Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis


Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: anna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

On February 28, 2014, in the morning I was stung by an insect. I was sleepy so couldn't identify the insect. Within 15 minutes I had breathing difficulty, dizziness, nausea, black spots, and very low blood pressure. I had seen some movies where a character suffers anaphylaxis so knew I had to get emergency medical treatment and somehow reached the hostel warden. The hospital never had a patient with such a case of allergic reaction. The treatment was a blur as I was in and out of consciousness. Even two months after the attack I was weak with severe asthma and several new allergies, nausea, dizziness, swellings, etc. The allergy specialist told me Ayurveda can be an effective treatment. To go through the Ayurvedic treatment for venom (visha chikitsa) was really difficult but within two weeks, the after effects disappeared. I always keep EpiPen with me and avoid situations that can lead to an insect bite.

Comment from: momonamisson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

After repeated episodes of needing to go to the emergency room (ER) for nonstop nausea/vomiting, I realized how badly I was feeling and there was more to the picture, like chest tightness, lungs burning, skin burning, etc. This last trip to the ER gave me the definitive diagnosis that I was having an anaphylactic reaction because during one visit I was pretreated with IV Benadryl for a test and it made my symptoms so much better. I began to put together the picture of being exposed to something toxic in my home and now we have found that exposure to mold and possibly other allergens has been the source of my problems all along. I have been in a constant state of anaphylaxis and never knew it! Now to solve the mystery of why.

Comment from: mgt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Through the years I've had a lot of pain with muscles and joints, having a heavy repetitive job, so I required inflammatory medication and always tried different ones but always went back off them as l was itchy. A few years ago l had an operation and the hospital put me on inflammatory medication and l was fine. I ran out of it over a few days and got more from my doctor. That night my body went into anaphylaxis, l was unconscious within seconds; l was in and out of consciousness. I split my head open (5 stitches) couldn’t get my head off the floor, crawled to the door to get air, and couldn’t breathe. I did not have a clue what was happening or where l was. I do remember l had severe abdominal pain. I couldn’t talk, the dryness in my mouth was unbearable. I kept trying to say water but paramedics wouldn’t give it to me because my head was split open. They couldn’t understand why my blood pressure was so low and even said my face to them was swollen, they didn’t know l was having anaphylactic reaction. It lasted around 3 hours. That was my second one. I didn’t realize what the first one was till l had the second. It started with the same symptoms, itch in hands but in the first one l couldn’t get my head off the floor but l wasn’t unconscious. The conclusion was l went into shock second time on medication after being off them a few days. I'm lucky l know now so l have EpiPens and wear a medical bracelet. If you have one be careful as there are chances of having a second and it could be severe.

Comment from: Daisy123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a Teen who has had a severe life threatening allergy to peanuts and all nuts my whole life- I have experienced an anaphylactic reaction 4 times in my life, all of them requiring hospitalization and multiple shots of the Epipen- it is very frightening to know that the allergy could take my life next time, but I try to be as careful as I possibly can.I almost always fall unconcious, and once, I even required CPR. I am just so thankful to my teachers and medical professionals that were there to take care of me!

Comment from: Skocits, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 22

I suffered numbness, tingling, and swelling of my tongue. I also experienced an inability to swallow, dried nasal passages, loss of hearing, and hives after spraying a flea and tick treatment on a small area of carpet in my bedroom. I immediately took 50 mg. of Atarax, as I am allergic to Benadryl. But my symptoms were not abated, and my dehydration became severe. I drove myself to the ER a very short distance (one mile) away. I was immediately put on IV fluids, including saline, prednisone, an acid reflux medication, and hydroxyzine (generic for Atarax) for four hours. I was also given Xanax for anxiety. When I was released, I was given prescriptions for two EpiPen, Atarax, Dexilant (acid reflux), and prednisone for 10 days. Quick thinking, immediate action, and avoidance of any type of triggers are urgent measures. Keep antihistamines and EpiPens on hand. Call 911 for help.


Anaphylaxis See what bee, wasp, and hornet stings look like along with other bites that can cause allergic reactions and medical emergencies See Images

From WebMD Logo