doctor, who gave me medication. I went home to bed, I think I woke up and had a spew, and got back into bed. I awoke with left eye closed. My doctor admitted me to hospital, where I was diagnosed with occipital headache and isolated 3rd nerve palsy. After coil embolization of the aneurysm I have lost control of eye lid and control of the eye. I can still see out of the left eye, but no control.

Comment from: annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was raking fire and tried to straighten up but couldn't because my neck was stiff. Then there was a buildup of pressure as if my blood pressure had hit the roof. I knew something was not right and went to hospital straight away where a CT scan showed two ruptured aneurysms. I was operated on straight away and coils were used. I took a while to recover because of fear of doing things. This was 7 months ago. One was not operated on as it was too small but they are keeping an eye on this and I think they will operate on it in the near future. It can be scary but I was lucky in that no damage was done and I now feel back to my old self.

Comment from: LuckyKaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 3 years ago. The rupture fortunately clotted. I stayed in bed for 3 days until a spinal tap diagnosed my problem. I had brain surgery 2 days later. My hearing was affected for about 6 months. I have recovered 100 percent and often wonder how many others are out there that made a full recovery. The only thing that bothers me are loud noises and I startle easily. I was told, 2 years ago, by my surgeon that I do not need any further treatment.

Comment from: sia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had an aneurysm in the brain stem back in 2000.

Comment from: Mariana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

In 2011 I was at a dinner with my husband, at his brother's house. We were having a great time, when out of nowhere I experienced the most painful headache. The best way to describe it felt like brain freeze on the top of my head, and at the same time my head was pounding. My sister-in-law, a nurse, gave me an aspirin, and told me to follow up with my primary doctor, which I did. I had a CAT scan with contrast and also MRI and MRA, and it showed I had a brain aneurysm on front of my brain. I had a coil placed on it, after spending 5 days in ICU; luckily it was clipped. It was a very frightening experience. I was very lucky!

Comment from: Ellis B., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 27

My brain aneurysm was discovered after I had stroke symptoms. The right side of my face became numb so, I reported to the emergency room. A CAT scan could not find a stroke so, the aneurysm was discovered after an MRI was conducted. Surgery will be conducted on 4-7-15. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had a brain aneurysm 10 years ago 1/10/05. One minute I was fine and the next minute I thought I got hit in the head with a bat. They clipped it and I am fortunate enough to not have any disabilities/defects due to the brain aneurysm. I have 5 siblings and 3 of us have had brain aneurysms. To this day I suffer with headaches and my doctor prescribed a migraine medication which works very well but the headaches are sometimes very severe.

Comment from: Clare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

It started with left sided weakness and vomiting, then came the severe headache (felt like somebody had a screwdriver in my brain and was twisting around). I had fallen and I couldn't remember, though the massive bruise on my left shoulder could only have happened from a fall. Friends were concerned about my behavior and drove me to hospital. I remember walking into Accident and Emergency, 5 days later I woke up in ICU. The ruptured brain aneurysm had been coiled and I had been ventilated for 5 days, when I woke up I was paralyzed down my left side, I was lucky it had resolved 3 days later when I went to the neurology ward.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was in the shower when I felt like a warm liquid was spreading inside my head. Then came the worst headache of my life. I was taken to the hospital and was treated with a coil, 21 days stay in hospital, now 6 months later they tell me the brain aneurysm is growing and I will need either surgery or another coil. I am scheduled to have an angiogram and then the doctor will tell me what he will be doing. I am just grateful to have had no brain damage etc. After reading all the information I realize I was very lucky.

Comment from: Survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been working as an ironer for twenty years. I smoke too much and I drink too much coffee. I had a brain aneurysm on 20th December 2013. I was told by doctor, “You are lucky, only 6% of victims survive. The artery burst and something came and blocked it right away. Do not use aspirin for the rest of your life.” I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure. One month later (February 1st, 2014) I was back out working. I felt a bit weak, but I’m fine now. I still smoke and drink coffee. No water. For 25 years. No change in diet, but I lost 20 pounds in one month (January 2014).

