Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Symptoms


What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I had a very swollen left foot, leg and thigh, no pain, with pinkish coloration before I was diagnosed with a blood clot.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

At work I would do my job and I was short of breath. I thought maybe I should start working out as I needed to get into shape. Weeks/days have gone by now. It was Friday, I got off work and I made it half the distance to my car and I had to sit down and catch my breath. I made it home and Saturday I took it easy. Sunday was associated with trying to make breakfast and it was hard to just stand by the counter but I got it done. I had a list a mile long so I went to the store. Just walking to my car was hard and driving I had the windows down to get air into me. I got home and told my husband I didn't feel good and I was going to put my pajamas on, thinking to get the pressure off of my stomach and lying down for a while I would feel better when I woke up. I got undressed and the sweat was just pouring off of me and I told my husband he needed to take me to the emergency room as I couldn't breathe. I got to the hospital and within minutes I was in a room and a CT scan was taken. Oxygen was put on and it was like the plastic bag was removed from my face. Doctor came in and he told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was 'thank goodness I came in,' and bad news was I had a very large blood clot in my lung but not in one lung, in both, and he said I will be in the hospital for a while. I got home and still am very dizzy when I walk etc. Right now it feels like I have something lodged in my throat and chest. I have never gone through this or have known of anyone going through this, or when it started and why. As of right now I don't feel good. And if the clots are breaking down, I don't like going to a doctor and I think I'm going very soon again. This was so scary and thank goodness I didn't take a nap that day!

Comment from: jmb43058, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My first clot was in my leg that went to my lung. I had no symptoms other than my leg swelling from foot to ankle over a few days. I was being told it was everything but a clot, finally when it was up in my thigh and an old motorcycle burn started leaking fluid I knew I had to go to hospital. There they found it was a massive blood clot from leg to lungs. I was in hospital 7 days and in ICU 4 days with all kinds of thinner medicines going through my body. Interventional radiology went up to lung, through the back of knee to lung with TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) to blast clot out. It took 4 days to get it all out. Then in 2015 I was going through a lot of stressful things with anxiety. All of a sudden I was so short of breath I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. That night I went to hospital, I just couldn't shake the anxiety. They found a massive clot in lung again. I don't know how I made it through that but thankfully, 5 days in hospital they went through the bottom of belly to lung to blast some of it out. I am now on Xarelto for life, and I have been making rounds with vascular doctor, pulmonary doctor, heart doctor and hematologist who did blood work today to see if any blood factors are causing the clots.

Comment from: Hillbillyjim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Before I was diagnosed with blood clot I had a dull pain that felt like a cramp in my leg. It moved up my leg, over the course of a week. Now it is in my lower left side, by my kidney.

Comment from: msjdy3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Looking back I realize my first symptom of blood clot was getting dizzy every time I stood up. This went on for a while, and I thought it was due to the heat of summer. Next, for no apparent reason both of my arms would go dead, heavy and hard to move like they had gone to sleep. Then I lost control of my little finger and the one next to it on my left hand. They would be spread out and I could not move them together. This I took notice, but did nothing. Then one night the top of my foot felt like it was tight and kind of swollen. I felt some pain but had not hurt my foot so I did not know why it was hurting or felt tight. Next I was sleeping and tried to wake up to tell my son something before he left for work, but I thought I could not wake up. Then actually I was having a small stroke and could not move or speak. My son asked me if I was alright and I thought I was answering him, but I was not. He called the ambulance. After they told me I had a blood clot and that it had moved causing the stroke, I realized there had been a string of events that led up to it. Only in hindsight did I put them together.

Comment from: Patricia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I didn't have any warning signs that a clot was developing. I was out salsa dancing the night before I developed any symptoms! Pain in my calf woke me the following morning and I found that the calf was swollen (3 cm bigger than the other) so I went to the emergency room where I was diagnosed pretty much straight away. I was in great health before this; not overweight, never smoked, active, and now I feel far more vulnerable.

Comment from: Aliveat75, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I have muscle invasive bladder cancer. After 9 chemotherapy treatments I developed deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in lower left leg. Symptoms were pain in lower left leg, fever (101.3), heart failure due to atrial fibrillation, and infection. Doctor is working to control atrial fibrillation so surgical removal of bladder and prostate can proceed. Blood thinners (self-administered shots) and antibiotics are prescribed as treatment. Prognosis is 6 months for clot to be absorbed by body. Blood clot is probably due to lack of exercise due to tiredness caused by chemotherapy.


A Visual Guide to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) See Slideshow
Comment from: Jason B, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Around November 2013, I began having chest pain and difficulty breathing every time I went out into the cold air. I"m in my mid 30s and don"t get the opportunity to exercise like I"d like so I passed it off as being out of shape. In early January, I woke up feeling like I had a severe cramp below my right calf. I tried massaging but it was very painful. I rested that day and then put in two full days of work before finally giving in and going to my doctor. I thought I had just torn or strained a muscle somehow. By then my right leg was burning. Luckily my doctor knew what he was doing and immediately scheduled me for an ultra sound at the local hospital. Before the ultra-sound was over, I was informed that I was not going home that day. I had several clots from my right knee to my ankle. A CT was also conducted and I had several clots in both lungs. Eight days later I got to go home. So far the cause is unknown. I hadn"t taken any long trips, suffered any injuries, or been immobile at work/home for long periods of time. There is also no family history of clots. I"ve had every kind of test imaginable with no luck as to finding the cause. I can"t sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time which also means I"m not sleeping very much. I still have leg pain and difficulty breathing. My oxygen levels vary between 94 and 98 and taking a full breath is not possible without the pain. It is 1 1/2 months after first diagnosis and I still can"t get my INRs to level out. I"m taking between 7.5mg and 12.5mg of warfarin every day.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with a blood clot started with a small pinch type of pain in my left calf when I walked, but no pain at all from cycling so I continued to ride for a couple of days then found myself unable to have my leg below waist level for more than 5 minutes (intense pain and swelling). I waited 2 days to go to the emergency room and am on Xarelto twice daily now.

Comment from: coneyisland813, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I have had a blood clot in my leg. It made my foot hurt very bad i could not walk on it for 3 days i went to the hospital just as the clot was on the move. I still have a lot of clots, a filter in my chest stents balloons you name it. The clots won't go away.

Comment from: Amy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was just hospitalized for PE (pulmonary embolism), or in plain terms, blood clots in my lungs. I had a couple of episodes where I felt like I was going to pass out and my family told me my lips were blue. I also have a nagging pain in my back. I found out that this is a blood clot. A couple of nights after working all day I noticed that my feet and lower legs were swollen. I don't remember any pain, but my doctor told me it's only because I ignored the pain knowing I had to go to work. I was told that this was due to clots in my legs that moved up to my lungs. I'm lucky to be alive, and I am thankful for my family. If I wouldn't have listened to them, I would probably be dead right now. If you ever have episodes of shortness of breath along with passing out -- especially if your lips are turning blue – you're not getting oxygen! It's nothing to mess around with. You can die!

Comment from: Maria Rosa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

It started with cancer and I had the med for the chemo on my left side. I used it only once because it clogged and had to be taken out. Then the pain in my left side of the neck and left arm started. Tests were done and in the neck I have deep vein thrombosis and the one in my left arm is so painful. I'm on Coumadin and a special diet.


Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) occurs in the _______________. See Answer