Comment from: Nafis, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My mom recently died of a brain aneurysm. She was 71. She had headaches and developed a drooping eye a few weeks back. My dad had passed away a month back due to lung cancer and we assumed that the drooping eyes were due to her crying. She had shortness of breath but we assumed it was due to her asthma. She felt dizzy couple of days back and we had a doctor check her out at home. She was diagnosed with vertigo. Two days later, she had a stroke and passed away.

Comment from: Annie H., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I felt that something was wrong the day before, I could not put my finger on it, I just felt off. The next day I went out to lunch with a friend and then came home and fixed dinner for my husband. We hugged and he was leaving for school, I went in the laundry room for obvious reasons. That is the last thing that I remember. My husband said he heard some strange sounds as he was going out the door and decided to check them out. He found me on the bathroom floor (it’s next to the laundry room) and I was out cold. He called 911. I woke up about three weeks later and found out that I had suffered brain aneurysm, they found three but only one had bled. They put coils around them and I was in the hospital and aftercare for about a month and a half. A bit of warning here. The doctor told my family that in best case I would be a drooling two year old (not so). I had to work really hard to get my left arm and hand working again but now they work almost as good as they did before. I still have numbness in my feet but they follow my legs pretty well. My math skills got a bit better but not my spelling (darn). It’s been almost five years now. I have lost my filters and say whatever pops into my head and I have spinning circles in my eye sight. Every day is a gift.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have a brain aneurysm and am waiting for surgery. I had an angiogram then in recovery I had a mini stroke that has left a blind spot in my right eye. I have a very sore neck and some headaches. I am quite worried because I have a brother and sister who had aneurysm that burst. The hospital is still making me wait even with our family history of brain disorders. Also my speech sometimes gets a little jumbled.

Comment from: Shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I’ve suffered two brain aneurysms, the first one 22 years ago whilst 5 months pregnant with my now 22 years old son. I’ve always had migraines but this one was different, so severe. I had it every day for about a week and the doctor thought it was because I was pregnant. Then one morning I passed out in the shower and they rushed me to the hospital. I don’t remember about 3 weeks, the aneurysm had leaked but I had a great surgeon. I suffered a stroke after the operation but thankfully my son was born 4 months later and everything was ok. My left eye was closed and my left side weak. The second one was 3 years ago, I’m now 51. It was clipped as well and found when in emergency due to a migraine. My memory is not good and my personality has changed. I had a CT scan done a few weeks ago and it showed an area where my brain has died which explains my memory and emotions. It is very scary, I have no idea what might happen now.

Comment from: Mum to 4, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 05

I had been diagnosed with labyrinthitis and given tablets to stop the dizziness and nausea and these tablets worked. I was told I might get better in weeks and if it wasn't cleared within 12 months I should go back to the specialist with suspected Meniere’s disease. I was happy to know my condition was not life threatening and time went by (11 months), all the time things got worse and... I didn't really notice! That's a brain disorder for you! Moments of blindness, etc., saw me go to an eye test and from there I was fast tracked through to hospital with an un-ruptured 4.5 cm aneurysm. Only 1 headache in all that time, 2 days before I was taken to hospital. It was a bad headache and I believe it was the start of what would have been my demise. It’s been 4 years now and there have been no consequences or setbacks to date. Thank goodness.

Comment from: 49 years old, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

On May 26, 2014 I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage. At 12:30 am I was up talking on the phone, I started to get a stabbing pain in my neck and a headache. I asked my family to call 911 immediately as I felt as though I was going to pass out. Thank goodness I live near one of the best and major hospitals, they did a CT scan and I can't remember much more than that I was brought to surgery that lasted 4 hours. The brain aneurysm was coiled. I was in ICU for 9 days I believe, some things I still can't remember. I have all types of therapy now, I don't think I obtained any permanent damage but I don't feel right. It has only been a month so it’s too early to tell. I want to mention that I had a car accident just a few months prior to this, not sure if it could be related.

Comment from: David Gregory, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a severe headache. My wife called Emergency Medical Services (EMS). That is the last thing I remember. She said I was down and out and having trouble breathing. EMS came quickly and they put in airway, etc. I was in hospital within the hour and had CT scan and brain aneurysm was found. Coiling was done and I was in ICU four days, on ventilator. They gave me 'gold pills' to keep blood pressure up and I woke up and was soon in the room. I don't remember much, but I do know that I am blessed to be alive. Great wife and doctors.

Comment from: elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been having severe eye pain on and off for the past two and a half years. I have consulted the ophthalmologist who kept telling me it is due to dryness in the eye. A month ago when I lost my glasses I went to the optician who tested my eyes and noticed I had almost lost vision in my left eye. My nightmare of brain aneurysm started and ended with coiling and a flow diverter stent put in!

Comment from: no name, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on Jan 13, 2013. I came home from work and found him on the living home floor. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he had the worst headache he had ever had. I gave him ibuprofen and was told he had trouble swallowing. He also told me he had pain on the back of his neck. I called our doctor and he told me to take him to the emergency department (ED). They found a ruptured aneurysm and it could not be coiled. He had surgery and had to have it clipped. During surgery another aneurysm burst which had to be clipped. I got him to the ED early enough that he was able to fully recover except for short term memory loss. He does have mood swings but he was able to go back to work. I was wondering if the aneurysm could cause some kind of dementia later in his life.

Comment from: sandi 63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Last year I was driving with friends when a clapping type of headache came on. I was throwing up and began to lose vision. I went to the hospital and had a CT scan, and found a cerebral hemorrhage. I woke up learning that there were brain aneurysms, a total of three in my head, perhaps due to smoking. They clipped them and I am still on medications. I suffered a stroke had a quick recovery… however I have severe agitation and short term memory loss.

Comment from: Gloria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

In 2010 I had 5 brain aneurysms. It was a good thing I went to the emergency room. When I did they scheduled a CAT scan then an MRA to see how big they were. The next day I had an angiogram. They coiled the largest one that measured at 15mm then two months later I had open brain surgery for an aneurysm on my front right side that measured at 5mm. They then inserted a clip for that one. Then 10 months later I had open brain surgery on my left side for another that measured at 4mm. They clipped that one as well. I had 3 strokes after the second surgery when I was still at the hospital recovering. The only effect I had from the stroke was my speech and weakness. After all of that I’m doing just fine. I still have 2 left but they"re small. I get MRAs every two years.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had headaches all my life but I was at work one night and had tons of pressure in my head and a hurting neck. I am a stubborn woman and didn’t want to leave work but my boss came to me about 3 hours later and said I looked bad, pale and my eyes looked funny. He suggested that I needed to go to the hospital but I said no I will be ok. Half an hour later he came back and pretty much demanded I go, so I went. I had a CAT scan about thirty minutes later and then I had to go to the restroom. I had double vision and then it felt like I was stabbed in the head! I finally made it to the door and fell in the floor! I was diagnosed with 5 aneurysms! For 3 weeks the doctor went up through my leg to stop the vasospasms and then the fourth week I had brain surgery. They clipped the two that were on the left side and two weeks later I was released and now I have to go tomorrow to see what to do with the other three!

Comment from: libra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered with subarachnoid hemorrhage 4 days after my 50th birthday last year October 18, 2013. I woke up with a terrible headache. I took ibuprofen 800, it did not go away. My next instinct was to take my blood pressure and it was too high 176/126 and a HR of 147. I knew something was wrong. I don't have issues with high blood pressure but my husband has BP medications so I took one and took 2 tums because I wanted to vomit. When I tried getting up, I couldn't bear the pain in my head. They brought me to a nearby hospital and found out that I had bleeding in my brain and they cannot do a surgery there. They airlifted me to another hospital. At first the doctor said, he will do the coiling but after a series of tests, he told my husband, they need to do craniotomy and put a clip on the bleeding because the aneurysm ruptured. It was a 4 hour surgery. Fortunately, I was restored without any residuals. But, despite that, I still feel scared at times. I am back to work part time. My next appointment for MRI and CT scan will be on the 3rd of March. They still need to watch out another bulge that did not rupture. My grandmother died of stroke in the 80s. Many said that she might have died of brain aneurysm. So , my doctors said if someone in your family have it, have the immediate family check.

Comment from: lynnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had SAH (subarachnoid hemorrhage) in July 2011, I had just turned 50. My sister had died of one 17 years prior, but was told then that SAH was not hereditary. I had extreme headache around the top of my head (Headaches are not normal for me.) I drove myself to the hospital, barely, they did a CT scan and saw blood in brain, airlifted me to a major hospital for coiling. I stayed there for about 2 weeks monitoring vasospasms. I have had 3 invasive checks of the coiling since then, all clear. I’m happy to be here. Be your own consumer patient advocate when something doesn't feel right.

Comment from: Wat If, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I've never had issues with headache other than when my period is on occasionally. My tolerance for pain is very high, I've always refused to go to the doctor/emergency room when I'm not well. The night of May 1, 2013 my son had cooked dinner, I walked in the kitchen to prepare some gravy and bam! It felt like someone struck me in my temple with a hammer. I just sat down at the table holding my head and in my mind I was saying 'something’s not right here'. My son asked if I was ok and I told him no, I have a bad headache, I'm going to try to lay down a minute to see if it passes. I could not lay down more than 30 seconds before I became nauseated. I sat up on the side of the bed and told my son I’ve got to go to the emergency room. We got to the emergency room about 6 minutes from my home and I started vomiting. They rushed me in to get a CAT scan, realizing I had a ruptured aneurysm which this hospital could not treat. They rushed me to the best hospital in this area for this, where they immediately went to work on me. My doctor said they did the coiling procedure but while they were doing it I passed a clot, which they had to fix before they could finish the coiling. The first 5 days following I don't remember anything, everyone said I was corresponding but drowsily. I lost no mental or mobile functions. I was in the ICU for 2 weeks, then sent home. I went back to working remote the next day with no issues as far as remembering my duties. The only issues after the aneurysm was panic attacks and short term memory loss. I went back to get an angiogram 6 months later and I was told that the aneurysm was filling with blood again. On November 8, 2013 I was back to get the coiling procedure done again. I still only have panic attacks and short term memory lost. I have to go back in 3 months this time to get another angiogram.

Comment from: Dazzelfire59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In 2004 I had a ruptured aneurysm that I woke up to which left my left side paralyzed. It took many years to learn to walk and use my left side at all. In 2010 I was told by my neurologist that they found an aneurysm behind my right eye. (Cerebral aneurysm - often with this it is said they find in an autopsy.) I woke up to half my hair gone and cut from for head to ear then from muscle around right eye to get to the aneurysm. Mine is an inherited kind. Lucky me, I walked out of the hospital on the 3rd morning which most say takes 2 weeks. The worst thing was migraines even today and bad eye sight; and a lumpy head.

Comment from: sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When my aneurism burst I got dizzy and sick with my stomach. I lay down and went to sleep for a while, when I awoke I wasn't dizzy any more but I had a bad head ache for 6 days. I assumed I had caught the flu, I had been around friends who simultaneously got the flu from each other. I had never had bad headaches and this was the worst. My mom suffered from migraines so I thought I was going to be like mom with migraines. I was wrong; on the 6th day in the early morning paralysis started setting in and my tummy got upset. An ambulance was called and for the next 23 days I spent in intensive care with a touch and go prognosis. They had discovered the problem with a spinal tap and an MRI; they treated me for high blood pressure, apparently it is what caused it to burst. They coiled it 3 times, apparently my veins on the brain are tiny. I am now receiving annual angiograms to monitor a second aneurism on the opposite side that has not burst. It is potentially fatal because of the area it is in and I’ve been told that I will experience very different symptoms.

Comment from: daBABY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on December 21st of last year. I woke early needing to go to the restroom, but was dizzy and nauseous as soon as I opened my eyes. I had no headache. I vomited several times but had to have help walking. My husband and son took me to the local hospital where I had a CT-scan, which revealed bleeding in my brain. I was transported to another hospital with a neurosurgeon. He cauterized the artery and saved my life. I have some troubles with balance and my left hand is shaky; but no lasting damage!

Comment from: Misty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My grandmother passed away in her fifties from an aneurysm and my father also had passed away from an aneurysm at the age of 48. I started having really bad headache last year and contacted my doctor to have tests done to check if I might have an aneurysm since I heard they might be hereditary. This is when I found out at the age of 33 that I do in fact have a brain aneurysm in my brain stem. They said it is not yet big enough to do anything about; they have to wait until it is 3mm big before anything can be done. It is very scary to live with something like this, even though my doctor said to continue with my daily life as normal. I was in the hospital last September because my head felt like it was going to burst like someone was taking a bat to it. They did a spinal tap to see if the aneurysm was bleeding but thankfully it was not. They stated it was just a bad migraine. So right now they just monitor it and I am not supposed to go back until 2014 for another CTA or angiogram. I take it day by day and hope for the best!

Comment from: kenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 50 years old when I was at work and started getting a headache, then I felt like I was in a dream. I knew something was wrong. I just did not feel right. I went to the emergency room, I told the doctor that my sister had passed away from a brain aneurysm, so he did an MRI. He came back to the room and told me and my wife that I had a brain aneurysm at about 9mm and that something had to be done. It did not rupture but was pushing on my brain. I since had a coil put in the aneurysm. I still get headaches and my short term memory is bad. I also have a hard time learning things, I can't remember a lot of things. It’s just not cool.

Comment from: karliexojordan, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 17 and I just had two aneurysms clipped on November 18th. The way it was discovered was accidentally through and MRI. For a few months I had been having blackouts in my right eye that lasted 1-5 minutes. I had these every few months. Finally, I got it checked and that is how it was found. I had one large one, and a smaller one forming. My grandfather and great uncle died from ruptured aneurysms, so I am at risk because of heredity. The artery that these were found on is very weak and I have a chance of getting another. I went to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for my surgery, and to the Children's Hospital for recovery. The doctors that I had seem to think that the eye blackouts are not related to the aneurysm. It is still a mystery. I've had some complications since my surgery, and right now I'm waiting for results that will determine whether I had a seizure, stroke, or if have a blood clot, or numerous other possibilities. This was a terrifying experience for me, and I like to share my story because I am proud of myself and how far I have come. I am so thankful to be here today.

Comment from: suzette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

In 2004, I experienced a tremendous headache. It seemed to grow stronger over several hours. I experienced a flow of blood run down the inside of my head right above my ear. I felt very delirious and scared. Hours later, I went to the emergency room and after several more hours of scans, I was told I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. I was still coherent, but the pain in my head was unbearable. I felt like my skull would crack open. They prepped me for surgery. Six hours later, my doctor had completed the surgery and clipped my aneurysm. I experience tremendous headaches for days while I was hospitalized. I remained completely coherent. Weeks later, I recovered beautifully and resumed a normal life. Two years later, I insisted on a follow up. The radiologist found another aneurysm not quite as large as the first one. I waited 3 months for surgery. Remarkably, I survived a second surgery and my aneurysm was clipped. I am living a perfectly healthy and normal life now with no repercussions at all. I have heard so many terrible stories of patients that haven't been as fortunate. I want to share my story to give hope to others. God has blessed my life, and for that, I am thankful every day. Please know that there is hope. You would never know anything was ever wrong with me. It is truly a miracle.

Comment from: c wood, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Without the slightest warning at the age of 36 I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. My head felt like it was in a vice I was constantly sick, and I could not move my neck. I was taken to the local hospital and then moved to the best place to be if you are unlucky enough to get one, The Western General Edinburgh. I was operated on for about 5 hours, and coils were used to stem the bleeding. I made a full recovery. That was 8 years ago and I am grateful that due to the help I received I am still here with my children and husband. It is important to know this condition does not always mean death or disability.

Comment from: A loving friend, 55-64 Female Published: November 09

In early November 2009, a young, 60-year old, energetic and full of the zest of life woman, was gardening in her yard and suffered a massive brain aneurysm. She was found unconscious in the yard, with perhaps 10-minutes passing from when last interacted with. CPR was administered, till the ambulance arrived and transported her to the hospital. She was not breathing. At the hospital, an emergency procedure was attempted that doctors may have called a "CAP", said was only successful 10% of the time and that she may not live through the night. The next day, after no responses, assisted breathing and no 'lower brain' activity, the decision was made to pull the life support, after the doctor's signing of a death certificate and waiting 12-hours more to coordinate organ donor removing. There were no apparent signs of its impending arrival and likely not much that could have been done to prevent it. A tragic and sudden loss of a wonderful life was shockingly realized. Yet..., one can also feel a sense of peace, with a twinkling in the eye, how unfair these circumstances are. She got to live a wonderfully, robust and excitingly, charmed life and then was allowed to 'pass' in such a smooth, sudden fashion, with no prolonged pain, anguish or second thoughts about it. With that in mind, though dearly missed already, since we all have to go, truly, what a fittingly lovely and quick way for it to happen. It was just 30-years too soon.

Comment from: seve53, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I suffered a ruptured aneurysm 1/26/06 and what they say is true: It was the worst headache I ever had. I was rushed to the hospital and after a CT scan, I was flown to Dartmouth Hitchcock where I had surgery. The operation was long and didn`t remember anything for a couple of weeks. I suffered a stroke from the operation which has left my right side useless. They also found another aneurysm on the other side which I had operated on in 2008, and this one went well. I still suffer with the right side of my body and at 56 it is hard to deal with not being able to work.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My Dad aged 87 suffered from a brain Aneurysm on the 14th of April. A clipping was performed on him through surgery. He came out fine and was not even on a ventilator but 2 days later went into a coma like state and remained like that for 3 weeks remaining on the ventilator. He then developed pulmonary infection and has only come to the room for a period of 2 weeks where he spoke audibly and would smile. It didn’t last long and he is again in the ICU. Today he does not know who he is, does not recognize anyone, cannot read, write or speak audibly. It is August 17th and he still needs to be on the ventilator off and on so he cannot be sent to the room. I feel so helpless, he just stares and has no idea where he is or who comes to visit him. He is fed through a peg tube from the stomach and has a catheter attached for urine. I am his daughter his main caregiver and I just go twice a day to the hospital hoping for a miracle where he would remember me.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My Dad aged 87 suffered from a brain Aneurysm on the 14th of April. A clipping was performed on him through surgery. He came out fine and was not even on a ventilator but 2 days later went into a coma like state and remained like that for 3 weeks remaining on the ventilator. He then developed pulmonary infection and has only come to the room for a period of 2 weeks where he spoke audibly and would smile. It didn’t last long and he is again in the ICU. Today he does not know who he is, does not recognize anyone, cannot read, write or speak audibly. It is August 17th and he still needs to be on the ventilator off and on so he cannot be sent to the room. I feel so helpless, he just stares and has no idea where he is or who comes to visit him. He is fed through a peg tube from the stomach and has a catheter attached for urine. I am his daughter his main caregiver and I just go twice a day to the hospital hoping for a miracle where he would remember me.

Comment from: Butterfly , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had an umbilical hernia in 2009. Two years ago it ripped back open, but I could always push it back in. Then I lifted something heavy and had to go to the emergency room. They pushed it and now every time I eat or drink I have a strong bubbling sensation in my bellybutton area. Wonder if I should be concerned.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I had a revision hip surgery 6 months ago and got an infection. I was on antibiotics for 3 months but I get a burning feeling in the bottom inner thigh and front of thigh. Wonder if this is nerve pain.

Comment from: Raymond 122, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

When I cough my head and my shoulders hurt. I bend over and my head feels like it’s going to explode off my shoulders. I am worried it might be a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Trishabennett47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm not sure if I have a brain aneurysm or not. All of a sudden I feel like a hammer hits me in the head. Immediately my head starts swimming, I temporarily lose my eyesight, I become nauseated and I pass out. I'm usually unconscious anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. This happened this past Friday, it is Monday and I am still lightheaded and nauseated.

Comment from: sandra, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

My daughter was working last night when she had a sudden headache. She told her boss but they wouldn’t let her go home. She then felt like her throat was closing up, felt dizzy and lost her hearing. She was also very pale and still is. Her headache is gone but she is still dizzy and has blurred vision. I am worried if this could be a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: pat evans, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My sister-in-law who had a brain bleed from an aneurysm over two months ago, eats very little and will not take medicines. She was 86 pounds when she went to the hospital and is now 74. He is sure she is going downhill. They live on social security and that is about all. She can move all her limbs and knows family member but she forgot what happened to her.

Comment from: b&a, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 15

My 6 year old son says his head hurts and feels like a volcano is inside. I am worried if he has a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

Well, I am not sure what’s going on with me or if I have a brain aneurysm. I have very bad migraines and every morning I wake up I hurt in the back of my head like my brain is on fire. My neck is very stiff and I can barely move. I have had an MRI that was normal. I just need some sort of answers. At first I thought maybe it was my pillow, I am tired of buying new pillows.

Comment from: Cole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I wonder how one feels days/weeks before the aneurysm occurred. I'm not sure if I have un-ruptured brain aneurysm but there's always one spot in my head that hurts every day, especially when the weather is hot, accompanied by stiff neck. It’s been going on for weeks I am not sure if it's because of the pinched nerve in my back. I'm worried sick I want to get a CT scan but I am scared that it might have a negative effect on my baby since I'm currently on my third trimester.

Comment from: Peggy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 05

On January 21, 2018 my 15 year old son had a brain aneurysm and had a coiling. Since then he suffers with daily chronic neck pain. He has seen a physiotherapist and that only helps 50 percent. He takes one ibuprofen in the morning and occasionally has to take one before bed. He finds that a heat pack/ice pack relieves some of the pain but it never completely goes away. I would like to know if there is anything I can do for him to relieve the pain. Thank you.

Comment from: Jessica, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: January 12

To Janice who commented with disability after brain aneurysm and surgery. I don't know if it would help, but constraint-induced movement therapy (CI, CIT, or CIMT), might help. It is a specialized treatment that limits movement of you 'good arm' which trains your brain to use your affected arm again. Sometimes the results are remarkable. If I were impacted I would do this therapy. I wish you the best!

Comment from: Courtney, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 29

An aneurysm ruptured on my brain stem when I was eighteen years old. I was in the hospital from May 10 of 1991 until September 20 of 1991. I had to learn how to walk again. I have a visual field of less than twenty degrees in both eyes and with both eyes together. I have short term memory problems, but my long term memory is phenomenal, and I'd like to know why my long term memory is so good.

Comment from: Belkin8, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

One thing we did not find in any forum or website was what happens after surgery for an un-ruptured brain aneurysm. We weren't prepared for the fact that they try not to give great pain medicines because they need to monitor your brain activity to make sure you are okay. So they can't have you loopy. And the constant up and down blood pressure that they try to regulate! The swelling is like you got hit with a baseball bat. They just say, you'll have some swelling. I wish they were honest on how horrible day 1 and 2 after surgery would be. The facial swelling and the brain swelling

Comment from: Carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Two and a half years ago I had an attack and till this day the doctors haven’t figured it out. I was going in and out of consciousness, I could see then I couldn’t, blackouts went on the entire time I had my attack. During the attack, I felt a hot sensation go up the back of my head, felt like a hot flame inside my head. My eyes at that point felt like they kept crossing. I then didn’t know my own name, where I was and I was home, and worst of all my boyfriend’s name; I just didn’t know who he was. I was ambulanced to the hospital and they didn’t find anything. I’m still searching for answers, whether it was a stroke, an Alzheimer attack, or brain aneurysm, etc. Till this day I have no answers and it has changed my life. I have problems now with my vision, bad anxiety, PTSD, and OCD. I’m just dizzy and weak all the time. I hope I get answers.

Comment from: Isobel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had a dissection of left internal carotid artery when I was 31. I had intense headache for some days, with unequal pupils. It resulted in Horner's syndrome, and now I seem to have some neuralgia, making me rub the left side of my scalp, and I get a sudden pain in the left side of my neck. My pupils continue to react to light at different speed.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had bad headaches and I have a stent on my right side behind my right eye. I had it done two years ago. It saved me I have another brain aneurysm on my left. I check it from time to time it's a number 3 or 4 now. I hope I don't have to go through with 3 angiograms like before. They found the first one on time it was a size 10, but I am here now and wanted to share my story. It was hard and still is.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a brain aneurysm and my surgeon decided, because of the location and the shape, with the coiling. My procedure was on July 9th and I have yet heard back from my surgeon for a follow-up or a scan. I have headaches every day and sometime very severe.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

In January 2013 I had endovascular coiling to repair an 11 mm basilar tip aneurysm. Immediately after I began suffering from fatigue. Some days it was all I could do to get up. I also found that the things I used to love to do held absolutely no interest for me. It’s now a year and a half later and not much has changed. I still have no interest in the hobbies I used to love. The fatigue is still a major problem, yesterday I saw a new doctor who believes the coiled aneurysm may be pressing on the area of my brain dealing with fatigue and serotonin production. He prescribed a new medicine to see if it helps.

Comment from: sophie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My mum suffered with a brain aneurysm in 2011, she had the worst headache ever. It was a good thing I was with her. I called an ambulance and she had the aneurysm coiled. She was in hospital for a couple of weeks and recovered well. Now 3 months back we found out that the operation had failed and now she is on the waiting list for it to be clipped. I am so worried as I am only 23 and really don’t want to lose my mum.

Comment from: Seras, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

My mother died at age 51 of an undiagnosed aneurysm the day after Christmas. She had been an airline stewardess for years and had a heart murmur from scarlet fever. Her symptoms were very strange. For at least 6 months she had a low grade fever almost every day, also a severe cough plus dizzy spells and confusion. The doctors at our clinic thought it was tuberculosis and then they said maybe it was just in her mind.

Comment from: djcorrigan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an aneurysm in 1998. The doctor explained while he operating it in the brain it burst 4 times and when another one started to form he packed in cotton and closed me up thinking since it was deep in the middle of the brain I would not wake up and will be in bad shape. I came out in great shape and have been doing well for the past 15 years. I have got my left eye working with lots of willpower.

Comment from: Carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I suffered from mild headaches nearly my entire adult life and it was misdiagnosed as migraines. One evening without warning, I collapsed. I recall waking up with the worst headache I’d ever experienced. After nearly two days, my husband took me to the ER. I was diagnosed with a ruptured aneurysm. I was transported to another hospital and had several surgeries. I was told I had a total of seven aneurysms. Other than a daily struggle with short-term memory loss, I seem to be doing well. God is truly amazing.

Comment from: momo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I suffered a large brain hemorrhage in September 2008. I think I survived due to quick treatment at the hospital and luck! My recovery has been very slow I think due to the extent of the hemorrhage, but I’m thankful to be here. Time does make all the difference to this and a positive attitude. It all happened when I went to the gym, started my class, then stayed conscious long enough to raise the alarm and explain my symptoms. I knew it was serious. After that I remember nothing and was in hospital for 1 month. I do have two more unruptured aneurysms and have been told not to worry about them as they are tiny. But I think about them often.

Comment from: 7yrsandcounting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have 3 unruptured aneurysms. One coiled in 2002, one they stented in 2006 because it was a wide-neck but they were unable to coil, and one just found that they will monitor. It is still a learning process for the doctors, but they continue to improve the treatment methods. Like one person who posted, I have occasional odd symptoms that they can't associate to the aneurysms. You learn to appreciate the time you have and be aware of possible symptoms, but you can't let it rule your life. I won't be going back for more treatments until my children are older...with all the improvements they made in the last 7 years, I will continue to monitor mine annually and maybe in 10 years or so they will be able to treat these even better. And thank you to those survivors who posted their stories as it does help to hear from them.

Comment from: Montana, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 06

I have an unruptured 3 mm brain aneurysm in the center right artery. I am showing symptoms that I am told I should not be having. It is only now that I am learning about my condition and am having trouble finding any answers except for "wait and see." I have trouble comprehending new things I read, my short term memory is shot, I shake like crazy, and I see things and hear things that are not there (this only sometimes). I have pain in my head, neck and behind both eyes every day so bad that I wish I could take my eyes out! I have resulted to wearing sunglasses everywhere because the light is so painful! The doctor tells me it will not rupture and to live a normal life. I want so badly to be the active person that I am, but I would like to also live a bit longer.

Comment from: Lucky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I survived a brain aneurysm it was huge 25mm in size. They put 3 clips in my head, and went in through my head. I am 3 months healing now at home. I have limitations now and for the rest of my life, like no stress, no caffeine, no forcing, no lifting, and no bending my head down. I am sure you all know of these limitations, because I am prone to having a stroke if I do not follow these simple rules.